Foxsports.com Preseason Top 25 - UConn 13th | The Boneyard

Foxsports.com Preseason Top 25 - UConn 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn 13th. I think that's the highest I've seen them in any of the preseason rankings.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...tdown-reid-forgrave-s-preseason-top-25-111115

13. UConn. I’m bullish on Kevin Ollie’s group because of this loaded backcourt, led by Seton Hall graduate transfer Sterling Gibbs. Gibbs’ phenomenal last season was overshadowed by one split-second moment when he lost control on the court, but don’t forget how good he was for most of the year. The performance of junior center Amida Brimah, an elite shot blocker, is key. If Brimah stays near the basket on both offense and defense and simply does what he does, he can play himself into the first round of the NBA Draft and UConn into the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Blatant homerism aside, this is a very fair ranking. This team has one of the best starting 5's in the country, with great depth. And seeing them ranked any lower than this on other sites is just flat out wrong.

Reaction Score
Many of the teams UConn either plays or may play have landed on the media's preseason ranking lists.

Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, Gonzaga, Maryland, Georgetown, SMU, Cincinnati.

The only ones I haven't seen ranked are Ohio State and Syracuse.

It's possible that 10 or 11 of UConn's 30+ games will be against teams ranked in the top 25 when UConn plays them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even I think this is a bit high. I'm thinking more 17,18,19. Yes, all the pieces are there but it is still too early to be confident that they are going gel. That said, I think they'll get there, but I'm not sure about on the court chemistry and everyone being comfortable with their roles. Gibbs, Purvis, Adams come to mind. That's a lot of talent and a lot of self-confidence. That could be a recipe for someone to be unhappy. I do trust KO to figure it out.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a good barometer. If he plays out of his mind we will be formidable. Sure we have others to step up, but I want to see the 3rd year Brimah averaging double digit rebounds. He can get double digit points (alley oops, put backs, etc.). I just want him to clear the boards.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Brimah is a good barometer. If he plays out of his mind we will be formidable. Sure we have others to step up, but I want to see the 3rd year Brimah averaging double digit rebounds. He can get double digit points (alley oops, put backs, etc.). I just want him to clear the boards.
Shonn Miller will be a huge benefit to Brimah's rebounding numbers. I'm thinking an Adrien/Thabeet type combo.

Reaction Score

Unrealistic.

I have concluded that Brimah's chief problem - vis a vis Rebounding the ball - is his hands. They aren't good & probably are small for a bigger guy. He gets the effort in; though, I think he has low basketball IQ on how balls bounce off certain types of shots. OUR Shonn Miller has classic rebounding skillset. He knows positioning, boxout & leverage. He gets to the right spot. The combo of Hamilton & Miller will be far better than last year; watch for Enoch to make progress all year.

Reaction Score
It's about time. This team has way too much depth and flexibility. Only seeing through expedition goggles, but Miller, Enoch, Omar and "team gelling" all seem to be exceeding expectations. We suspected Jalen to be good, but you never know with freshman and he is showing great flashes that he can make a solid contribution. If a solid Omar and Enoch are backing up the top 6 with Nolan to boot (and maybe SC as well), this is a lot of fire power. And the chip on the shoulder is there too, Purvis and collectively. I'm getting pumped!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Unrealistic.

I have concluded that Brimah's chief problem - vis a vis Rebounding the ball - is his hands. They aren't good & probably are small for a bigger guy. He gets the effort in; though, I think he has low basketball IQ on how balls bounce off certain types of shots. OUR Shonn Miller has classic rebounding skillset. He knows positioning, boxout & leverage. He gets to the right spot. The combo of Hamilton & Miller will be far better than last year; watch for Enoch to make progress all year.

Good analysis. The preseason exhibition games showed exactly that problem .. ... balls bouncing right off his hands. Hope it can be fixed some how because he can really get up there. Cannot see him getting to the next level let alone a first round pick if he cannot consistently rebound at the collegiate level. They are not going to pay that kind of money for a seven footer who cannot rebound. I recall KO stating in preseason that he was not going to be as patient with AB this year with foolish fouls and not doing the things that would be expected of a third year center; namely rebounding. Despite this I agree as well that we should be way better with Miller, the others returning and Enoch. I am very optimistic that we will not be so disappointed with the lack of rebounding overall. I really hope AB will learn to play with his head (and hands) because he has all the heart in the world and I do wish him to have a great season.

Reaction Score
IMO, Brimah still doesn't have enough body strength to make it in the NBA. Forget the hands; I see him getting pushed around constantly under the boards in the college game, always falling on the floor, getting overpowered. Until that changes, I just don't see him as a successful NBA player.

Reaction Score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even I think this is a bit high. I'm thinking more 17,18,19. Yes, all the pieces are there but it is still too early to be confident that they are going gel. That said, I think they'll get there, but I'm not sure about on the court chemistry and everyone being comfortable with their roles. Gibbs, Purvis, Adams come to mind. That's a lot of talent and a lot of self-confidence. That could be a recipe for someone to be unhappy. I do trust KO to figure it out.

That's how this sort of projection works. The teams they're ranked against are also relying on new players who may or may not "gel."

Reaction Score
IMO, Brimah still doesn't have enough body strength to make it in the NBA. Forget the hands; I see him getting pushed around constantly under the boards in the college game, always falling on the floor, getting overpowered. Until that changes, I just don't see him as a successful NBA player.
Agree with this 100%. Just look at last season when he scored 40 vs Coppin St and then 0 vs Duke the following game. I think Brimah could be that "X Factor" as some people call it. If he did make a huge jump from last season and becomes a guy that can average 8-10 rebounds a game to go along with his shot blocking ability, this team will be a lot more dangerous than we think.

Reaction Score
If the kid gets 6-7 rebounds a game and stays out of foul trouble while blocking shots it will help immensely. With the supporting cast of characters now all else is gravy!

Reaction Score

Both are true. He needs more overall strength and his hands are weak.

How many times have we seen Brimah get his hands on a rebound, get bumped and lose the ball? The answer is many. Those two weaknesses should improve together. As he grows stronger, he will able to absorb contact and maintain possession. It is as much a natural progression as it is a technique or weight room issue.

That said, he is still a very good college basketball player. His offense is under appreciated. He is an elite shot blocker. His size and athleticism will get him drafted. He has NBA value.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yeah don't see him averaging double digit rebounds, considering you can count the number of players on high-major teams that do that each year on one hand. But if Brimah can make a leap by avoiding foul trouble, rebounding at a better rate than he did last year, and hanging onto the ball a little better in the low post, then this team can be very dangerous.

Reaction Score
Unrealistic.

I pretty much agree with the sentiment of him being pushed around and having weak hands is a problem that could affect his draft status. That said he can still do a lot for us. I still expect him to dominate weak opponents but now that we have Miller and Enoch think things will be vastly different for us againt good teams. I'm very psyched on Miller's skill set. He will take rebounds right out out of Brimah's hands, watch.

Reaction Score
Unrealistic.

I pretty much agree with the sentiment of him being pushed around and having weak hands is a problem that could affect his draft status. That said he can still do a lot for us. I still expect him to dominate weak opponents but now that we have Miller and Enoch think things will be vastly different for us againt good teams. I'm very psyched on Miller's skill set. He will take rebounds right out out of Brimah's hands, watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom