Former NBA greats who are forgotten. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Former NBA greats who are forgotten.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Chapter 1: Sandy Koufax
Afterword: See: Koufax, Sandy
Koufax had a short career but he was probably the most unhittable and clutch pitcher in history. When fans used to complain about guys who threw spitballs they said it was "unfair". One reporter put this in context when he said "Whats fair about a Sandy Koufax 93 mph overhand curveball?"

When he threw a 1-0 shutout with 15k's in the World Series against the '63 Yankees I never forgot him.

11 stats that show why Koufax is a legend.

Reaction Score
Koufax had a short career but he was probably the most unhittable and clutch pitcher in history. When fans used to complain about guys who threw spitballs they said it was "unfair". One reporter put this in context when he said "Whats fair about a Sandy Koufax 93 mph overhand curveball?"

When he threw a 1-0 shutout with 15k's in the World Series against the '63 Yankees I never forgot him.

11 stats that show why Koufax is a legend.
Been a baseball fanatic since the early 60's through today and the best 2 pitchers during that time are Koufax and Pedro in my opinion

Reaction Score
Been a baseball fanatic since the early 60's through today and the best 2 pitchers during that time are Koufax and Pedro in my opinion
I agree 100% and when I happened upon Pedro a few years back in Washington’s National airport I told him exactly that. He got a big smile on his face. I said “Pedro, you and Koufax are at the top of Hall of Fame pitchers.”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Chapter 1: Sandy Koufax
Afterword: See: Koufax, Sandy
Did you find Hank Greenberg's grave and piss on it or something? (just saw @nomar already went there, so I'll just say... Sue Bird.)

Getting back to hoops, I followed the ABA as a teen and guys like BIll Melchionni and Louie Dampier found great ABA careers after not doing well in NBA. Also, while he was mentioned in the "player most identified with a college" thread, he wasn't mentioned here, so Larry Kenon.

I think for all-time guys people forget about, Alex English has got to be at or near top of the list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I don't know what "forgotten" means. These guys were all big stars and immediately come to mind when considering the 80s (Ice Man going back a little earlier).

Now Dolph Schayes, there's a forgotten star!

Also features prominently in this:

ed5a96f6-6a83-4fa0-a71c-a667f6e1396d_text.gif
Of course, Dolph Schayes’ son was an All Big East player for South Ontario.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chocolate Thunder aka Dr. Dunkenstein

Those are two different players

Chocolate Thunder was Dawkins

Dr. Dunkenstein was Darrell Griffith
Funny I saw George Gervin. I remember telling my father that Kevin Durant was an improved George Gervin. And Portland should take him no matter what. I was wicked smaht.

I had three posters on my bed room ceiling as a kid. Dr. Dunkenstein, Iceman Cometh and Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka.

That was all good until I discovered the Cheryl Tiegs and Lonnie Anderson posters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Greatest poster ever
View attachment 91583

I had the Jordan Wings poster over my bed and a 6'7 standing Clyde Drexler cutout at the end of bed.

Yeah, and then I saw the red bathing suits.
My school grades coincidently took a nose dive at the same time as I started looking at pencil erasers differently.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Clyde Drexler
Dominique Wilkins
Sean Kemp
Rik Smits
Mark Price
Jeff Hornacek

Says you.

Here in the Hudson Valley, every day starts with a recitation of Rik Smit’s career stats. It’s in Dutch, so no one really understands what they’re saying, but we do it anyway.

Reaction Score
Grant Hill before the injuries was insane. I know even younger people know the name but he was great for the pistons.

Reaction Score
A CT great (who also had his issues, but I believe has landed on his feet with a nice Prep level coaching gig in state): Wes Matthews (dude got a few rings)

Reaction Score
a few UConn alumn hoopers who had pretty decent careers (other than Uncle Cliffy): Kevin Ollie, Donyell Marshall, Scottie Burrell

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kelly Tripucka

Isn't Kelly Tripucka the player who sprained his ankle rebounding in a game, and told a reporter afterward that he was never going to do that again? And then didn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom