Former Big East Teams Struggling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Former Big East Teams Struggling

Reaction Score
They can have fun hanging FF and E8 banners with 2 lucky runs (one of which they literally didn't even deserve to be in the tournament). Since they left the Big East, we won a National Championship so who cares.

Pointing out some of their success since they left the big east since that’s the topic of conversation. Thanks

Reaction Score
I just hope the Big East doesn't lose its great crop of coaches. The ACC already stole a few programs, they may now resort to stealing coaches.

Reaction Score
Not one of them left to make basketball better. They left because of football. How has not leaving worked out for us in football?
Other than Clemson ( excluding this past season). ACC football is horrendous. Every team in the conference is mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has had one winning season in football in the past eight years. Yeah, our football hasn’t been good, but has moving to the ACC helped them at anything?

Other than Clemson ( excluding this past season). ACC football is horrendous. Every team in the conference is mediocre at best.

Horrendous compared to the American? To us?

Reaction Score
To the fans, it's about winning. We wouldn't trade rings for athletic department dollars EVER

So when one argues we're getting more money, I smile politely and chuckle to myself. Who cares outside of politicians and bureaucrats? Certainly not "we the people"
Odd. No one asked you to make that trade. The point is that a school swimming in deficits may not be able to keep up with schools flush with cash going forward. Feels like you’re looking backwards.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Odd. No one asked you to make that trade. The point is that a school swimming in deficits may not be able to keep up with schools flush with cash going forward. Feels like you’re looking backwards.
Fortunately(or unfortunately for the taxpayer) we’re a state school so the taxpayers will have the eat them deficits to keep us competitive. Us being a state school, able to run huge deficits, was one of the biggest gripes other programs had with us re-joining the Big East.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Gottlieb entertaining the idea of Jim being forced out lol

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To the fans, it's about winning. We wouldn't trade rings for athletic department dollars EVER

So when one argues we're getting more money, I smile politely and chuckle to myself. Who cares outside of politicians and bureaucrats? Certainly not "we the people"
I'm guessing you aren't a CEO or CFO at any business I would want to work. An AD can't continue to operate at the MO that UConn employs. This University needs to join a P5 soon or get on their hands and knees looking for some deep pocketed angels - but that is only a quick fix. The athletic department at an institute this large can't possibly survive financially relying on mens basketball and womens basketball being their main draw.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm guessing you aren't a CEO or CFO at any business I would want to work. An AD can't continue to operate at the MO that UConn employs. This University needs to join a P5 soon or get on their hands and knees looking for some deep pocketed angels - but that is only a quick fix. The athletic department at an institute this large can't possibly survive financially relying on mens basketball and womens basketball being their main draw.

I'm actually a Quasi-Comptroller for scores of businesses, and my statement about fans wanting to win stands as it was stated. The fans don't care about the school being in a more rewarding conference financially than they do wins

Of course, you can go to the Cuse board and tell them how lucky they are, forget about winning, you're getting a bigger check

If I can take wins and money, better yet. But I'll take wins over money and I'm not the least bit concerned about our basketball programs. Nor any of the smaller programs which are also competitive

Football better start carrying some weight

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

judge-judy-facepalm.gif

People worrying about things they can't control and most likely things that will not impact their lives one iota, telling me I'm looking in the wrong direction

Gotta love the WWW

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Current basketball rankings aside, which of the former BE schools is doing worse than us financially?
Well Rutgers athletic department posted a $70 million loss for last year, which is mine boggling when you realize that they’ve done that while having access to Big Ten revenues.

Reaction Score
Couple of things.

1) Athletic donations are up a lot since the move to the Big East (includes donations for capital projects).

2016: $8.5 million
2017: $12.4 million
2018: $10.4 million
2019: $14.4 million
2020: $26.4 million
2021: $21.4 million

2) UConn has a number of revenue generating sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, men's hockey. And, they are trying to generate more revenues from baseball. Football has the greatest opportunity to increase revenues which is why I think UConn is investing in football.

3) UConn has started to improve their athletic department accounting. For example, UConn, used to penalize themselves by accounting for scholarships for out of state athletes by charging out of state tuition. That just changed to in-state tuition. (Remember, some of the reported losses are due to accounting, not actual cash.) I do wish they would break out student activities like intramurals from the athletic department.

4) UConn is subsidizing the XL Center. Again, these are really accounting issues, but expenses are allocated to UConn, but should they be? UConn could improve their finances by playing all basketball games at Gampel and hockey games at the new arena, but the overall state expense wouldn't change. Is that in the state's best interest?

Finally, the only way to get into a future all sports conference is to continue to invest in football and basketball. We have all speculated about what might happen between the P5 and G5, pay for play or no pay for play, the P5 could expand, the P5 could shrink, new conferences could arise,...we don't know. The one thing all of us UConn fans know well is that we need to be ready when the next attractive conference opportunity arises.

Reaction Score
Honestly, West Virginia has been fine. Cincy and USF obviously don’t belong on this list. Cuse, Pitt, and BC? Maybe they didn’t appreciate a basketball-centric conference with geographic rivals.
This.

Reaction Score

Folks that don't care about money either have too much or don't have much. SO as far as you know... there aren't schools winning...that aren't broke?

Reaction Score
Couple of things.

1) Athletic donations are up a lot since the move to the Big East (includes donations for capital projects).

2016: $8.5 million
2017: $12.4 million
2018: $10.4 million
2019: $14.4 million
2020: $26.4 million
2021: $21.4 million

2) UConn has a number of revenue generating sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, men's hockey. And, they are trying to generate more revenues from baseball. Football has the greatest opportunity to increase revenues which is why I think UConn is investing in football.

3) UConn has started to improve their athletic department accounting. For example, UConn, used to penalize themselves by accounting for scholarships for out of state athletes by charging out of state tuition. That just changed to in-state tuition. (Remember, some of the reported losses are due to accounting, not actual cash.) I do wish they would break out student activities like intramurals from the athletic department.

4) UConn is subsidizing the XL Center. Again, these are really accounting issues, but expenses are allocated to UConn, but should they be? UConn could improve their finances by playing all basketball games at Gampel and hockey games at the new arena, but the overall state expense wouldn't change. Is that in the state's best interest?

Finally, the only way to get into a future all sports conference is to continue to invest in football and basketball. We have all speculated about what might happen between the P5 and G5, pay for play or no pay for play, the P5 could expand, the P5 could shrink, new conferences could arise,...we don't know. The one thing all of us UConn fans know well is that we need to be ready when the next attractive conference opportunity arises.
You mean they have revenue-generating sports...AND, some aren't generating revenue. That aint got nothing to do with accounting! UCONN is in the hole...for REAL. It's okay if you don't care, but this isn't about accounting. It is the result of poor business decisions. Good luck trying to convince folks that switching conferences is a viable option because they have pretty much decided that anyone who left the Big East...made this huge mistake. They'll tell you that Syracuse and others are fodder for the ACC. Maybe so, but, I'm trying to figure out why they even care? lol And to be honest...they sound scared of teams in other conferences as if they have no true faith that UCONN could survive...in basketball or football.

Reaction Score

you'll care when a P5 school starts waving substantial money under our coach's nose and we can't counteroffer in that stratosphere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom