Former UConn guard Bria Hartley waived by Indiana Fever | The Boneyard

Former UConn guard Bria Hartley waived by Indiana Fever

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Former UConn women’s basketball guard Bria Hartley was waived by the Indiana Fever, the team announced Friday. Hartley played in 10 games for the Fever, averaging 2.5 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist in 8.7 minutes per game. She joined the Fever from the Phoenix Mercury as part of a three-team trade that also involved the Chicago Sky this past February.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't follow Twitter as closely as you do. Her release had not been reported yet here in the yard. I checked before I posted it. The Courant had not picked it up at the time of my post. There are a lot of posters that follow Twitter closely. I leave the reporting of breaking UConn related news to you and them. ;)

it's nice to be wanted when a team shows you the door. When one door closes, another one usually opens. Bria can still play at that level and help a team. Glad she was picked up quickly. :cool:

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Sun never truly replaced Jasmine Thomas's spot on the roster, even though she had her season-ending injury in May. Big East alumna Natisha Hiedeman replaced her in the starting lineup and has played very well. The Sun's starting back court (Hiedeman and Courtney Williams) is topnotch, and Dijonae Carrington has played well off the bench as the Sun's version of Nika Muhl, with a similar game with respect to hustle, ball-hawking, and rebounding.

But after that, the Sun's back court depth was becoming a problem, as neither Nia Clouden (the Sun's top draft choice in 2022) nor Jasmine Jones has been particularly noteworthy. There is a big opportunity for Bria to carve out a role for herself as either the first or second guard off the bench for the Sun for the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

Just as Kiah Stokes found a home with a contending team in Las Vegas after being cut last year by the Liberty, Bria may find a home with the Sun. Her being cut by Indiana was a classic case of a more expensive, experienced player being cut by a non-contending team to make room for the future, and her being picked up by the Sun as a contending team needing immediate help at the guard position is also a classic late season move in the WNBA, just as it is in Major League Baseball.

Reaction Score
I don't follow Twitter as closely as you do. Her release had not been reported yet here in the yard. I checked before I posted it. The Courant had not picked it up at the time of my post. There are a lot of posters that follow Twitter closely. I leave the reporting of breaking UConn related news to you and them. ;)

it's nice to be wanted when a team shows you the door. When one door closes, another one usually opens. Bria can still play at that level and help a team. Glad she was picked up quickly. :cool:

It was reported in the WNBA thread last week but hey…. Bria getting own thread is well deserved

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Phoenix didn't bring her back. They're always so short handed and she is familiar with many of their players have just been there.

Reaction Score
They are short handed at the greater than a Hartley unit sizes....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Phoenix didn't bring her back. They're always so short handed and she is familiar with many of their players have just been there.
For all we know they could have tried, but if I’m Bria and looking at an offer from the Sun vs. an offer from that current train wreck of a situation in Phoenix, I’m heading right to Uncasville.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It was reported in the WNBA thread last week but hey…. Bria getting own thread is well deserved
Thanks. I don't peruse/surf the WNBA website regularly either. I know I can come to the Boneyard and get ALL of the latest news in WCBB and the WNBA in one place. Thank goodness for those posters that stay abreast and report all of the latest news from these outlets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Quite a detailed article about the Bria pickup

As the Sun’s general manager, Miller also understands the benefits of having a former UConn player on his roster.

“I mean, obviously the UConn players are revered here,” he said. “A UConn player in this market that performs well is only going to benefit us. A UConn player being able to be out in the community and be involved in community service opportunities, only going to benefit us. At the same time, it does us no good to have a UConn player on our roster just to sit the bench, because then I hear all the noise behind me.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom