Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can understand. I'd prefer the HE over the B1G for hockey. Unless Arizona State manages to lead to a Pac-12 hockey league, I am perfectly fine in the HE.

The B1G is not an immediate option but nor did the governor didn't say anything against that possibility. He could have been thinking, "let's enjoy the beauty of the HE for now, the B1G is going to be a lot of work". People at QU even think we fit in the B1G. (They do want to join the HE, too...)
Or maybe he was thinking, I'm powerless to help UConn get into the B1G...maybe they'll give me credit for HE though.

Reaction Score
Now I understand why Hockey East doesn't care for South Bend. So, given your logic, why did the ACC sign them up?

two-day-snow-total-scaled.jpg
LOL. I have a suspicion that Hockey East is trying to pay them back for this in 2015. Six feet of snow in the past month in Boston, and another storm coming this weekend. I'm not sure Notre Dame hosted a lot of Hockey East teams in 2012 though.

At least South Bend is within 2 hours of O'Hare airport, and it has its own smaller airport with Delta service. Weather is an issue though no doubt. Playing your men's lacrosse game in a football indoor practice facility on ESPN was different. I imagine playing in the Carrier Dome set us up for that.

Reaction Score
YUK! Having a root canal and colonoscopy without anesthesia would be more fun. No "Enthusiasm" here for something like that. I've been to Detroit, Benton Harbor, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Ft. Wayne, Lafayette, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, Appleton, Wausau, Fond du Lac, Columbus, Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Rochester, MN, Fort Dodge, Iowa, and Toledo to name a few tour spots. Was almost killed driving in blizzard from Detroit to Kalamazoo one time. Have flown crop dusters/puddle jumpers from Cleveland and Pittsburgh to some of these places in the winter. I've toured quite enough. Thank you. Quite happy on the eastern seaboard. Don't have to travel like that anymore.

But, as aforementioned there is plenty of enthusiasm at Iowa State. And there are plenty of UConn fans her that really want a Big Ten invite. I wish the Big Ten would hurry up and make these fans happy. The Big Ten doesn't need UVA or Notre Dame.

You don't like RV's? Is that it? No problem. I checked with Delany, and he told me to let you know that its okay for you guys to land your crop dusters in the tailgate lots. You can park them right next to Schiano's Old Helicopter.

Reaction Score
LOL. I have a suspicion that Hockey East is trying to pay them back for this in 2015. Six feet of snow in the past month in Boston, and another storm coming this weekend. I'm not sure Notre Dame hosted a lot of Hockey East teams in 2012 though.

The lake-effect snow isn't all that unusual for South Bend, and getting to O'Hare and then getting off the ground can take longer than driving to your destination.

So my point was just that, if weather and rust aren't your thing, ironic that South Bend has a lot of each.

Reaction Score
That's in this dialect quiz. Pretty right on for me. Not from the South, but I have never heard the phrase "Devil Beating His Wife" used when it's raining and the sun shining at the same time. Would love to know how that saying came about.

Tears from the devil's wife...no clouds to account for the rain.

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit, it looks like it will rain.

Reaction Score
Hockey East is where it's at. Today. All things change.
When a hockey conference grows and its members include Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Minnesota....that conference is going to have much more draw than H.E. will. Much more exposure. So for today, I like UCONN's position as a burgeoning program in H.E. But it won't be long before kids start thinking B1G time instead of Umass Lowell, Providence, Merrimack time.
So when the B1G makes the call, I will gladly have our hockey program make the move mid-west into what will be perhaps the top hockey conference in the land.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, some public appearance by him somewhere. I went up to him and started discussing UConn. He seemed quite content with the HE.
Weird. Joining HE is great for UConn but it doesn't resolve the bigger issues.

Wait the governor is a BC grad. He probably doesn't realize that there are other sports!

Reaction Score
The lake-effect snow isn't all that unusual for South Bend, and getting to O'Hare and then getting off the ground can take longer than driving to your destination.

So my point was just that, if weather and rust aren't your thing, ironic that South Bend has a lot of each.

Have to agree with that. I was driving between Chicago and St. Joes's NO for work years back and UConn happened to be playing hoops at ND. Snagged a ticket. Great game, UConn won. On my way to my hotel in Michigan, got caught in a white out. Couldn't tell if I was on the highway or not. Luckily, I made it back in one piece.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The only people surprised by the OP here are those who sprinkle their posts with references to "donuts" or "pina colada" without being ironic.

Ever have a piña colada flavored donut before? They are really good with sprinkles.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reaction Score
The only people surprised by the OP here are those who sprinkle their posts with references to "donuts" or "pina colada" without being ironic.
This will be a pass/fail endeavor for Warde and Sue. It is nice that "they're trying", but I can't believe this is a surprise to anyone. In the end we will either be cheering big time sports or mid major sports. We've been part of the BCS, and are one of only three schools to get the boot from that exclusive club. The other two were fill ins from Conference USA to keep the Big East FB conference alive. I think the people in charge at UConn know better than anyone what is at stake.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This will be a pass/fail endeavor for Warde and Sue. It is nice that "they're trying", but I can't believe this is a surprise to anyone. In the end we will either be cheering big time sports or mid major sports. We've been part of the BCS, and are one of only three schools to get the boot from that exclusive club. The other two were fill ins from Conference USA to keep the Big East FB conference alive. I think the people in charge at UConn know better than anyone what is at stake.
The grading is pass/fail, but it's not clear when the test date is, or if there will be one at all, or if there will be more than one (a make up final... i guess). In the mean time everybody on this board will continue to give their own grades. But the point I want to make is that it isn't even up to Herbst/Manuel - they have to implement their plans for the University / athletic department, maintain their contacts throughout the other universities, and if there is a P5 opening, make their best case. But in the end it's someone else's decision. In that way maybe it's more like a singing competition (well, one where the audience vote doesn't matter and it's only up to the judges) than a pass/fail course.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read your post, and all I could think about was this song. You are now OUT of my Fab 5... ;)

The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)
I am tired of our conference, I mean it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we end up here, when were really hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've known for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears.

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean.
But I expect that a "rock star" would have known the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And when you think where the blame lies, it's not up for debate.

That Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He should have been working, so our last shot wouldn't fall.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and we ended up in tears.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)
I am tired of our conference, I mean is it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we end up when were really so hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

"Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've know for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears"

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean.
But I expect that a "rock star" would have know the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And if you think of what he's cost us, it's not up for debate.

"That Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He should have been working, so our last shot wouldn't fall.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and we ended up in tears.
Wow.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
For what it worth that more about riffing on UCD97's post than trying skewer Manual.

Classic! The best part is that every time I hear that song on the radio in the future (hopefully almost never), I will hear it as, "That Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball..." :cool:

C

Chief00

So this is new - we did not even have talking points before - that explains a lot !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom