Forget About This Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Forget About This Season

Reaction Score
If Hurley did what he did at Rhode Island, there's no reason to believe he can't do it here. Just have to trust he'll do his thing. His first years turning a program around have never gone well.
Look at Coach Calhoun’s first seasons as coach at UConn. They didn’t go very well. This is beyond possible.

Reaction Score
We have more 4/5 stars than anyone else in this conference. Deplorable effort.
Not up front where we got manhandled. Diarra isn't playing and Wilson didn't get many minutes. Everybody else is 3 stars or lower in our front line.

Reaction Score
Our guards had 53 points with 5 steals and forced them into 20 turnovers on 16/31 shooting and 17/21 from FT line.
Our guards had 53 points with 5 steals and forced them into 20 turnovers on 16/31 shooting and 17/21 from FT line.
I love your positivity at this point. The problem is even though Jalen had 25 points, his six turnovers were devastating. They are worth 2 or 3 points we didn't get and 2 or 3 points we give up on the other end. We are so fragile we can't recover and these mistakes compound.

Reaction Score
We got our butts kicked in front of a crowd (3,429) that would not have filled the field house. How many fans are going to come out and watch this mess if it continues. Could be a very long season as the players look like they do not know how to respond to a tough determined opponent.

Reaction Score
To steal something from Tom Herman at Texas...he said that it takes time to shift culture - getting his players from being compliant (just doing what they’re told) to being committed (doing the right things day in and day out without being told) took time. We’ll get there...but it takes more than half a season.

Reaction Score
AG, JA & Sid are really only top 100 on roster I believe, nothing in frontcourt..talent on roster is a myth.
I think we get hung up way too much on recruiting rankings. Cincy has one top 100 player since 2015 (Cumberland) and has been a tournament team the past eight years.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I think we get hung up way too much on recruiting rankings. Cincy has one top 100 player since 2015 (Cumberland) and has been a tournament team the past eight years.

Mick Cronin is an elite coach....

Reaction Score

To have great players you either:
A) Recruit great players.
B) Develop great players.
C) Develop the great players you recruit.

Cal does A. Cronin does B. The most successful coaches do C.

Reaction Score
After today’s performance I think most are on the same page with recruiting particularly in the front court being everything. Of course it doesn’t make things less aggravating as we watch these games. I just don’t think Hurley has anywhere to go with this. I mean if he were to turn this team around and win the AAC he would be knighted or something. Things could be worse, we have food to eat and a roof over our heads, right?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Amazingly they are getting worse as the season wears on. I thought we’d address that by getting Hurley in here.
We are just playing better teams and getting massively exposed. Which is really demoralizing to the team.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to agree with chief. The next year is all about recruiting. Need better players. Of course it would help to win some since that probably would help with recruiting.

Reaction Score
We are just playing better teams and getting massively exposed. Which is really demoralizing to the team.
FSU and Arizona are way better than USF and UCF, but we were way more competitive. It is very frustrating that it seems we are regressing as the season is going on when all the teams in our league are getting better.

Reaction Score
Best thing that would happen this seaon is landing Kofi and precious

Reaction Score
FSU and Arizona are way better than USF and UCF, but we were way more competitive. It is very frustrating that it seems we are regressing as the season is going on when all the teams in our league are getting better.

UCF is better than Arizona. USF was on the road. But yes, FSU was way better than the rest and blew us out in the 2nd half like the others did.

Reaction Score

Hurley said in his post-game presser that UCF was the 2nd best team they've faced all season.

Reaction Score
Missed last 2 games, but in reading classic BY posts, I conclude: my goodness - the season IS over!!

Reaction Score
Forget about what?
Forget about winning the AAC. Forget about NCAA seeding. Forget about winning the AAC tournament to make the tourney. Forget about post season expectations that UCONN fans have been used to in the past. Also forget about Hurley turning this particular group into a good team this season. These are all unrealistic things to expect based on what we have seen so far, right? Forget about this season being a success (aside from recruiting).

Reaction Score
Amazingly they are getting worse as the season wears on. I thought we’d address that by getting Hurley in here.
Great point, but it’s a signature trait of losing programs. They don’t have the stomach or fortitude to battle through adversity. This team folds the minute things start going south and the pressure is on. The long scoring droughts marked by bad shots, turn overs, players standing around, lazy passes, poor free throwing shooting are all players shrinking under pressure and mentality checking out.

Reaction Score
Not up front where we got manhandled. Diarra isn't playing and Wilson didn't get many minutes. Everybody else is 3 stars or lower in our front line.

Wilson got manhandled. Once again he looked lost. He has great physical skills. He is not a good college basketball player.

Reaction Score
To me Sid is a great athlete with limited basketball skill set. I thought that seeing him at Brewster two years ago several times and still think that now seeing him two years later after practicing with a college team. Still is not a great shooter or ball handler so I think he is what he is.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This board is entirely too obsessed with rankings. Don't get me wrong, it's great getting ranked players with perceived potential, but once they are in college and on UConn if they don't play up to their ranking it doesn't mean much. Our ranked players either can't shoot, can't rebound, are short, weak physically or mentally, or generally overrated. If the pieces don't fit together to form a cohesive unit, what do rankings matter? The jury is in on this group of players both individually and as a collective team and the verdict is not good. Did I hope Hurley would be able to do more with these guys and beat subpar teams like USF? Yep. But the more I watch them, I feel like we are expecting a michelin star chef to cook us a decent meal with SPAM, cottage cheese and hot sauce. Hurley is not infallable but this seems like mission impossible. This team folds like oregami with absolutely no pushback the second things get tough. I said in another thread. All these games seem like Groundhog Day.
You are right. The rankings in many cases are based on AAU performance or athleticism but the college game is far from the AAU game. Charachter, coachability, basketball IQ are hard to measure when projecting them living and performing in college. Not saying it's easy to judge.

Question: Do AAU kids have measured skills like football and lacrosse such as standing broad jump, vertical leap, bench press, sprint speed etc.? If not, are coaches relying on the eye test?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom