Former Illinois AD on adding Rutgers and Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Former Illinois AD on adding Rutgers and Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First part is true...sadly. We last won the ACC tourney in 2003 and the ACC regular season in 2010, but those are pretty much the only highlights since 2002. Maryland's step back this decade was as much about Yow being a dunce (thank goodness she's gone) as it was about Gary's stubbornness and unwillingness to do what it takes to get top recruits to come to Maryland. I love him, but Gary often misused personnel and was too bullish on his outmoded offense. But that's just my two cents.

You are right, he mismanaged the team often in his final seasons. That said, I wonder if Gary didn't behave the way he did partially as a backhanded slap at Debbie.

Turgeon's restocking the cupboard with talent with a top-10 2014 recruiting class and we're talented enough that if he doesn't make the NCAAs this year, then we've got problems. Maryland historically has done extremely well against Big Ten competition. I'm excited about the direction in which we're headed.

I hate to see you all leave, as Carolina-Maryland yielded some great football and basketball games over the years. Had you stayed, the league could have added UConn and Louisville, and, locked down the east coast.

I hope we will still at least get UConn.

Reaction Score
I hate to see you all leave, as Carolina-Maryland yielded some great football and basketball games over the years. Had you stayed, the league could have added UConn and Louisville, and, locked down the east coast.

I hope we will still at least get UConn.

Thanks for the kind words. The closer we get to July 2014, the more it hits me that we're really going to have a big B1G on our courts and fields in a few months. I'm personally pleased with the move (some UMD fans aren't), but I'm still thinking it's going to be weird as heck not ACC schools. There will be lots of things I'll miss about the ACC, but most of my fond memories pre-date 2003. Sadly, the ACC I grew up loving went away 10 years ago.

It baffles my mind that UConn has been picked over so many times. It's a perfect candidate for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Funny...the ACC that I loved, went away also...Well, I actually have never loved the ACC.

Especially with the additions of BC, Pitt, Syracuse....but then again, most of us are resistant to change.

Heck, to be honest, I, and many long time fans of my school have never warmed up to the ACC. It was a heck of a lot of fun playing football as an Independent...playing a really varied schedule....Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, LSU, Auburn, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, etc.

Reaction Score
N C St basketball, and football are both presently in the tank since she took over, so it looks like she is going 2 for 2. Its amazing how someone with that bad a record of financial dealings gets another job.

Sadly, not too surprising. She became part of the old-boy network which seems to apply in college even more than in the rest of the world. How we ended up with P. Figure being Kay's sister and a woman with experience (as crappy as that was) played a role too

Reaction Score
Whoops. Misread the article. Scanned it and failed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he donates to Stanford and not UMD. Stanford is...Stanford.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind words. The closer we get to July 2014, the more it hits me that we're really going to have a big B1G on our courts and fields in a few months. I'm personally pleased with the move (some UMD fans aren't), but I'm still thinking it's going to be weird as heck not ACC schools. There will be lots of things I'll miss about the ACC, but most of my fond memories pre-date 2003. Sadly, the ACC I grew up loving went away 10 years ago.

It baffles my mind that UConn has been picked over so many times. It's a perfect candidate for the ACC.

Funny...the ACC that I loved, went away also...Well, I actually have never loved the ACC.

Especially with the additions of BC, Pitt, Syracuse....but then again, most of us are resistant to change.

Heck, to be honest, I, and many long time fans of my school have never warmed up to the ACC. It was a heck of a lot of fun playing football as an Independent...playing a really varied schedule....Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, LSU, Auburn, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, etc.

Tradition, rivalries, etc. have certainly suffered in the quest for money and territory by our conference leaders.
I consider myself to be more open than many B1G fans to expansion of the conference and look forward to playing against Maryland and Rutgers.
However, I think the ideal scenario would still be 10 team conferences with traditional rivals playing a round robin 9 games in conference and 3 games out of conference against quality opponents.

Reaction Score

There are still many who still would prefer the 9-team ACC tht existed from '92-'03. Myself included. But, football drives the bus now, and, the rest of the league has to step it up, because it being as top heavy as it is hurts FSU and Clemson, especially.

Reaction Score

The absolute biggest mistake FSU made was not getting into the SEC back in the early '90s.

Now, I was happy when it was announced that you all had joined the league, as I thought it might spur the rest of the originals to follow your lead, and, build up football. We were doing ok while Mack Brown was our HC, but, ol' Dean stifled any opportunity to hire a big name HC once Mack left for Texas. Butch was a good hire, I thought. We all see how that worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom