France vs. Russia? | The Boneyard

France vs. Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like some others, I've no tv coverage. Anyone watching?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yes, Buster Six minutes left Francee up by 14.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Four minutes France up 76-56. A runaway 4th Q. Game is sealed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
French are stomping Russia. They beat the Aussies and Russia twice. Obviously, I'm predicting a USA win and not going out on a limb while doing so, but they are a threat.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The problem with the french is that their strengths math up with ours...and we have better players.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
France will not be a cake walk. Solid team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gotta play top-notch perimeter D. If the French cant hit threes at the clip they've been on, their chances obviously decrease dramatically.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Australia I think was still asleep from the opening ceremony when they played France in pool play - supposedly Lauren who was the flag bearer didn't get back from that until something like 2AM.
Russia never put it together in this Olympics.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Russians were hot though, so they had that going for them.

U

UCONNfan1

The problem with the french is that their strengths math up with ours...and we have better players.
I was thinking the same thing. Sure Tina and Ashja played huge defense in the 2nd half, but the Aussie's strentgh clearly is their post. I think France is a much more balanced team, like the USA, and I'm betting we beat France by more than we beat Australia.

Reason being, as you said, their team genetics are more similar to ours and I agree our players are just better. I have no idea how to do any kind of player v. player analysis, but they only beat Canada by 4, Austraila by 4 in OT, and the Czech Republic by 3.

They only have 6 players who have averaged more than 4 PPG unlike team USA who has 10. Their biggest player is 6'4" Gruda who does not appear to be the equal of either Tina or Sylvia. At 6'3", Yacoubou could pose some matchup problems - if Parker isn't up for the challenge, perhaps Jones would be. Thier guards are 5'5", 5'7", and 5'10". I think Miyem is a wing at 6'2".

On paper, I just don't see how they match up against Team USA. To compare the common opponents, Team USA beat Canada by 43, Australia by 13, and Czech Republic by 27. One other thing that really stands our is the USA is averaging over 23 assists per game to France's 13.4. That means to me that the French play a lot more 1 on 1. I don't doubt the US coaches are looking at that to figure out the best way to slow the French offense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw the French twice. They barely won on Tuesday, but DuMerc bailed them out again. As noted, Gruda and Yacoubou are big and strong. Gruda can shoot from midrange too. DuMerc may be the best non-American PG in the world. They shot the ball well and passed it effectively. Even their bigs got assists.

Were there any Russians or Czechs spotted with Chris Dailey learning about the advantages of a UConn degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom