Four or five times we had it down to one. | The Boneyard

Four or five times we had it down to one.

Reaction Score
And every time, we just couldn't make the basket or the stop needed to take the lead. We just couldn't get it done. We would take a poor shot, or make a bad decision or turn the ball over or give up a three point play. When the opportunity presented itself, we simply could not make a winning play.

We did not lose this game in the first half. We played poorly. But this game was available for the last 15 minutes. We could climb the hill but we couldn't plant the flag.

At some point, some one needs to get it done. It ain't on Hurley, he coached his butt off. He keep us in this game by changing defenses and riding his starters. It's strange to say this, but a team that won 15 in a row, needs to learn to win.

Reaction Score
If we don’t go down 17 in the first half, we probably win. We can’t keep sleepwalking from the start. It was a habit under KO and it’s become a habit under Hurley. Something needs to change. Even the bottom dwellers of the BE start hot against us.

Reaction Score
If we don’t go down 17 in the first half, we probably win. We can’t keep sleepwalking from the start. It was a habit under KO and it’s become a habit under Hurley. Something needs to change. Even the bottom dwellers of the BE start hot against us.
We led SHU by 14 at half in the last game.

And that came down to Karaban missing a wide open, followed by giving up an offensive rebound. Not making winning plays at winning time. Not knowing how to win.

Reaction Score

And that came down to Karaban missing a wide open, followed by giving up an offensive rebound. Not making winning plays at winning time. Not knowing how to win.
Said it’s a habit, not that its every game.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That’s what concerns me, more than anything else. Isn’t just tonight. Go back to last year, many of the same guys, Villanova in the BET and NMSU. They never get over the hump.

I think they will but it’s hope more than belief.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This remains 'that growing edge.' It cannot be denied. It can't be waved away. It's frustrating, and, from a broad sample of comments, crazy-making.

There have been a few examples of success in the past 3 seasons, but teams that do have a strong record of closing games, and winning, do get discussed as such. It IS a team skill. We aren't there yet.

Teams & coaches that win 6, or 4, or 2 in a row on NCAA Tourney weekends generally have a good track record in this area.
Said it’s a habit, not that its every game.
I hear & appreciate the distinction you made.
There are posters here who do not draw the distinction. I wonder if they can and will get over their hump.

caw

Reaction Score
Two plays that were just absurdly bad that stood out to me (and I don't recall score at the time) were the missed alley-oop fastbreak and Jackson's goal-tending (that ball was going to roll off). Those are plays you need to make correctly to win.

Reaction Score
Two plays that were just absurdly bad that stood out to me (and I don't recall score at the time) were the missed alley-oop fastbreak and Jackson's goal-tending (that ball was going to roll off). Those are plays you need to make correctly to win.
And Jackson the common denominator.

I think he needs to accept a complimentary role off the bench.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
And every time, we just couldn't make the basket or the stop needed to take the lead. We just couldn't get it done. We would take a poor shot, or make a bad decision or turn the ball over or give up a three point play. When the opportunity presented itself, we simply could not make a winning play.

We did not lose this game in the first half. We played poorly. But this game was available for the last 15 minutes. We could climb the hill but we couldn't plant the flag.

At some point, some one needs to get it done. It ain't on Hurley, he coached his butt off. He keep us in this game by changing defenses and riding his starters. It's strange to say this, but a team that won 15 in a row, needs to learn to win.
We need to learn to close at the end of games.

It is wonderful that we can put up a 17-2 run, and stuff. But we really need that end-of-the-game toughness to impose our will.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Just to clarify, the half that started out getting down 9-0 and ended with UConn being down 15 points wasn't the reason for the loss. It was the half where UConn scored 55 points and outscored Xavier by 13 ithat is the reason for the loss.

Unless you want to die on the hill that no game is lost in the first half because there is always a second, you're off on everything. And if your point is that every team has a second half to overcome whatever shortcoming they had in the first and still win a game, then you used too many words.

Regardless, idiotic post.

Reaction Score
And Jackson the common denominator.

I think he needs to accept a complimentary role off the bench.
I was thinking the same thing after the game. But I wonder if you limit him, or, even more severe - tell him to stop shooting, as many on here suggest- what could that do to his energy and mental state.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Seems like this must be the plan because neither one chose or chooses to call timeouts to remind the team or individual(s) of that. After reading the recent ESPN article re: interview with DH it makes sense because on game night "he is all confidence" and "not reprimanding" (with a quick timeout or hook). That mindset is passive and flys in the face of reality. KO used to just sit there with a "hangdawg" look and Hurley makes faces and arm gestures at refs.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing after the game. But I wonder if you limit him, or, even more severe - tell him to stop shooting, as many on here suggest- what could that do to his energy and mental state.
This raises the decision or question of how do you play with no point guard and a point forward who embarassingly is dared to shoot. It's pretty obvious someone has to look at things objectively instead of writing scripts for people to do things they are not in some way equipped to do. This is on the coach 100%.

Reaction Score
It's a fair criticism of our teams over the last few years that we've failed to get over the hump in close games (though, on the flip side, we've also not gotten enough credit for turning small leads into big leads late in games, but that's another topic). Some people point their finger at Hurley, claim that he gets tight in close games and it rubs off on the players.

I would pose the question of whether it's the players themselves -- do any of them possess the clutch "gene"?

Yes, sometimes it's overblown to the point of cliche, but there really is something to be said for guys who have an instinct for making plays that need to be made in crunch time, knowing when to step on the gas or the brake, have a feel for momentum swings, etc. That sort of thing is more or less innate, some guys just have it, and some don't. It's not exactly coachable. If you played or coached competitive sports, you've seen this, you understand this, both the clutch side and the opposite.

We've seen it at UConn. Someone like Shabazz Napier, even in a reserve role as a freshman, you could tell that he had this instinct. And he made good on it when asked to be a leader.

At this point, I think we can reasonably conclude that the go-to guys on this team right now do not fall into that category. Andre Jackson, as an example, makes the highlight-reel plays but has a horrible sense of what's needed at crucial moments in the game. It's not obvious what a coach is supposed to do about that beyond benching him, which isn't practical.

"But it's been the same way for 3 years," you argue, "that's not just one group of guys." OK, well, we didn't get to see how things would have ended in 2020. The two years after that were pretty continuous in terms of leadership with Cole/Martin/Whaley/Polley. Bouknight, well, you can see in his post-UConn career that he's not this sort of performer. Sanogo and Jackson were parts of all 3, Hawkins the last 2 (albeit limited down the stretch last year). The transfers are new, but how are you going to attribute their clutchness, or not, to coaching?

If you're going to fault Hurley for anything, I would say it's in his recruiting. Not on the talent side, where he's actually been quite good (most high profile HS or transfer recruits -- Bouknight, Cole, Martin, Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, Clingan, Karaban, Newton -- have overperformed if anything), but in these intangibles.

I think we're seeing glimpses of newcomers like Karaban having potential here, and hopefully Castle and others in his class are part of a positive trend in this area.

tl;dr: Hurley bears some responsibility, but it's more to do with not bringing in clutch performers than it is his coaching personality or X's and O's

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Crisp execution, poise, and situational awareness, and flexible response are things of beauty when we observe them, and sources of horror when they unexpectedly disappear or do not materialize even though they seemed quite there for the taking moments before.

Reaction Score
It’s clear from last night that we need to start seeing this as Hawkins team and not Jackson/Sanogo’s team. He’s a year younger but our offense is 100x better when we run through him and Newton vs pounding it into Sanogo all game. I think the light went off for Hawkins last night realizing that if he gets overplayed he can immediately drive to the hoop for a layup or get fouled. Jackson shouldn’t be shooting more than 5 shots a game unless they are wide open dunks or layups. If guys are going to sag on him like the start of the game yesterday then Hawk needs to us him as a screen and force the defense back out. X is probably the toughest team in this league and they had one of their better shooting performances with Boum hitting 5 of 7 threes. I might be in the minority here but I actually think we may win out going into the BET. Only game that really scares me is at Creighton

Reaction Score

The big issue is that we make winning plays at winning time in only like 20% of our close games. It seems more often than not that if we win a close game, it's due to sheer luck.

This is our record in games decided by 6 points or fewer (2 possessions) since Hurley took over

2018-2019: 1-6
2019-2020: 6-8
2020-2021: 1-3
2021-2022: 4-8
2022-2023: 0-4

Total: 12-29

That is atrocious. Love the guy, but this ain't what you want to see

Reaction Score
A loss is a loss.. No way to sugarcoat it. But I'll take the UConn team that showed up in the second half with energy and intensity for the rest of the BE season vs anyone left on our schedule. Gotta learn to close games out with smart BB.. At closing time.

Hard to overcome 50% three point percentages .. Next

Reaction Score
The big issue is that we make winning plays at winning time in only like 20% of our close games. It seems more often than not that if we win a close game, it's due to sheer luck.

This is our record in games decided by 6 points or fewer (2 possessions) since Hurley took over

2018-2019: 1-6
2019-2020: 6-8
2020-2021: 1-3
2021-2022: 4-8
2022-2023: 0-4

Total: 12-29

That is atrocious. Love the guy, but this ain't what you want to see
This will take more work, but what I'm more interested in is what is our record in games that were within 6 points with 5 minutes to go?

A lot of our games we had narrow leads in the middle of the second half that ended up as blowouts. That's not a meaningless outcome.

Reaction Score
Jackson missing wideopen layup early in second half. Clingan missing both free throws. Jackson with a reckless ally opp pass attempt to Sanogo. Jackson with the play resulting in a goaltending call. I disagreed with the call but it was a bad decision by Jackson. These plays really hurt and with all the good things done in the second half they made the difference.

Reaction Score
This will take more work, but what I'm more interested in is what is our record in games that were within 6 points with 5 minutes to go?

A lot of our games we had narrow leads in the middle of the second half that ended up as blowouts. That's not a meaningless outcome.
Winning in blowouts is great, but tournament games are usually played in the 2-3 possession range, wire to wire. Our guys and coaches need to have better plans for executing in those situations. The last 4.5 seasons have been anything but that.

Reaction Score
Shame on Hurley and this team for the audacity of coming back from a 17pt deficit to turn it into a <5pt loss.

Don't they know that under the new rules, it means that it counts as 2 losses now instead of 1?
Not going down by 17 would also help...

Reaction Score
... but there really is something to be said for guys who have an instinct for making plays that need to be made in crunch time, knowing when to step on the gas or the brake, have a feel for momentum swings, etc. That sort of thing is more or less innate, some guys just have it, and some don't. It's not exactly coachable. If you played or coached competitive sports, you've seen this, you understand this, both the clutch side and the opposite.

Though this post was correctly referring to us it could just as much be said about Xavier but positively. Very late in the game when we were in the 2-3 and down 1, they used the same play to score twice in maybe 3 possessions. Given how little we've played 2-3 this year it probably wasn't scouted or prepped for, but they had what they needed when the time came and it went a long way to their winning the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom