Former Illinois AD on adding Rutgers and Maryland | The Boneyard

Former Illinois AD on adding Rutgers and Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers and Maryland will join the Big Ten next year, and Guenther was deeply engaged in that unexpected development.
“We ran out of options,” he said. “That was not what we started to do. Jim had challenged me to come up with ways to increase the conference value, and I worked with the Pac-12 to put a collaboration together whereby we would play a 12-game series with them in football, staggered over the first three weeks of the season.

We’d then be able to capture all three time zones, thus increasing our TV dollars. Unfortunately, right at the end, the Pac-12 pulled the plug because some institutions had contracts they couldn’t break.

“The challenge then was how do we increase our revenue? I looked at the population base going east. Once we take the Big Ten brand into New York, with that population and the good high school programs ... give this 10 years and we’ll see.

“This is so different from what we thought we were looking at. But I like our strategy. There were some other ACC schools that showed interest, but that didn’t work out.”

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...6/loren-tate-guenther-gone-not-forgotten.html

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Maryland will join the Big Ten next year, and Guenther was deeply engaged in that unexpected development.
“We ran out of options,” he said. “That was not what we started to do. Jim had challenged me to come up with ways to increase the conference value, and I worked with the Pac-12 to put a collaboration together whereby we would play a 12-game series with them in football, staggered over the first three weeks of the season.

We’d then be able to capture all three time zones, thus increasing our TV dollars. Unfortunately, right at the end, the Pac-12 pulled the plug because some institutions had contracts they couldn’t break.

“The challenge then was how do we increase our revenue? I looked at the population base going east. Once we take the Big Ten brand into New York, with that population and the good high school programs ... give this 10 years and we’ll see.

“This is so different from what we thought we were looking at. But I like our strategy. There were some other ACC schools that showed interest, but that didn’t work out.”

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...6/loren-tate-guenther-gone-not-forgotten.html[/quote]

Any follow up on which ACC schools showed interest?

Reaction Score
» Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo on the expansion of the Big Ten: “I'm a traditionalist. I am not excited about Rutgers and Maryland in the conference.”
http://www.omaha.com/article/20131112/HUSKERS/131119615

Delany ... "C.mon Izzo. WTF?"

angry_delanym2.jpg

Reaction Score
» Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo on the expansion of the Big Ten: “I'm a traditionalist. I am not excited about Rutgers and Maryland in the conference.”

View attachment 4207

Thats a pretty strong statement from Coach Izzo. I thought he would be happy to have a program like Maryland, who have a good hoops history, in the B1G. MSU-UMD is a big time game almost anytime they play.

caw

Reaction Score
Thats a pretty strong statement from Coach Izzo. I thought he would be happy to have a program like Maryland, who have a good hoops history, in the B1G. MSU-UMD is a big time game almost anytime they play.

Ten years ago, or has Maryland been relevant since they won it? I can't remember a very good team since then, maybe the year after?

Wiki tells me their last team past the second round was 2003. They have 5 20+ win seasons in the past ten and 8 double digit loss seasons. Now they aren't Rutgers bad, but they aren't a frequent top 25 team either, in the past ten seasons.

Reaction Score

I was surprised by this statement, too, from a recruiting standpoint as the Baltimore/DC/NoVa area is a big basketball recruiting area; but, looking at Michigan State’s current roster, they are all from MI, OH, IN, and IL.

Reaction Score
I'd say we pay this Guenther guy a consulting fee and have him keep whispering UConn, UConn, UConn...in Delany's ear on our behalf....

Or hire firms in Atlanta and Chicago that can expand our network and gain influence and credibility. Play the game.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Some coaches are old-school conference guys who don't want change in the conference makeup. K initially was dead set against the first BE raid because it added BC, Miami and VT, schools he doesn't give a rat's ass about playing. As a long time BE fan I'm used to the conference evolving over time, but if I was a Big 10 fan I would be against any expansion, no matter what schools are added.

Reaction Score

View attachment 4207

LOL. My guess is that Delaney didn't consult Tom Izzo. Poor Izzo.

The other comment in that link in interesting. What is Evan Spencer thinking? His team would get killed if they faced either Alabama or FSU. It would make the Notre Dame Alabama game from last season look close. Urban Myer is smart to shut him up.

Reaction Score
LOL. My guess is that Delaney didn't consult Tom Izzo. Poor Izzo.

The other comment in that link in interesting. What is Evan Spencer thinking? His team would get killed if they faced either Alabama or FSU. It would make the Notre Dame Alabama game from last season look close. Urban Myer is smart to shut him up.
No one matches up to Alabama's offensive line.
But Ohio State is better than last years ND team
That game was over in the first 5 minutes. A huge mismatch.
OSU would last at least a Qtr maybe a half.
Meyer is a much better coach
Fla State needs a bunch of Luck.

Reaction Score
This just confirms that the move was all about gerrymandering and not adding two powerhouse programs.

Reaction Score
This just confirms that the move was all about gerrymandering and not adding two powerhouse programs.

Which means, there is still hope for UConn...Once they realize that they are leaving a good market on the table. I'm not sure it's really appreciated how passionate the state of CT would be for whatever P5 conference saves UConn. It's not even the just the Hartford DMA, it's the entire state. A new market of 3.5 million who would predominantly hop right on the B1G, ACC, or even B12 bandwagon happily. B1G Network could be huge in CT, if they want it to be...Just pick up the phone can call Sue.

Reaction Score
Which means, there is still hope for UConn...Once they realize that they are leaving a good market on the table. I'm not sure it's really appreciated how passionate the state of CT would be for whatever P5 conference saves UConn. It's not even the just the Hartford DMA, it's the entire state. A new market of 3.5 million who would predominantly hop right on the B1G, ACC, or even B12 bandwagon happily. B1G Network could be huge in CT, if they want it to be...Just pick up the phone can call Sue.

I live in KC which is Big 12/SEC country. Most of my KU/KSU acquaintances see WVU as completely screwed. They are massively inconvenienced in terms of travel. It's not so bad for football but for fir basketball, they are doing a ton of traveling for one away game.

Now, I didn't even broach the subject of UConn because I knew the answer already. The rest of the Big 12 doesn't really feel the pain because they only need to come east once a season or less. Based on what my people tell me, I can't see them signing up for more travel. It wouldn't help WVU all that much and it only makes things harder for everyone else.

I think the Big 12 will expand within its existing footprint.

Reaction Score
Ten years ago, or has Maryland been relevant since they won it? I can't remember a very good team since then, maybe the year after?

Wiki tells me their last team past the second round was 2003. They have 5 20+ win seasons in the past ten and 8 double digit loss seasons. Now they aren't Rutgers bad, but they aren't a frequent top 25 team either, in the past ten seasons.

Yeah, they haven't been real relevant on the national scene in over a decade. The internal war between former HC Gary Williams, and, former AD Debbie Yow, negatively affected the program.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they haven't been real relevant on the national scene in over a decade. The internal war between former HC Gary Williams, and, former AD Debbie Yow, negatively affected the program.

I know nothing about Debbie Yow. But the fact that her war was with Gary Williams tells me that she is probably a decent and good person.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Debbie Yow. But the fact that her war was with Gary Williams tells me that she is probably a decent and good person.

She is also the person who was mainly responsible for spending UMD athletics into a $30M hole. So, 'decent and good person' probably does not apply.

Of course, if she does that to NC State, I may change my mind, and, agree with you. ;)

Reaction Score
She is also the person who was mainly responsible for spending UMD athletics into a $30M hole. So, 'decent and good person' probably does not apply.

Of course, if she does that to NC State, I may change my mind, and, agree with you. ;)

schadenfreude at its finest :p

Reaction Score
N C St basketball, and football are both presently in the tank since she took over, so it looks like she is going 2 for 2. Its amazing how someone with that bad a record of financial dealings gets another job.

Reaction Score
N C St basketball, and football are both presently in the tank since she took over, so it looks like she is going 2 for 2. Its amazing how someone with that bad a record of financial dealings gets another job.

Her sister was the great Kay Yow (may she RIP), former NCSU women's basketball coach, and a woman of impeccable integrity. That had a bit to do with her being hired, I would imagine.

Reaction Score
The big secret here: every AD has a financial hole. If the academic side is unwilling to cover your losses, the hole is glaring. The only question is, what were her expenditures relative to her peer group? Say, relative to Virginia? Was she outspending Virginia?

Because otherwise, if she wasn't outspending them, and if the academic side is not going to cover the losses, then that is a decision to wind down athletics. De facto.

Reaction Score
The big secret here: every AD has a financial hole. If the academic side is unwilling to cover your losses, the hole is glaring. The only question is, what were her expenditures relative to her peer group? Say, relative to Virginia? Was she outspending Virginia?

Because otherwise, if she wasn't outspending them, and if the academic side is not going to cover the losses, then that is a decision to wind down athletics. De facto.

Good question. I do not have that answer.

Reaction Score

First part is true...sadly. We last won the ACC tourney in 2003 and the ACC regular season in 2010, but those are pretty much the only highlights since 2002. Maryland's step back this decade was as much about Yow being a dunce (thank goodness she's gone) as it was about Gary's stubbornness and unwillingness to do what it takes to get top recruits to come to Maryland. I love him, but Gary often misused personnel and was too bullish on his outmoded offense. But that's just my two cents.

Turgeon's restocking the cupboard with talent with a top-10 2014 recruiting class and we're talented enough that if he doesn't make the NCAAs this year, then we've got problems. Maryland historically has done extremely well against Big Ten competition. I'm excited about the direction in which we're headed.

Reaction Score

She somehow masked her fuzzy math for years and made terrible decisions i.e. overpaying women's basketball coaches, adding suites in Byrd Stadium without pre-leases, and by not allowing Comcast Center to host revenue-generating events. Debbie Yow spent a lot. Under her watch, football, men's/women's soccer, volleyball, wrestling, baseball, softball, men's/women's basketball, and field hockey got new or expanded/renovated facilities. She also -- for whatever reason -- elevated competitive cheer to a varsity sport. She did too much with too little money. She hung her hat on Maryland operating in the black for much of her tenure. When she left for NC State (she couldn't have happened to a finer bunch), the new President and AD realized just how dire out financial situation was.

Another issue that didn't get play nationally when UMD moved to the Big Ten is that we aren't like Michigan or Virginia or California in our alumni giving. Despite Maryland being the wealthiest state in America, UMD grads don't give in big numbers. Sure, there's Under Armour. But Sergey Brin of Google also went to Maryland and doesn't give much at all. It's a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom