Fourth quarter thoughts | The Boneyard

Fourth quarter thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
  • In recent years past, the fourth quarter of a game was often problematic with opponents out scoring the Huskies. Sometimes this was the result of playing the benchies but not always, especially the last couple of years. This season, noticeably in the last dozen games or so, the team has been strong in the fourth quarter with Aubrey, Dorka, and Nika are usually the Q4 heroes. My observation is that Aaliyah and Lou have been worn out by being ping-ponged around for three quarters so that their teammates need to step up for them and they have in a big way. This has been huge for the team
  • A physical defense like the ones the Huskies are seeing is a double-edged sword. It’s as fatiguing for the defender as it is for UConn. A team with a deep quality bench, like South Carolina, can play tough d for 40 minutes and maintain their scoring output while others can’t.
  • The conditioning of the Huskies is fantastic. Those that maligned Andrea Hudy earlier in the year probably owe her an apology. The fourth quarter runs wouldn’t be happening if the Huskies weren’t so well conditioned

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I think of all the big plays Aubrey has made in the fourth quarter, including the spectacular block and two free throws in the closing moments of Saturday's Georgetown game. She has been clutch when the game is on the line.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I think of all the big plays Aubrey has made in the fourth quarter, including the spectacular block and two free throws in the closing moments of Saturday's Georgetown game. She has been clutch when the game is on the line.
That block was tremendous. Almost anyone else that would have been an easy score, not Aubrey.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Still PO'd at the refs for not calling an intentional foul on #15. There is no way grabbing and pulling on the arm like that is a common foul, Aubrey could have been hurt on the play. They could have at least done a replay review.
Almost all fouls committed with less than a minute to go are intentional. The refs know that the player is trying to stop the clock, not harm a player so the call isn’t made.

Reaction Score
Still PO'd at the refs for not calling an intentional foul on #15. There is no way grabbing and pulling on the arm like that is a common foul, Aubrey could have been hurt on the play. They could have at least done a replay review.
A very very high percentage of fouls committed in the last two minutes of a game by the team that is behind are intentional but accepted by the media and some fans. During the game officials let mauling, banging underneath, wrestling on the floor for a ball and moving blocks go. Yes I said blocks not screens. The new not to call a foul move is everything is a jump ball when someone is getting mauled. Yet some officials will call an arm touch long after the ball has left the shooters hands.

It is a disrespect of the game to see the last two minutes of a game take 10 minutes to play due to officials not willing to call intentional fouls. @HuskyNan who came in as I am typing, point taken but that is way too much control of the game by officials. There has and should be consistency through out the game. Someone who has hammered the opponent the the entire game should not get a whistle by chasing from behind and touching them, that or in many cases simply hugging. The hug was intentional. ;)

Teams have timeouts to stop the clock to use when desired as part of the rules of the game. Lax officials should not become part of the game or any coaching staff. The game should be officiated the same from start to 00:00.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Almost all fouls committed with less than a minute to go are intentional. The refs know that the player is trying to stop the clock, not harm a player so the call isn’t made.
Nan the grabbing was enough, but the pulling on the arm like she did could have dislocated Aubrey's shoulder, I know because it happened to me.

Reaction Score
The 2nd quarter is to this team what the 4th quarter was to the last few years’ teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Teams have timeouts to stop the clock to use when desired as part of the rules of the game. Lax officials should not become part of the game or any coaching staff. The game should be officiated the same from start to 00:00.
Gotta agree on this one. Lacrosse officials should not be officiating women's college basketball games.

Reaction Score
The officiating crew gets paid to call fouls. The fouls are written down, so we know what they are. When the foul is committed it should be called it should not be up to the ref to decide when it’s a foul and when it isn’t. The game against South Carolina was ridiculous seeing Lou get fouled so often coming around a pic and having it not called those Refs should not be allowed in conference games.

Reaction Score
The officiating crew gets paid to call fouls. The fouls are written down, so we know what they are. When the foul is committed it should be called it should not be up to the ref to decide when it’s a foul and when it isn’t. The game against South Carolina was ridiculous seeing Lou get fouled so often coming around a pic and having it not called those Refs should not be allowed in conference games.
They also shouldn't be allowed in out of conference games and NCAA games. In other words, they need to go back to baby ref school. The NCAA has to emphasize freedom of movement. It starts with them. I just think it is also typical of the poor quality of women's officiating.

These women are bigger, stronger, and more athletic than ever and are allowed to play this game in a very physical way without officiating controlling the game. It has tarnished the beauty of the sport and likely has led to more injuries. I hope you will see some changes in the future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan the grabbing was enough, but the pulling on the arm like she did could have dislocated Aubrey's shoulder, I know because it happened to me.
I watched it in real time rather than the clip. The kid made an obvious foul, she wanted to stop the clock, and she had Aubrey’s hand but it was more to keep her from falling since the kid didn’t stop but ran with her instead.

Both teams showed good sportsmanship. In Georgetown’s offensive possession, the play before the block, Aaliyah knocked down a Georgetown player while going for a held ball. She helped her up and there was a lot of shoulder patting between the two teams.

UConn fans have adopted a victim mentality the team never has. It’s embarrassing to come to the Boneyard and see people crying about fouls for days after a game.

Reaction Score
We don't need a victim-hood to feel good. But... just went back to look at a couple of Diana Taurasi finals, and it's a different game. Freedom of movement would be great to bring back.

Reaction Score
UConn fans have adopted a victim mentality the team never has. It’s embarrassing to come to the Boneyard and see people crying about fouls for days after a game.
I can only speak for myself and I want to wish you a happy Valentines Day. Back to the topic the thread was fourth quarter thoughts. Mine along with others were about the way the game was officiated differently in the last few minutes. That is our thoughts / opinions nobody crying.

Much like Geno post SC game on officiating, Dawn took it wrong, no attack on anyone but the officials not consistent with the rules of the game. Hard to understand how you would be embarrassed to come here regardless of opinions. Most all are very knowledgeable of the game with respect of the game and this forum as well as yourself.

Reaction Score
I watched it in real time rather than the clip. The kid made an obvious foul, she wanted to stop the clock, and she had Aubrey’s hand but it was more to keep her from falling since the kid didn’t stop but ran with her instead.

Both team showed good sportsmanship. In Georgetown’s offensive possession, the play before the lock, Aaliyah knocked down a Georgetown player while going for a held ball. She helped her up and there was a lot of shoulder patting between the two teams.

This is simply an outstanding post and gets a 100% thumbs up from me. I cannot chose a like emoji that express my approval and agreement strongly enough. (I’m not just kissing the feet of Her Majesty, the mod. this time. )

Unfortunately, fan whining about officiating occurs more often among fans of highly successful programs that expect to win every game. I am directing this to my Gamecock brothers and sisters too or perhaps especially. After a win, there are few comments about officiating but a loss means, at best, the refs were incompetent - at worst, the refs were crooked. Every road loss involves “ home cooking.” We ALL, as fans are biased,

I think the vast, VAST majority of officials are honest and would like to make the correct call on every play - but they can’t because (UConn v. SCar for example) the athletes are to too fast, too strong, too skilled and too athletic for the ref to make the proper decision on every play. Competence levels vary, but none are perfect. Mistakes are bound to happen. Do we want the games to bog down with endless stoppages for replay reviews? Well, I don’t anyway.

And when a trailing team fouls in the last minutes of a relatively close game , sure it’s intentional- that’s part of the traditional and standard tactics of the game. Geno teaches it. Dawn teaches it. If a coach doesn’t teach it, he/she should be fired. I urge all to re/read Nan’s paragraphs one and two . That’s how we should all look at fouls in the last minutes.

Sorry for the sermon and I apologize for the length of my sermon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom