Four Chances Down, Four To Go | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Four Chances Down, Four To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agree. True, but it's a combination of also wanting a higher seed. Being in the AAC is tough. Getting a 10, 11 seed makes life tough.
But that sneaky 12 seed? I'd much prefer a 12 seed vs. a 5 seed.

Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't use Pom or Sagarin. They use RPI.

But they don't use December numbers like you seem to be insisting.

And the fact that they use it doesn't mean that you need to use it in your assessment of teams. It's a terrible ranking system, so justify your assessment of teams with things that reflect reality.

Reaction Score
If you could be objective for 20 seconds would you actually suggest Gonzaga is a good team? Can you point to a single quality win they have?

But they don't use December numbers like you seem to be insisting.

And the fact that they use it doesn't mean that you need to use it in your assessment of teams. It's a terrible ranking system, so justify your assessment of teams with things that reflect reality.

Reaction Score
If you could be objective for 20 seconds would you actually suggest Gonzaga is a good team? Can you point to a single quality win they have?

Well, the weird definition of quality win in the OP excludes their win over us, but everyone who discusses Gonzaga credits that as a good win on theor record. You don't agree?

PS, nice job implying that I'm not objective when you refuse to acknowledge efficiency ratings.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well, the weird definition of quality win in the OP excludes their win over us, but everyone who discusses Gonzaga credits that as a good win on theor record. You don't agree?

Exactly what I was thinking. So he's saying we suck? :)

Reaction Score
Beat Georgetown and Texas and nothing less then a split between SMU and Cincy and we will be fine. Now that we do not have AB, a lost to a decent Tulsa or Memphis team will not hurt although, I DO NOT WANT A LOSS TO EITHER!

Reaction Score
Well if there are 68 slots... and 32 of them are automatic.. we have to be one of the best 36 teams remaining (assuming we dont win an automatic bid)... if currently we are "ranked" 27th (second most votes of the other receiving votes category)... assuming we remain at our current pace...is there any way we dont get in?

Reaction Score
Do you understand how the RPI works? It is still Dec. 27 dude. Michigan will be a Top 50 win once conference play starts. Not sure about Ohio State, but they may get there as they beat Kentucky, and will play a lot of good teams in the Big Ten.

Check out the RPI in late January/early Feb. Right now Ville is No. 25 in the RPI and has no Top 50 wins either.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Connecticut.html

Reaction Score
The NCAA doesn't use Pom or Sagarin. They use RPI.

Regardless I think Texas is a must win. Top 50 road wins are huge.
Kenpom and Sargain were in reference to the silly comment the Gonzaga is a bad team the even sillier defense of the comment by using the RPI.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Top 25 RPI wins count, Top 50 RPI wins count and Top 100 wins count in that order. R/N wins are weighted more than home wins.

The committee in the past has shafted Top 25ish teams in the past either through seeding or outright ommission, for not "beating anyone good."

Gonzaga more years than not had to win the WCC to get a bid or lose to a 1/2 loss St Mary's and get an at large. The AAC is a three bid league this year at most. Losing to Cuse and Gonzaga put us behind the chains. We need to win these high profile OOC games, unless you plan to sweep SMU and Cincy.

The RPI drag of the AAC is very real and should be a concern to anyone who has watched the committee in the last two seasons. The AAC gets no benefit of the doubt when it comes to bubble teams.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Top 25 RPI wins count, Top 50 RPI wins count and Top 100 wins count in that order. R/N wins are weighted more than home wins.

The committee in the past has shafted Top 25ish teams in the past either through seeding or outright ommission, for not "beating anyone good."

Gonzaga more years than not had to win the WCC to get a bid or lose to a 1/2 loss St Mary's and get an at large. The AAC is a three bid league this year at most. Losing to Cuse and Gonzaga put us behind the chains. We need to win these high profile OOC games, unless you plan to sweep SMU and Cincy.

The RPI drag of the AAC is very real and should be a concern to anyone who has watched the committee in the last two seasons. The AAC gets no benefit of the doubt when it comes to bubble teams.
If our season continues the way it has, underperforming against quality competition - I see our resume resembling 2014/2015 Temple's resume. The one difference is we don't have a marquee win against a RPI T25 school (which could change). We need to win OOC games, you are 100% correct. The committee undervalues AAC games and has expressed that since the inception of the conference. But to be honest, its not worth debating this now (way too early!).

Reaction Score
The stark reality is, we're no longer in the big bad Big East where are you can rack up a fair number of losses, a bunch of quality wins, but finish strong and still get a very high seed.

We need it to take care of business with our quality out of conference wins, but so far haven't done so. So in my opinion the best we can do is try to dominate the AAC and hopefully get seeded somewhere between 4 and 6.

The more mediocrity college basketball is, the better it will benefit UConn. If the top of the P5 Conferences have teams that separate from the pack, it will be very hard if not possible to get better seeds than them since their resumes will simply be a whole lot better than ours.

Historically, teams in lesser conferences that are seeded beween the 1 & 4 lines are ones that have picked up some solid out of conference wins and have dominated their conference.

Beating Texas in Georgetown can really boost our RPI and overall perception of how good our team might be. But what I'm equally concerned about, will we take care of business in the AAC? I hope so. I'm just not sure that will be the case.

Of all the past UConn teams I've watched, this is one that I'm still not sure how good they can be. Usually UConn teams are primarily made up of young players who have developed and grown through the system. I'm just not sure what type of upside this team has which is comprised of some young talent, couple of talented transfers, and upperclassmen who don't seem to be the leaders or the more talented or experienced players.

I'm not saying that they won't be a very good team. They're the type of team that I wouldn't even begin to know how to predict what their final record would be.

Lastly, I fear that the way the game is officiated now, does not favor defensive minded programs like UConn. Historically, UConn's championship runs were sparked by our suffocating defense. Just not sure if that will be possible any longer since breathing on a player results in a foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom