Former MHOC Coach Bruce Marshall Passed... | The Boneyard

Former MHOC Coach Bruce Marshall Passed...

Reaction Score
@ UConn 1988-2013

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN3 mins ago
Sad to learn that former UConn and current Franklin Pierce head coach Bruce Marshall has died at 54.

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 1m 1 minute ago
Marshall helped lead the UConn program to D1 in 1998. Without that move, which he was partly responsible for, the Huskies aren’t in HE today

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN
Bruce Marshall’s passion for UConn hockey brought that program a long way, and helped set it up for its move to Hockey East.

Reaction Score
I'm on my phone so can't quote it but Mike McMahon just tweeted that Bruce Marshall Passed Away, presumably today at age 54. Unclear what happened, but he appeared to be in a difficult state personally over the past few years after entering rehab and leaving UConn. His ex-wife taught at my high school, and is one of the most well-liked people there. Say what you want about his time at UConn, but his story is very unfortunate. All the best to his family, friends, and players.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wow. Bruce had a very rough last few years, but it seemed like the Franklin Pierce job was the fresh start he'd needed. Very, very sad.

Reaction Score
OMG. This is so very sad. My sons will be devastated as he helped them a lot.

Reaction Score
Absolutely stunned to see this here this morning! As a kid who learned the game at the old rink in campus UConn hockey, Bruce Marshall was one of my early favorite players in the game. Growing up 10 minutes from campus I would drag my dad to games as much as I could. When he joined Ben Kirtland's staff it was easy to see he was the future of the program behind the bench. He did the best he could with the resources he was given. I know a few of his former players and they have nothing but GREAT things to say about him any time their career's UConn come up! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this most difficult time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@ UConn 1988-2013

Mike McMahon@MikeMcMahonCHN3 mins ago
Sad to learn that former UConn and current Franklin Pierce head coach Bruce Marshall has died at 54.

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 1m 1 minute ago
Marshall helped lead the UConn program to D1 in 1998. Without that move, which he was partly responsible for, the Huskies aren’t in HE today

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN
Bruce Marshall’s passion for UConn hockey brought that program a long way, and helped set it up for its move to Hockey East.

Shocking news. It should also be mentioned that in addition to his years as the assistant coach and then head coach of the UConn men's ice hockey program, Marshall also spent four seasons playing for the team in the early 1980's.

Reaction Score
Bruce ran many clinics for the kids east of the river who didn't have the same hockey opportunities as in the rest of the state. Additionally, he ran Monday night sessions for the kids who were serious about their hockey. I could see the weariness in his face every Monday night and yet he kept on doing it and was always as cheerful and enthusiastic as you could imagine a coach could be. I also remember one warm fall late afternoon hanging around the rink waiting for the ice to harden under the roof. Army had dropped out of the ECAC and speculation was rampant about who would replace them. I joke with Bruce about who the UConn travel partner would be and we all had a good laugh as the very idea was on the preposterous side. Not so preposterous anymore.

Bruce, along with the Canisius and Holy Cross coaches was one of the visionaries for formation of the MAAC/AHA cost-containment hockey leagues. Without those guys, the D-1 programs that were playing D-3 (ECAC East/West) hockey might have vanished. I, for one, will greatly miss Bruce.

Reaction Score
Bruce, along with the Canisius and Holy Cross coaches was one of the visionaries for formation of the MAAC/AHA cost-containment hockey leagues. Without those guys, the D-1 programs that were playing D-3 (ECAC East/West) hockey might have vanished. I, for one, will greatly miss Bruce.
That in itself is a huge accomplishment.

Rest in peace, Coach Marshall.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Incredibly sad news. So damned young.

Reaction Score
UConn: Former UConn Men's Ice Hockey Coach Bruce Marshall Passes Away

01.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors