Fox sports go | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Fox sports go

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, that was disappointing. Time for another beer.

Reaction Score
Like Gilbert... Adams ... Vitale.... Hints of Polley.

You know who it doesn't look like.... Anderson Larrier who ever else transferred in.

Dick_Vitale.jpg

You sure you want our guys to look like this?

Reaction Score
Late in the second half, there was some encouraging stretches, primarily when Larrier was not on the floor. When Larrier was on the floor, the team was out of sync. He had to have a very negative +/- when he was on the floor.

The guards played up and down. Vital, Adams, and Gilbert look like they can play well together. I'm not sure what Anderson brings to the table although he did defend well at times.

It looks like bigs by committee this year. Carlton has promise, but he needs to get stronger. Cobb throws his weight around and looks in good shape, but he looks like he will play limited minutes. Diarra looked rusty in limited minutes. Whaley looks like he needs to redshirt.

Overall, a discouraging exhibition game, but it was good that they played a real team so they saw the problems. I'm really worried about Larrier. He just was not good in any aspect of the game tonight. I think UConn needs him to play well to be a good team, but if he plays anywhere close to how he played tonight, he will detract from the team.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Look, it's the first exhibition game, with lots of new players, and the ones who were here were coming off injury. Practicing all of 2 weeks.
That said, a few observations:
  • Somebody better teach these guys some UConn-style man-to-man defense. Or Chief will be mad about all the zones again this year.
  • The offense needs more structure when you don't have experience. The "NBA style" offense requires experience.
  • The youngsters weren't terrible. I saw some things from Polley, Carlton and Whaley that makes me think they've got a chance. Polley looked good on offense, and all three of them knew how to box out and did it on every shot.
  • With no uber-rim protector, they're going to have to get more pressure on the perimeter to make the passes inside difficult, yet still cut off drives.
  • Gilbert is rusty, but very quick, a good driver, but needs to have a plan for his drives. What is he setting up? Who will be taking the shot?
  • Vital's 3 point shot will be one of our better weapons.
  • That said, we can't be just jacking up 3's. That looked to be the offense at times.
  • Cobb was lost out there. He'll need to pick it up if he wants to see the floor, size and strength notwithstanding.
  • Adams looked good mostly, but forced shots at times, and needs to have his head up on his drives for open players. He collapses the defense when he drives, so somebody is open (or should be).
Regarding Providence, they've got a lot of guys who know how to put the ball in the basket. By the way, Kyron Cartwright is pretty good at the point guard spot. Anyone know how he was rated coming out of HS? (Just kidding, ESPN had him at a 72 rating/3*)

Reaction Score
Look, it's the first exhibition game, with lots of new players, and the ones who were here were coming off injury. Practicing all of 2 weeks.
That said, a few observations:
  • Somebody better teach these guys some UConn-style man-to-man defense. Or Chief will be mad about all the zones again this year.
We are waaaaay too aggressive on D. I understand it's a mindset, but we closed out way too hard so many times and they just blew by us. We had to close out so often because we over help and double on penetration, which leads to far too many rotations.

• The offense needs more structure when you don't have experience. The "NBA style" offense requires experience.
Far too many jacked up jump shots with little to no actual offense run, no paint touches, etc.

• Vital's 3 point shot will be one of our better weapons.
He's going to play a lot of minutes if everyone else continues to shoot poorly.

• Adams looked good mostly, but forced shots at times, and needs to have his head up on his drives for open players. He collapses the defense when he drives, so somebody is open (or should be).
I love that he's drawing a lot of fouls this year. The extra hangtime on his drives and drawing the contact will pay dividends in the long-run. If he's shooting a jumper, though, it better be completely wide open.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We are waaaaay too aggressive on D. I understand it's a mindset, but we closed out way too hard so many times and they just blew by us. We had to close out so often because we over help and double on penetration, which leads to far too many rotations.

It's tough. You have to be up on players to make outside-in passes difficult, yet you have to be balanced to cut off the drive. And on close-outs you have to be under control - can't go running out at a player who still has his dribble alive. You also have to know when a shooter is floating out at the 3 point line and shade him, so the close out comes as the pass to him is made, not after he's squared-up.

Reaction Score
IDK. Lots more to see. But right now, I hope we're not looking at a "talent gap." It's nice to have Adams, but, ultimately, gotta have at least two more legitimate scoring threats and two guys who can work to set up shots to have any change of beating better teams this year.
Trying to be positive here, but I was really hoping for more. Ug. Not sure I can handle another rough season.

Reaction Score
Wow MAL was intimidated by Gilbert? Must be something else that went on here.

TL - No one in the know has categorized him as Rudy Gay, or even Albert Mourning.*

PC is a top 25 team, and we are renovating with just really Adams. It is on KO to mold the team together to produce.

Maybe success happens or maybe not, but this is the year where KO shows his stuff.

Not sure how it will all pan out, but this exhibition game surely stands out as a call to arms.

* Side note I had to google former UConn teams to find Albert Mouring who was a name thought for greatness but was kind of was a bust and when you go thru so many years and see the tremendoes UConn players year after year - it gets a bit depressing. A real eye opener for me. For instance google any year from last to 2000 and you see two or three total stars. On this team I see how many???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom