Former Oklahoma State coach’s acceptance of bribes violated NCAA ethical conduct rules | The Boneyard

Former Oklahoma State coach’s acceptance of bribes violated NCAA ethical conduct rules

Reaction Score
Former Oklahoma State coach’s acceptance of bribes violated NCAA ethical conduct rules (Lamont Evans)

>>The former Oklahoma State men’s basketball associate head coach violated NCAA ethical conduct rules when he accepted between $18,150 and $22,000 in bribes from two financial advisors to influence student-athletes, according to a decision released by the Division I Committee on Infractions.<<

>>The committee classified the case as Level I-standard for the school and Level I-aggravated for the former associate head coach. The committee used the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines to prescribe the following measures:

Three years of probation.

A 2020-21 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.

A $10,000 fine plus 1% of the men’s basketball program budget (self-imposed by the university).

A reduction of men’s basketball scholarships by a total of three during the 2020-21 through 2022-23 academic years.

A reduction of men’s basketball official visits to 25 during the 2018-19/2019-20 rolling two-year period and to 18 during the 2019-20/2020-21 rolling two-year period (self-imposed by the university).

A prohibition of men’s basketball unofficial visits for two weeks during the fall of 2020 and two weeks during the fall of 2021 (self-imposed by the university). The university also must prohibit unofficial visits for three additional weeks during the fall of 2020, 2021 and/or 2022.

A prohibition of men’s basketball telephone recruiting for a one-week period during the 2020-21 academic year (self-imposed by the university). The university also must prohibit telephone recruiting for six additional weeks during the probation period.

A reduction in the number of men’s basketball recruiting person days by 12 during the 2019-20 academic year (self-imposed by the university). The university also must reduce the number of recruiting person days by five during the 2020-21 academic year.

A 10-year show-cause order for the former associate head coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.

A prohibition of the men’s basketball staff from participating in off-campus evaluations for three consecutive days during the summer evaluation periods in 2020 (self-imposed by the university).<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Patience is key. Arizona and LSU are screwed.

It just bothers me so much that UConn got a one season ban because the NCAA decided to change the APR rules and apply the change retroactively to UConn, based upon a season for which UConn had already punished under the old rules and ignoring UConn's current scores. We are perceived by some as having committed this level of offense, for what was essentially an arbitrary act the NCAA.

Reaction Score
If they're going after Oklahoma State for this, they BETTER be going after Duke, LSU, Arizona, Illinois, Kentucky, etc. Sick of small time programs facing the repercussions for things that almost every program does. All comes down to their money. The system is broke.

Reaction Score
If they're going after Oklahoma State for this, they BETTER be going after Duke, LSU, Arizona, Illinois, Kentucky, etc. Sick of small time programs facing the repercussions for things that almost every program does. All comes down to their money. The system is broke.
Duke seems untouchable at this point. Maybe it’d be different if Coach K wasn’t there anymore and it was like Capel or another Duke guy running the show. But I just don’t see the NCAA coming down on Duke currently. Imagine they gave out a punishment like they did to OSU with Coach K at the helm. That would be beyond shocking and the effects of that would be Hugeeeeeee.

Reaction Score

Bill Self to the NCAA after hearing the infractions against them and aftermath of the Snoop Dogg performance...
3ED68B0D-EA27-4218-9E40-E8C200DE83A1.jpeg

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Ok State hires Cunningham’s brother to land him only to watch him (probably) never suit up and head to the G-League. This is a wild business

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Are they losing 3 scholarships over 3 years (1 per year) OR is it 3 scholarships per year, for 3 years?

Reaction Score
LSU, AZ, Auburn, Creighton.... could be a interesting next few weeks

Reaction Score
Could this be the final straw that pushes the P5 out of the NCAA? There's already discussions about it. This is supposedly just the start for penalties and the implication seems to be that a Kansas will get in more trouble for having more violations and not cooperating. I can see this pushing the P5 to leave the NCAA.

It reminds me of other self-regulatory organizations. There's that fine line with the top members being okay with penalties to allow the appearance of a fair playing field and self-policing. But push it too far and they'll take their ball and start a new SRO. And the little guys will be left out, or have to follow.

Reaction Score
Could this be the final straw that pushes the P5 out of the NCAA? There's already discussions about it. This is supposedly just the start for penalties and the implication seems to be that a Kansas will get in more trouble for having more violations and not cooperating. I can see this pushing the P5 to leave the NCAA.

It reminds me of other self-regulatory organizations. There's that fine line with the top members being okay with penalties to allow the appearance of a fair playing field and self-policing. But push it too far and they'll take their ball and start a new SRO. And the little guys will be left out, or have to follow.

Problem is the NCAA gives them coverage to not compensate the "student athlete". Leave because you want to pay will give the athlete more power.

Reaction Score
Save you some time OSU........appeal DENIED

Essentially they are appealing...
  1. Three years of probation.
  2. A 2020-21 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.
  3. A reduction of men’s basketball scholarships by a total of three during the 2020-21 through 2022-23 academic years.
  4. The university also must prohibit unofficial visits for three additional weeks during the fall of 2020, 2021 and/or 2022.
  5. The university also must prohibit telephone recruiting for six additional weeks during the probation period.
  6. A 10-year show-cause order for the former associate head coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply. (I imagine this may not be included in the appeal).
... because all the other penalties were self imposed by the University.

Reaction Score
Former Oklahoma State coach’s acceptance of bribes violated NCAA ethical conduct rules (Lamont Evans)

>>The former Oklahoma State men’s basketball associate head coach violated NCAA ethical conduct rules when he accepted between $18,150 and $22,000 in bribes from two financial advisors to influence student-athletes, according to a decision released by the Division I Committee on Infractions.<<

>>The committee classified the case as Level I-standard for the school and Level I-aggravated for the former associate head coach. The committee used the Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines to prescribe the following measures:

Three years of probation.

A 2020-21 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.

A $10,000 fine plus 1% of the men’s basketball program budget (self-imposed by the university).

A reduction of men’s basketball scholarships by a total of three during the 2020-21 through 2022-23 academic years.

A reduction of men’s basketball official visits to 25 during the 2018-19/2019-20 rolling two-year period and to 18 during the 2019-20/2020-21 rolling two-year period (self-imposed by the university).

A prohibition of men’s basketball unofficial visits for two weeks during the fall of 2020 and two weeks during the fall of 2021 (self-imposed by the university). The university also must prohibit unofficial visits for three additional weeks during the fall of 2020, 2021 and/or 2022.

A prohibition of men’s basketball telephone recruiting for a one-week period during the 2020-21 academic year (self-imposed by the university). The university also must prohibit telephone recruiting for six additional weeks during the probation period.

A reduction in the number of men’s basketball recruiting person days by 12 during the 2019-20 academic year (self-imposed by the university). The university also must reduce the number of recruiting person days by five during the 2020-21 academic year.

A 10-year show-cause order for the former associate head coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.

A prohibition of the men’s basketball staff from participating in off-campus evaluations for three consecutive days during the summer evaluation periods in 2020 (self-imposed by the university).<<

Maybe Emmert plans to retire soon and wants to go out in a blaze of glory based on what the NCAA added to OSU's proposed sanctions (which were mainly BS recruiting restrictions). Could it be that Kansas, Auburn, LSU and the rest will receive penalties commensurate with the baseline these penalties establish? Wishing for it but not betting on it.
Edit:
For more clarity on the extent of the added penalties I put them in bold above and after posting it saw you had edited it and cut it down. I'll leave mine up because it shows what OSU originally proposed along with how much the NCAA added.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Essentially they are appealing...
  1. Three years of probation.
  2. A 2020-21 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.
  3. A reduction of men’s basketball scholarships by a total of three during the 2020-21 through 2022-23 academic years.
  4. The university also must prohibit unofficial visits for three additional weeks during the fall of 2020, 2021 and/or 2022.
  5. The university also must prohibit telephone recruiting for six additional weeks during the probation period.
  6. A 10-year show-cause order for the former associate head coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply. (I imagine this may not be included in the appeal).
... because all the other penalties were self imposed by the University.

This is nice and easy to read. Thanks for cutting it down.
While you were doing this editing, I highlighted in BOLD the additions but left all the text so everyone can see just how little OSU was proposing and how much the NCAA added.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I disagree. The system is not broke. The system is positively rollin' in dough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom