Foul trouble | The Boneyard

Foul trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
It seemed like St. Joes was in the bonus the whole game. If we had lost, free throw disparity would have been the deciding factor. We seem to get hit with a lot of calls early. I thought we were unlucky in the first half but the second half was exactly the same.

Why?

Is it the style of play or maybe even a strategy against a poor free throw shooting team (that shot lights out)? Conspiracy against us or is Ollie not getting respect? Bad luck or something that will even out? Or is the team slow of foot and piling up early fouls is the model for beating them?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It seemed like St. Joes was in the bonus the whole game. If we had lost, free throw disparity would have been the deciding factor. We seem to get hit with a lot of calls early. I thought we were unlucky in the first half but the second half was exactly the same.

Why?

Is it the style of play or maybe even a strategy against a poor free throw shooting team (that shot lights out)? Conspiracy against us or is Ollie not getting respect? Bad luck or something that will even out? Or is the team slow of foot and piling up early fouls is the model for beating them?

Our bigs foul a lot. That's been proven throughout the season. That Euro was tough to handle. Giffey picked up a bunch of fouls because that guy was a tough matchup, and we had no other option with the fouls on our other bigs.

St Joes was pretty disciplined, which they've learned throughout a season of playing only 6 guys.

We were playing an attacking style of defense, pressuring the ball, going for steals, and frankly, leaving our feet too early.

Massive credit to Brimah for not fouling out. And he saved UConn's collective arses at the end of regulation.

All that said, the Disparity was unusual. Don't think it will last (hopefully).

Reaction Score

Why?

Game is too fast for refs on UConn drives. Whereas UConn gets called for chippy stuff around perimeter. The only one I feel bad for is Brimah. He literally did nothing on his offensive rebound in 2nd half, and he was called form his 3rd (Ollie was irate). The SJ player was fouling him. On a 35 second violation for SJ, Brimah was fouled pver the back hard a second before the clock expired. Giffey's breakway was a clear foul too should have been AND 1. But I think it's just the speed tat UConn plays at. Even Boatright's late foul in OT caught air, as did an earlier foul. Compare to Giffey's chippies around the perimeter where the speed of play is slow and n o one is blocking the ref's vision.

I will say that one ref should stay behind the baseline at all time. You simply see all the fouls much better there.

Reaction Score
The fouls evened out in the end...22 againsts St Joes and 21 against us. Alot of theirs obviously came at the end when they were trying to extend the game.

Early on, I think it was as simple as us settling for jumpers combined with us playing so-so defense that leads to being in bad positions..that leads to fouls

Reaction Score
Also, St Joe's did a lot of pump faking to draw contact

caw

Reaction Score
Aside from one on Brimah mentioned the only other one I had an issue with was the second or third on Giffey. Seemed very cheap.

Overall, it wasn't that bad. St Joes didn't really foul that much, they really didn't challenge shots that much, just stood their ground and hoped for misses.

Reaction Score
Our guards didn't attack the lane with much regularity in the first half. I think they had one foul in the first ten minutes. We were much better after halftime.

Reaction Score
Game is too fast for refs on UConn drives. Whereas UConn gets called for chippy stuff around perimeter. The only one I feel bad for is Brimah. He literally did nothing on his offensive rebound in 2nd half, and he was called form his 3rd (Ollie was irate). The SJ player was fouling him. On a 35 second violation for SJ, Brimah was fouled pver the back hard a second before the clock expired. Giffey's breakway was a clear foul too should have been AND 1. But I think it's just the speed tat UConn plays at. Even Boatright's late foul in OT caught air, as did an earlier foul. Compare to Giffey's chippies around the perimeter where the speed of play is slow and n o one is blocking the ref's vision.

I will say that one ref should stay behind the baseline at all time. You simply see all the fouls much better there.

This is true.. No idea how Giffey didn't get the and-one on that breakaway. Also Bazz had a drive in the 2nd half where he got hit across the arms (and maybe even the face). He made the layup but no call. Ref was standing right there and you could even see Tolksdorf motioning with his palms up like "where's the foul".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom