Foxen - with authority! | The Boneyard

Foxen - with authority!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No Brimah? No problem.

#startfoxen

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He's not your average walk-on. He'd start at lesser D1 programs.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

No, he wouldn't. Love watching him when he does play though. Great hustle.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of posting that he would be a decent 6th man in America East or NEC. Any CT high school hoop junkies here have info on his career? Was he recruited?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You don't think he could start for lesser programs like UMASS-Lowell, Marist, Boston College.....???

Look, I don't like talking bad about any of our kids. But he did a postgrad year at South Kent Prep, in the most heavily-scouted HS league in the country (and at a program with one of the best track records of any school in that league at churning out DI talent - take a look here and see for yourself: http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/schools/south-kent-school). And no DI school offered him. Just to give some perspective, there are dozens upon dozens of coaches that scout the NEPSAC (both in league play and at showcases) from all over the country, yet none of them offered him a scholarship.

Someone mentioned America East - Binghamton has 2 of his teammates from his South Kent year, Romello Walker and Dusan Perovic on their roster. Their coach probably saw Foxen numerous times, but he didn't extend him an offer. South Kent also sent kids to Mercer, Iona, and Wichita State that year. These mid/low major coaches watched him play and they evidently decided that he wasn't going to be a player at that level. I know we like to build our kids up when we get the chance, but if what you're asserting were true, then he would be on scholarship elsewhere and not here.

Obviously, this would be a different situation if he had received offers from this type of school after his PG year and decided to turn them down to be a UConn Husky. But unless someone has inside information that isn't readily available online, that's simply not the case.

Bottom line, he is great and he has quickly become one of my favorite UConn walk-ons of all time. Let's just not make him something he isn't.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Our best walk-on in my lifetime was EJ Harrison, or maybe, Andre Drummond.

Reaction Score
UCweCONN said:
You don't think he could start for lesser programs like UMASS-Lowell, Marist, Boston College.....???

No chance. When the walkons get isolated against rotation guys on the other team they typically look like a kid who won a raffle. Just completely overmatched, even against the slapd i ck teams. That's why everyone goes crazy when they score.

Reaction Score
I think he probably could play at Southern ,or New Haven. Div 2 .6'8 guys with some ability are pretty difficult to find. once you get past D1.
Just a thought but couldn't playing for a Prep school with legimate D1 prospects cause you to be easily overlooked?

Reaction Score
No chance. When the walkons get isolated against rotation guys on the other team they typically look like a kid who won a raffle. Just completely overmatched, even against the slapd i ck teams. That's why everyone goes crazy when they score.

I definitely feel that way most years, but in all seriousness, I think the walk-ons are better than normal this year. I don't think they're starters at any D1 program, but I think there are a few teams they might play for, and honestly, CCSU might be one of them.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Foxen is a legit 6'8", plays hard, moves pretty well and has at least average athleticism. He is only a sophomore. If he puts in the work, who knows what his ceiling will be?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
What happened to the walk-on that was mentioned before the season that is the son of a former college player? I commented at the time when I read that his father was 14 when the kid was born. Is this kid on the team?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
There are two tiers of walk-on: those like Foxen that are included in the roster/media guide and travel to/dress for all games, and those (typically youngins) who practice with the team but are not officially listed and do not make trips or dress for games - if you look closely they are sometimes seated in the first row behind the bench at home games. David Hawkins' son Niko is one of the members of the second group of walk-ons.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
There are two tiers of walk-on: those like Foxen that are included in the roster/media guide and travel to/dress for all games, and those (typically youngins) who practice with the team but are not officially listed and do not make trips or dress for games - if you look closely they are sometimes seated in the first row behind the bench at home games. David Hawkins' son Niko is one of the members of the second group of walk-ons.
So Hawkins isn't a 'player'? With a father who played D1, I thought he'd be tier one.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
So Hawkins isn't a 'player'? With a father who played D1, I thought he'd be tier one.

He's a freshman. Ollie sets up his system for this as one that values experience and longevity above all else. Foxen was a practice-only guy for most of last year, and he got promoted. I believe Noyes is a similar case.

Where they are in the walk-on system has little to do with talent and a lot to do with work ethic, academics, and commitment to the program. What relevance do minor variations in skill amongst them have when the on-court role of a walk-on is limited couple of minutes at the end of blowouts? Niko Hawkins may be the best basketball player in the group, but God willing we will never be in a situation where just how good our walk-ons are will have anybearing on the outcome of a game. These guys are viewed on a completely separate paradigm from the one used to evaluate the scholarship players.

Reaction Score
Guest was a really good walk on. recruited by hobbs @ GWU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom