Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech | The Boneyard

Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frank went 2–9, 3-8, 6-4-1, 6-5, 5-6-1 and 2-8-1 in his first six seasons.

In his seventh, the went 9-3 and then stayed in the top 25 for almost two decades. At one point, he had eight straight double-digit win seasons.

Of course, he previously had a very successful run as head coach at Murray State. But it took a long time to translate it to VT. I'm not sure any of this relates to 2-10 and his future at UConn. But we might all be wrong. I just hope it doesn't take seven years to figure out

Reaction Score

In his seventh, the went 9-3 and then stayed in the top 25 for almost two decades. At one point, he had eight straight double-digit win seasons.

Of course, he previously had a very successful run as head coach at Murray State. But it took a long time to translate it to VT. I'm not sure any of this relates to 2-10 and his future at UConn. But we might all be wrong. I just hope it doesn't take seven years to figure out

He did it by scheduling a bunch of garbage teams on purpose. For some of those years they were in a fairly weak conference. The AAC isn't terrible but right now we lose to the good teams and the bad ones as well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Frank Beamer actually knows and recognizes that special teams play is important, and he knows how to coach STs. Bobby doesn't have a clue about ST play or how to coach it. Extremely bad analogy.....Diablo isn't in the same galaxy with Beamer.

Reaction Score
I get it. I think of this also.

problem is if you're not getting better, you're getting worse in today's cfb. First year coaches at Syracuse, ECU, and UCF, have had their way with this guy this year. No one is going to tell me ucf and ECU improved so much from last year, 2 teams we beat, that we could only 3 points,against them the last 6 quarters.

Reaction Score
I was listening to Philly radio this morning and they had an interesting take on Doug Pederson completely brain farting during the last 40 seconds of the Sunday Night Football game, context:

There were 36 seconds left, Dallas had just been sacked to their own 18 to set up 3rd and 20(ish). Eagles (with 3 timeouts) chose not to call a timeout, the Cowgirls ran some screen or draw and got tackled short of the yard to gain. With the Eagles not calling timeout, the Cowgirls just let the clock run to 0:00

Eagles could have EASILY called timeout twice, kept about 25 or so second left, made the Cowgirls punt to Darren Sproles, and who knows what would have happened with only needing a field goal to win....

The interesting point by the radio hosts was that coaches probably have never watched a game on broadcast to get a good flow of the game. The coaches are always IN the game, they're there, executing what we're all calling out on TV to do, but never have a chance to step back and see it from a broadcast point of view. They watch millions of hours of game film or All-22 film, but it's not the same as the broadcast. It's easy for us, everything is in one place, you have the score....the timeouts....the time clock....the game clock, the yellow first down line and the line of scrimmage all on one screen (by design of course). Coaches don't have that in front of them, of course they probably have someone in their ear telling them the situation, but through all the conversations happening it could it lost in the noise, and how many places around the stadium is the game clock or the play clock.

Not defending HCBD or any other head coach that screws up...but it was just interesting point of view, since we hardly every think of it that way.

Reaction Score
I was listening to Philly radio this morning and they had an interesting take on Doug Pederson completely brain farting during the last 40 seconds of the Sunday Night Football game, context:

There were 36 seconds left, Dallas had just been sacked to their own 18 to set up 3rd and 20(ish). Eagles (with 3 timeouts) chose not to call a timeout, the Cowgirls ran some screen or draw and got tackled short of the yard to gain. With the Eagles not calling timeout, the Cowgirls just let the clock run to 0:00

Eagles could have EASILY called timeout twice, kept about 25 or so second left, made the Cowgirls punt to Darren Sproles, and who knows what would have happened with only needing a field goal to win....

The interesting point by the radio hosts was that coaches probably have never watched a game on broadcast to get a good flow of the game. The coaches are always IN the game, they're there, executing what we're all calling out on TV to do, but never have a chance to step back and see it from a broadcast point of view. They watch millions of hours of game film or All-22 film, but it's not the same as the broadcast. It's easy for us, everything is in one place, you have the score....the timeouts....the time clock....the game clock, the yellow first down line and the line of scrimmage all on one screen (by design of course). Coaches don't have that in front of them, of course they probably have someone in their ear telling them the situation, but through all the conversations happening it could it lost in the noise, and how many places around the stadium is the game clock or the play clock.

Not defending HCBD or any other head coach that screws up...but it was just interesting point of view, since we hardly every think of it that way.

I think of it and I understand how complicated it would be for me to do. However, when you are paid millions and have 20 helpers down there with you, you are supposed to figure it out. Remember, for that kind of money, you are supposed to have an elite football mind, one that can handle all of those data points and process them.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your point for making this thread

It's just that after a game like ECU, the world seems very black and white. Putting Diaco's head on stick seems like a good idea. But there is always room for doubt. Beamer's 2-9 in his sixth year would get him fired in a lot of places. But it turned out he had something inside him that made him a great coach. Maybe there's something in Diaco. Probably not. But maybe. That's all.

Reaction Score
This ain't the the late 80's though... Times are way different. Plus from '81-'86 he happened to be a HC at Murray State.

Reaction Score

FWIW, Frank Beamer's first six years were hobbled by reduced scholarships due to recruiting violations that occurred under Bill Dooley. It took six years to rebuild the program. Coach Beamer paid for Dooley's mistakes. That was one of the reasons why VT was willing to give coach Beamer time to rebuild the program.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

Scotty,
It's time to "Beam" Palatine back up.

Reaction Score
I think of it and I understand how complicated it would be for me to do. However, when you are paid millions and have 20 helpers down there with you, you are supposed to figure it out. Remember, for that kind of money, you are supposed to have an elite football mind, one that can handle all of those data points and process them.

Oh yeah definitely, I just hadn't thought about it like that before, wasn't excusing anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom