Fragility of NET Quad system (e.g., Marquette) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fragility of NET Quad system (e.g., Marquette)

Reaction Score
I love comparing years and accomplishments- In Calhouns 4th year at UConn in the tough OBE the team went 31-6/12-4 in OBE/Elite 8
He came into a very similar situation at UConn in a more competitive league and when there were very few if any one and done. That is a huge/great accomplishment and I would love to see UConn match that this year.

I don't think DH has done a phenomenal job, that's a huge adjective to throw around. If UConn gets to the finals of the NBE tournament and the second weekend of the NCAAs this season he has done a very good job. He recruits with the best coaches in the country, no doubt about it. He wins a NC, we can talk phenomenal.

To be fair to Hurley this is his second year coaching UConn in the Big East. He has two years recruiting in this conference not four.

Reaction Score
I love comparing years and accomplishments- In Calhouns 4th year at UConn in the tough OBE the team went 31-6/12-4 in OBE/Elite 8
He came into a very similar situation at UConn in a more competitive league and when there were very few if any one and done. That is a huge/great accomplishment and I would love to see UConn match that this year.

I don't think DH has done a phenomenal job, that's a huge adjective to throw around. If UConn gets to the finals of the NBE tournament and the second weekend of the NCAAs this season he has done a very good job. He recruits with the best coaches in the country, no doubt about it. He wins a NC, we can talk phenomenal.
So if we don’t get to the finals of the NBE tournament and then don’t make the second weekend, he sucks? How many times did Calhoun not make the finals of the BE or the second weekend of the tourney? Your bar is way to high, come back down to reality!
For comparison, Patrick Ewing won the NBE tourney last year, he must be a good coach.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Marquette road win is safely a Q1 unless they lose like all their remaining games

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm all for separating Whaley and Sanogo and I still kind of feel like it needs to happen. But the reality is that our offensive numbers are much better with both on the floor than with one. I have no idea how because it doesn't seem that way at all, but we now have a 25 game sample where it's happened

Five years from now, there will be a lot fewer people arguing that "smaller is better" in basketball. This year, as last year, the data for UConn is overwhelming that basketball is a sport that has a height advantage. 5 out offenses are actually very inefficient, because it is easy for defenses to rotate to shooters along the perimeter if they don't have to defend the middle, cutters and dribble penetration from 20+ feet out to the basket is easy to defend, and offensive rebounds are the highest expected value shots on the court.

The funny thing is that you actually end up with worse 3 point shooting in 5 out sets than you do in 4 or 3 out sets, yet the rationale for playing 5 out is to get more 3's.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
In today's NET rankings, UCONN checks in at 18, and Marquette at 30.

UConn is 3-6 in Quad 1 games, and 5-1 vs Quad 2.

If Marquette slides one spot down, we only have two Quad 1 wins. So Marquette needs to keep winning!

As we approach seeding and tourney talk, there is perhaps too much emphasis placed on Quad 1 wins. Useful, but kind of quirky.

I imagine the committee also looks at the summation of Quad 1 plus Quad 2, where we excel.

Of course we have ample chances to add more Q1 wins to the resume in the coming weeks. Sure is nice being in the Big East!
This is why the Villanova game, and too an extent Xavier, are so important

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I also think the Auburn win skews us a bit. Look at Providence who is 5-1 in both Q1 and Q2 yet are 28th.
PCs ranking in nearly all of the metrics is skewed because they're winning close games. Many of these metrics give style points. It is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom