Francesa bodies Ed in Guilford on UCONN- Full Audio | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Francesa bodies Ed in Guilford on UCONN- Full Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Zero?? We aren't what we used to be, but we did win two NCs in the last 5 years. People know UConn basketball. I remember when they didn't.

Do they know? Sure.

Do they care? Ehh, not so much. The public seems to have sold its stock in UConn.

Reaction Score
I call BS, he didn't love us when we were underdogs & never EVER picked us to win it all. He picked Duke & Kentucky he's a bandwagoner. Sure he will talk about us now, who else is he gonna talk about in the tri-state? Does anyone remember 1999, I remember the show when we beat Duke I made sure to tune in AND call. All he kept saying is "You guys won what more do you want geez" wouldn't give credit. I would not doubt that he respects JC he had him on the show plenty of times but he doesn't love us. He is a blowhard and can eat crow and a pen is,for real...... He is not a nice person to his callers and thinks he knows it all.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I call BS, he didn't love us when we were underdogs & never EVER picked us to win it all. He picked Duke & Kentucky he's a bandwagoner. Sure he will talk about us now, who else is he gonna talk about in the tri-state? Does anyone remember 1999, I remember the show when we beat Duke I made sure to tune in AND call. All he kept saying is "You guys won what more do you want geez" wouldn't give credit. I would not doubt that he respects JC he had him on the show plenty of times but he doesn't love us. He is a blowhard and can eat crow and a pen is,for real. He is not a nice person to his callers and thinks he knows it all.
In his defense, no one legitimately thought we'd win in '11 and '14.

Reaction Score
Defend him all you want, I never doubted us EVER..... I didn't need him to root for us nor did I buy into his "expert" opinion, my question is why be an asshat to your callers? We are a tri-state team NYC loves us and when you're wrong say it, be a big boy not a big mouth.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Defend him all you want, I never doubted us EVER..... I didn't need him to root for us nor did I buy into his "expert" opinion, my question is why be an asshat to your callers? We are a tri-state team NYC loves us and when you're wrong say it, be a big boy not a big mouth.
He wouldn't be around for this long if he wasn't an asshat to his callers. His job isn't to say what everyone wants to hear, his job is to get ratings-get people fired up. He's not necessarily a sports "expert", he's in the entertainment business. Why was American Idol so popular? Simon Cowell being an asshat. Why is ESPN First Take so popular? Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith beat each other's face with ridiculous arguments. Why is Francesa an asshat, rude and unapologetic? Because he needs to be. And he's an Italian New Yorker.

Reaction Score
I remember watching Mike and the Mad Dog on YES the day after they did their show live in Hartford for our game vs ND in 2006. They obviously spent a lot of time on UConn, and Francesa said that exact same stuff how the UConn program will dry up as soon as Calhoun retires. He was also saying that back in 2014 while we were making our run through the tournament. I just think he contradicts himself by saying we are the product of one coach. Does he remember Kevin Ollie was the head coach in 2014?

As far as the whole blue blood argument goes, I feel that many people view UConn as more of a cinderella and along the lines of a Butler or VCU because of how we won it in 2011 and 2014. Theres that famous clip of KO from that press conference in 2014 where he says "people are calling us Cinderellas? No, we're UConn". I love how he addressed that and it is very true what he said.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Even our own fans forget we were the 3rd most popular bracket pick to win it all in 2011. All the outsiders yelling "fluke" have gotten in your head.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
'14 is the one that came out of nowhere, and to me, it makes up for '06 when we had the best team in the country. Four is what we should have.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't be around for this long if he wasn't an asshat to his callers. His job isn't to say what everyone wants to hear, his job is to get ratings-get people fired up. He's not necessarily a sports "expert", he's in the entertainment business. Why was American Idol so popular? Simon Cowell being an asshat. Why is ESPN First Take so popular? Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith beat each other's face with ridiculous arguments. Why is Francesa an asshat, rude and unapologetic? Because he needs to be. And he's an Italian New Yorker.

Yeah its entertainment, I watched First Take without Skip and Stephen A yesterday and my god it is awful, they filled the debate desk with radio guys, Freddie Coleman was the best guy at the table, he would be ok as a number 3 at the debate desk, the show is ok without 1 of the 2 Skip or Stephen A but both just makes the show painful to watch.

Reaction Score

He's the GOAT.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I've been listening to Mike, almost everyday, since 1991. When Chris was there it was the perfect blend of sports and comedy . The man knows what he's talking about and has a legit resume. I remember when him and Mad Dog did a show/ broadcast that night, immediately following our first championship . I'm sure Coach Calhoun would be a March madness regular on the show if he didn't work for ESPN. Say what you want , he will be missed.

Reaction Score
I've been listening to Mike, almost everyday, since 1991. When Chris was there it was the perfect blend of sports and comedy . The man knows what he's talking about and has a legit resume. I remember when him and Mad Dog did a show/ broadcast that night, immediately following our first championship . I'm sure Coach Calhoun would be a March madness regular on the show if he didn't work for ESPN. Say what you want , he will be missed.

Calhoun still goes on his show. I don't know if he will during March Madness this year though.

Francessa has always supported UConn (Even as a St Johns grad). Mad Dog and him did a remote at UConn and has had Calhoun on a million times. Credits Calhoun as one of the greatest coaches of all time and a amazing program builder.

Yet some people here don't like him when he is objective about UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Francessa has always supported UConn (Even as a St Johns grad.
No, not always. Mike's a front runner. He killed UConn until they won in 1999. Before that we were just another team that couldn't get it done to him. The one time I called the show to refute Mike's BS, the screener really grilled me on what points I was going to bring up. While I was on hold, Mad Dog started in on Mike using all the stuff I told the screener.

Reaction Score
Listening to the show today. I know many people here don't like Francesa, he can constantly talk over callers, and he's by no means no college hoops whiz, but it would be refreshing if some of the UConn fans that do call his show didn't sound like obnoxious insufferable morons on the air.

Reaction Score
Show is comedy, you got UConn fans calling up and asking Mike if he thinks Brimah can neutralize "the big guy for Colorado" as if Mike has seen even 1 minute of Colorado this year. Can't believe people are this stupid.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
"A-HO!" I almost pissed my paints when I heard Francesa's call on Boomer and Carton this morning. There was another classic on my way home tonight. He spent about 30 seconds of dead air browsing the point spreads of the first round games and made some interesting sounds. I suspect Boomer and Carton got some new sound bite fodder.

Reaction Score
I wish he actually watched college basketball, this is my favorite time of the year for sports talk radio.

Reaction Score
"A-HO!" I almost pissed my paints when I heard Francesa's call on Boomer and Carton this morning. There was another classic on my way home tonight. He spent about 30 seconds of dead air browsing the point spreads of the first round games and made some interesting sounds. I suspect Boomer and Carton got some new sound bite fodder.

Boomer and Carton are horrible. I can't believe people listen to them. They are not funny, at all, and they have the worst sports talk of anyone on WFAN.

Reaction Score
Do they know? Sure.

Do they care? Ehh, not so much. The public seems to have sold its stock in UConn.
Do they know? Sure.

This talk of zero profile and sold stock is ludicrous. First of all, the only people that ever "care" about any team and "buy their stock" are their fans. As for the rest of the world, all we care about is if UConn has a rep as an elite team. We didn't cease being an elite team when Calhoun's teams threw up crappy seasons and we haven't ceased being an elite household name in 2016. That is why making the tournament was so important and, yes, Ollie needs to put a dominant regular season team on the floor very soon too. People equate recruiting success with name. When comparing UConn to Kentucky, they use some sort of mythical aura of Kentucky to justify why they get such better classes. But if someone wants to defend Ollie, they overinflate our recruiting classes and compare them to classes from never elite teams in an attempt to show UConn is still relevant. You can't have it both ways. The reality is more complicated. UConn is still an elite household name and Ollie is doing a decent recruiting job which, in a couple of years, might start to look pretty good if the new guys perform as expected. But we aren't getting our butt kicked by Kentucky in recruiting because they are high profile and we aren't. We are recruiting at a lower level because we are unwilling to do what guys like the squid, Bill Self and Roy "golly gee" Williams are willing to do. People use this mythical aura as an excuse because they are too emotionally weak to handle the ugly truth of big money college sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom