Forget MM; I am rooting for Vic | The Boneyard

Forget MM; I am rooting for Vic

Reaction Score
I have hesitated to post about the ugliness from the ND game, mostly because I was so disturbed by it.

I have been a sports fan for as long as I can remember. My first sports hero was Sandy Koufax, followed by Roberto Clemente.

I have had to give up football (too violent), track and field, which I love (too much cheating with drugs), men's basketball (too boring and ugly), etc.

I found the UConn program some 10 years ago, and I love it for the reasons most BYer's do: the beauty of the playing, the relentless demand for excellence, and the wholesomeness of the kids. I admire Geno so much for building something so special, from scratch.

To me, UConn (and some other women's bb programs) embody what I love in sports: play really hard, then shake hands when the game is over. Be gracious in victory and in defeat.

To me, this is all exemplified by a beautiful moment at the end of the London Olympics. D and Tamika Catchings had their arms around one another, beaming in a shared victory. The interviewer asked (paraphrasing), "What about the UConn-Tennessee thing?" I think it was Tamika who said, smiling, "Oh, that was a long time ago." Then D made Tamika promise to play in the 2016 Olympics, which she did.

I find the whole MM thing really distasteful and petty. It is not what I watch sports for. (I mean the not clapping for our beloved Stewie is truly sad. She always acts with such grace.)

I thought about this for some time, and decided to focus on the positive: I really, really, really (using Geno's multiple really's) respect Vic S. He was so gracious when we crushed his MS team in 2016. I mean we beat them by 60 (I was there), and we could have beaten them by 100. I mean that had to hurt a real, real lot. If anyone was going to break our streak, I am glad it was Vic. I am sorry he didn't win the tournament the last two years.

When we don't play them, I am rooting for Vic. And the rooting is deeper than sports.

Every time my mind goes to MM now, I start thinking about Vic. And I smile. He is one of the really, really good guys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have hesitated to post about the ugliness from the ND game, mostly because I was so disturbed by it.

I have been a sports fan for as long as I can remember. My first sports hero was Sandy Koufax, followed by Roberto Clemente.

I have had to give up football (too violent), track and field, which I love (too much cheating with drugs), men's basketball (too boring and ugly), etc.

I found the UConn program some 10 years ago, and I love it for the reasons most BYer's do: the beauty of the playing, the relentless demand for excellence, and the wholesomeness of the kids. I admire Geno so much for building something so special, from scratch.

To me, UConn (and some other women's bb programs) embody what I love in sports: play really hard, then shake hands when the game is over. Be gracious in victory and in defeat.

To me, this is all exemplified by a beautiful moment at the end of the London Olympics. D and Tamika Catchings had their arms around one another, beaming in a shared victory. The interviewer asked (paraphrasing), "What about the UConn-Tennessee thing?" I think it was Tamika who said, smiling, "Oh, that was a long time ago." Then D made Tamika promise to play in the 2016 Olympics, which she did.

I find the whole MM thing really distasteful and petty. It is not what I watch sports for. (I mean the not clapping for our beloved Stewie is truly sad. She always acts with such grace.)

I thought about this for some time, and decided to focus on the positive: I really, really, really (using Geno's multiple really's) respect Vic S. He was so gracious when we crushed his MS team in 2016. I mean we beat them by 60 (I was there), and we could have beaten them by 100. I mean that had to hurt a real, real lot. If anyone was going to break our streak, I am glad it was Vic. I am sorry he didn't win the tournament the last two years.

When we don't play them, I am rooting for Vic. And the rooting is deeper than sports.

Every time my mind goes to MM now, I start thinking about Vic. And I smile. He is one of the really, really good guys.
Amen bro.

Reaction Score

You make some good points. Arike seems to be a “fair weather bird”. When things are going well, she’s all good with praise, adulation, and pats on the back. When things went south, it wasn’t about her team, it was about her. The two plays that stuck in my craw were undercutting of CW & the non-called play at mid court with CD. Great players just don’t pull those kind of stunts unless you want the same treatment, knowing it could end your opponent’s or your season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Thanks, 82, Vic is class. I think his model was and is Geno. In my mind, the two best coaches in WBB!

Reaction Score
Vic definitely deserves lots of respect. Just think how short he has been at that program! Two championship games under his belt already. I was most impressed by, especially his defeating of UCONN right after having lost by 60 points the previous season! What an improvement and turn around that season. He definitely made his former head coach proud.

Reaction Score
Wonderful post. Can't disagree with n though I don't a word of it. I like Vic as well, except when playing UConn.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for -- it might be easier to beat Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament than to beat Mississippi State.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, I too have immense respect for Vic, and also a little fear of him. Vic's teams are relentless defenders. I will be surprised if the Bulldogs do not make their 3rd straight FF. If UConn makes their 12th straight FF, there is a strong possibility that the Huskies will have to find a way to beat the Bulldogs in order to win the championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom