Found some mutual respect between Huskies and Irish in Nashville | The Boneyard

Found some mutual respect between Huskies and Irish in Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the exciting men's championship down here in a Nashville sports bar. Sat at a table with two Irish fans who were heartily rooting on the Husky men as they have become big fans of Kevin Ollie.

During much of the game we were talking about our women's programs and tomorrows title fight. Simply put, we each had a great deal of respect for each other's program had a great time talking match ups for tomorrow night and sharing our love of women's hoops.

It wasn't quite like Geno and Muffet sharing a bottle of wine-but it was pretty close!! Now I have to figure out a way to get some sleep tonight-it feels like Christmas Eve when I was 5 years old! Hope to see some of you tomorrow night-I'll be in the Uconn #23 T-shirt right behind Doris!! Go Huskies!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the exciting men's championship down here in a Nashville sports bar. Sat at a table with two Irish fans who were heartily rooting on the Husky men as they have become big fans of Kevin Ollie.

During much of the game we were talking about our women's programs and tomorrows title fight. Simply put, we each had a great deal of respect for each other's program had a great time talking match ups for tomorrow night and sharing our love of women's hoops.

It wasn't quite like Geno and Muffet sharing a bottle of wine-but it was pretty close!! Now I have to figure out a way to get some sleep tonight-it feels like Christmas Eve when I was 5 years old! Hope to see some of you tomorrow night-I'll be in the Uconn #23 T-shirt right behind Doris!! Go Huskies!!
Wow - town has to be like Storrs south tonight with all the Uconn fans and I suspect a fair number of non-KY fans even amongst the orange natives.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

They spit in your food when you weren't looking.

Reaction Score
The school rivalry isn't as heated as the coaches'. Probably the only case where this is true.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The school rivalry isn't as heated as the coaches'. Probably the only case where this is true.

I am unaware of any other rivalry that included 12 games in 3 years though - that is tough. Imagine Duke/UNC meeting four times a year 3 years in a row with the last meeting each year in the final four.
Or Baylor/A&M - they did it once in WCBB and it was tough.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The coaches don't have a rivalry. The teams have a rivalry. Muffett has a problem. She needs to be told by Geno how great her team is and she isn't hearing it the way she thinks she needs to hear it. I'd be embarrassed if I were an Irish fan. She should just shut her mouth and coach .

Geno can be a wise guy, and do things to direct attention away from his players, but his sarcasm and tongue in cheek comments are pretty much always aimed at the way people think about certain things and not at a specific person.. When he called Tennessee the "evil empire" he was making fun of UConn's fan base and playing to it, but in no way did he see Pat Summitt as evil (that came several years later, but she had attacked him over recruiting). His comment about Duke grads get waiting jobs at better restaurants than UConn kids, was poking fun at a stereotype.

Reaction Score
Usually when two coaches go at it (Davo-Spurrier) their fan bases were already enemies. Not so here, I hear plenty of Geno trash talk on the Irish boards but nothing about Connecticut. That's quite unlike our natural born enemies in the states of Michigan, Ohio, and Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom