Four Hurrahs for the coaches' island dress code. | The Boneyard

Four Hurrahs for the coaches' island dress code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I just want to salute the UConn coaches for dressing like coaches the past three days -- rather than like chaperons for a Junior Prom.

(Websters New World Dictionary): "chaperon, n. a person, especially an older or married woman, who accompanies young, unmarried people in public or is present at their parties, dances etc. for the sake of propriety or good form."

For the past three days, the UConn coaching staff looked like real coaches. They wore pants, and T shirts (with and without collars), and Nikes. They were dressed to do their job of coaching. They looked like athletes and leaders of athletes. They could walk like normal human beings, not like runway models in 4-5 inch spiked heels --- which some idiots, long ago, decreed were a necessary fashion accessory for coaching basketball on television.

I have no problem with athletic women (players and coaches) "dressing up" for appropriate social occasions. "Our Girls" and their coaches, look great when they dress up to visit the White House or attend the WNBA draft etc. But they all look silly and uncomfortable when dressed up to play or coach basketball -- regardless of how many people are watching them on TV.

But silk dresses, and stockings, and spike heels to coach a basketball game? These fashion shows are silly and stupid and simply out of place for the act of coaching a basketball game.

Tennis coaches and soccer coaches and lacrosse coaches and swimming coaches and track coaches and --- well, you get the idea -- they all wear coaching attire to coach the sports they coach. Why do basketball coaches have to get all dressed up? And even Rosemary, The Head Athletic Trainer wears spike heels and fancy dresses for games. She had spike heels on last night. Why did she not qualify for the "comfort dress code" in Puerto Rico?

And it isn't just the women whose dress up fashion shows drive me nuts. The male basketball coaches are just as bad. Some are ridiculous "clothes-horses."

Whatever -- my rant here on the Boneyard will not change the stupid dress codes of the sport.
But I feel better for venting about my pet peeve in Women's Basketball -- and men's as well.

I thought our female coaches looked great last night in their gray t-shirts. They looked "dressed for work" or more specifically for the work they do. The white, collared "golf shirts" they wore on Friday night were more classy, but were also appropriate for coaching basketball.

Kudos to Geno and CD (who, I am sure had a veto vote but did not exercise it) for approving "Island Fashions" for the UConn coaches at the Paradise Jam Tournament.

P.S. A happy after-thought:

Maybe when he has his new 5 or 6 year contract, Geno can exercise some real leadership in his sport by establishing some new and reasonable dress codes. No one person in the sport could have a bigger effect on coaches' fashions than Geno.

Reaction Score
Kudos to Geno and CD (who, I am sure had a veto vote but did not exercise it) for approving "Island Fashions" for the UConn coaches at the Paradise Jam Tournament.
Why would CD veto herself? ;^)

Reaction Score
It's hot. It's humid. You are playing in a tournament called "Paradise Jam". We're lucky they weren't required to were Hawaiian shirts and Bermuda shorts by those running the event.

It did let the coaching staff show off some UConn summer wear, available at the Co-op, UConn Husky stores and online.

The only thing that surprised me was the matchy match of CD, Shea and Marisa. It was almost as if they were in uniform.

As for why Basketball coaches dress as they do for games, I think that goes back to days of old and coaches like John Wooden.

Reaction Score
I like your idea, Olde Coach. I get distracted by those spike heels, especially--what do they do to the court and the sideline floor?

Reaction Score
I agree Olde Coach. Spike heels look silly on the sideline. Ditto short, tight, dresses.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I dunno' OC. I like Sherri Coale in 5" spikes. ;)

Actually, I mostly agree with you. Why wear a short skirt when you know there is a camera directly across from you and you have to sit with your knees clamped together for the entire game? Throughout the PJ I thought the coaches looked comfortable and relaxed - but the score(s) may have had something to do with that.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I've never understood why football coaches wear whatever and bb coaches dress like they're going to a fancy cocktail party. Louie Carnesecca had it right. Geno and the other coaches in the Olympics wore golf/polo shirts and that worked out okay. Maybe it's time for "Dress Down Game Day".

Reaction Score
I certainly agree that the coaches should have the coach look. However, I thought the perhaps Geno could have sported a 1 size up. Didn't see the other coaches much.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey look back at the great coaches of football - it was a shock when the first guy showed up for game day and wasn't wearing a suit and tie! And I think Bill Russell was the first BB coach not to wear a suit and tie when he was coaching (of course he was wearing the team uniform at the time!)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I thought the Purdue outfits were very nice. Hawaiian shirts look appropriate when you are in Hawai'i, but look a little on on TV. I thought the Purdue outfits were a nice way of having an island look, but not so garish as to look odd on TV. I haven't yet watched the tape, and may still be biased because I'll see them through islands eyes. I'm not sure which outfits drew OC's ire - Purdue or others?

FTR, I don't get the desire for heels on a basketball court. Especially for coaches and trainers who might well need to be kneeling down on the floor to deal with an injured players. I understand, at some level, that women think they look better, but I don't think they have a place on a basketball floor. I'm pretty sure they aren't worn on the beach, so at least someone believes there is someone limit to where they are appropriate.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Hey look back at the great coaches of football - it was a shock when the first guy showed up for game day and wasn't wearing a suit and tie! And I think Bill Russell was the first BB coach not to wear a suit and tie when he was coaching (of course he was wearing the team uniform at the time!)

I still don't get why baseball managers still wear the uniform. I understand there's a lot of history, and I have respect for history and traditions, but c'mon.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Originally many baseball managers often wore suits, especially if they were team owner. Connie Mack was one of the last to wear a suit. Much of the connection of managers grew out of teams having player managers who played on the field, as well as, ran the team.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I still don't get why baseball managers still wear the uniform. I understand there's a lot of history, and I have respect for history and traditions, but c'mon.

I know this is not a direct answer to your question but I thought it worthy of note that MLB has a rule that you can't go on the field unless you are in uniform. That pretty much dictates the manager's and coaches attire for a game. So then you might ask why that rule?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I know this is not a direct answer to your question but I thought it worthy of note that MLB has a rule that you can't go on the field unless you are in uniform. That pretty much dictates the manager's and coaches attire for a game. So then you might ask why that rule?

Exactly. Basketball doesn't have such a rule (And I thank whoever decided not to have such a rule, can you imagine Geno and CD in uniform?)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

One more thought - I think the ball boys and girls wear uniforms, which fits the rule, but do the trainers or medical staff who may have to attend an injured player?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought the Purdue outfits were very nice. Hawaiian shirts look appropriate when you are in Hawai'i, but look a little on on TV. I thought the Purdue outfits were a nice way of having an island look, but not so garish as to look odd on TV. I haven't yet watched the tape, and may still be biased because I'll see them through islands eyes. I'm not sure which outfits drew OC's ire - Purdue or others?

I dunno, Phil. One of the Purdue assts wore a black top with grey pants. Kind of drab for the islands, no? To paraphrase a line from Good Morning Vietnam, "you know, you go to the islands, make a statement. If you're going to fight, clash."

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I dunno, Phil. One of the Purdue assts wore a black top with grey pants. Kind of drab for the islands, no? To paraphrase a line from Good Morning Vietnam, "you know, you go to the islands, make a statement. If you're going to fight, clash."

I guess they had a different outfit each day. I was specifically referring to the yellow outfits they wore, I believe, on Friday. Despite being at the game Saturday, I don't have a strong recollection of their outfits, partly because I was sitting on the opposite side of the court, partly because I was focusing on other things. On Friday, I had the luxury of sitting a row behind the team.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

FTR, I don't get the desire for heels on a basketball court. Especially for coaches and trainers who might well need to be kneeling down on the floor to deal with an injured players. I understand, at some level, that women think they look better, but I don't think they have a place on a basketball floor. I'm pretty sure they aren't worn on the beach, so at least someone believes there is someone limit to where they are appropriate.

I guess I'm old school when it comes to basketball court footwear. I had a coach that would "chastise you" if he caught you walking on the court in street shoes let alone spike heels.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I guess I'm old school when it comes to basketball court footwear. I had a coach that would "chastise you" if he caught you walking on the court in street shoes let alone spike heels.

I remember that we weren't allowed to. I recall two theories - one was that the black soles of street shoes would leave black marks on the floor - maybe the sole composition is different today, and the other was that street shoes would pick up dirt, which would get transferred to the court. The latter I remember more in connection with tennis courts, and "learned" not to wear tennis shoes in transit, but to change there. I unlearned that rule this year, after being informed it was silly.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Well, the Uniform is preferable to Connie Mack's wool suit, vest, necktie, and starched white collar.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Exactly. Basketball doesn't have such a rule (And I thank whoever decided not to have such a rule, can you imagine Geno and CD in uniform?)
I have imagined CD in uniform.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I have imagined CD in uniform.

Well here she is....er.....was.

80_daily.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree Olde Coach. Spike heels look silly on the sideline. Ditto short, tight, dresses.

Um, no. While I agree in principal. I'll vote in favor os spike heels and shot tight dresses, so long as Geno doesn't wear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom