Forget About This Season | The Boneyard

Forget About This Season

Reaction Score
The good news is Hurley clearly recognizes this. His coaching almost suggests that he doesn't expect more out of this group of players and is eager to bring in his own guys, and frankly who could blame him.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm still extremely confident in the future of UConn hoops with Hurley leading the way, but posters here can with the talent excuse vs programs like USF.

That excuse works against Nova, Florida State, etc. but tonight? No way.

Bad loss and a pretty poor showing by Hurley and the team.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe all over the BY tonight I’m seeing comments about our players not being good enough. This wasn’t against Duke or Villanova. This was against a bad USF team. The coach of USF would trade his best players for ours in a heartbeat. Most coaches in our conference would.

Obviously we need better players to get to where we want to, but to beat most of the teams in the AAC, we already have the players. No excuses.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe all over the BY tonight I’m seeing comments about our players not being good enough. This wasn’t against Duke or Villanova. This was against a bad USF team. The coach of USF would trade his best players for ours in a heartbeat. Most coaches in our conference would.

Obviously we need better players to get to where we want to, but to beat most of the teams in the AAC, we already have the players. No excuses.
It's not just about skills. They have been taught how to lose and they have the mentality of losers. When your best player doesn't have a competitive bone in his body you know the team is doomed. I was really hoping Adams would rise to the occasion but he doesn't want to be in the limelight.

Reaction Score
We have more 4/5 stars than anyone else in this conference. Deplorable effort.

We start 2, 1 of which is 3 shoulder surgeries later. Another on the roster has missed most of the last 2 seasons including all of this one. One is a grad transfer who fell out of a rotation at his last school, but didn't play tonight with an injury. Lastly there is Sid, who looks terrified all the time and is still getting his bearings after sitting out last year and suspended for prime training time.

Leaves Jalen. Who had 25 on 50% shooting, but 6 turnovers. Jalen had the pleasure of being "coached" and "developed" by Ollie for 3 years. He hasn't had all of those habits drilled out of him yet, and it'll take more than his 1 year to do it.

Polley, Vital, and Carlton are all 150+ guys. More or less the same with the rest of the conference. So we have 1 Ollie-5* and a bunch of injured or injury-recovering, or rust shedding 4/5* guys.

Reaction Score
We have more 4/5 stars than anyone else in this conference. Deplorable effort.
AG, JA & Sid are really only top 100 on roster I believe, nothing in frontcourt............talent on roster is a myth.

Reaction Score
Already have the players? We cud possibly have one of the worst frontcourts in the country. Or the worst.

Reaction Score
It's not just about skills. They have been taught how to lose and they have the mentality of losers. When your best player doesn't have a competitive bone in his body you know the team is doomed. I was really hoping Adams would rise to the occasion but he doesn't want to be in the limelight.

I went on a rant about Adams in another thread and I get what you are saying, but it’s not like Adams or anyone else on the team is completely uncoachable. If that was the case, hurley would have gotten rid of some of these guys already.

Reaction Score
Only AG Jalen and maybe sid have talent. God another long winter. Dunno if I can take another year like last 2

Reaction Score
I went on a rant about Adams in another thread and I get what you are saying, but it’s not like Adams or anyone else on the team is completely uncoachable. If that was the case, hurley would have gotten rid of some of these guys already.
The team will be better without Adams next year. His energy on the court is infectious and not in a good way.

Reaction Score
We start 2, 1 of which is 3 shoulder surgeries later. Another on the roster has missed most of the last 2 seasons including all of this one. One is a grad transfer who fell out of a rotation at his last school, but didn't play tonight with an injury. Lastly there is Sid, who looks terrified all the time and is still getting his bearings after sitting out last year and suspended for prime training time.

Leaves Jalen. Who had 25 on 50% shooting, but 6 turnovers. Jalen had the pleasure of being "coached" and "developed" by Ollie for 3 years. He hasn't had all of those habits drilled out of him yet, and it'll take more than his 1 year to do it.

Polley, Vital, and Carlton are all 150+ guys. More or less the same with the rest of the conference. So we have 1 Ollie-5* and a bunch of injured or injury-recovering, or rust shedding 4/5* guys.
And how many stars did Laquincy Rideau have because he schooled the UConn backcourt today.

Reaction Score
I'm still extremely confident in the future of UConn hoops with Hurley leading the way, but posters here can with the talent excuse vs programs like USF.

That excuse works against Nova, Florida State, etc. but tonight? No way.

Bad loss and a pretty poor showing by Hurley and the team.
Say this 5 times slow. "We do not have a front court better than anyone's". It will seep in.

Reaction Score

This is 100% on the money. This has been the case for the past few years now. We have trouble beating teams we should easily beat by double digits based on just talent alone. The other thing that I cant get over is the fact we dont improve as the season goes on. You can even make the argument that over the last couple years, we have gotten worse the later in the season it gets. Arizona would blow away USF by 20, but we played Arizona tougher than we played USF tonight. Hurley has my full support, and I know he will recruit high level players and develop them. When you see results like tonight, it makes you wonder if its more mental than physical. I hope Hurley targets players that have that killer instinct and attitude who not only want to win, but hate to lose (Kemba, Shabazz, Khalid, Adrien,Boatright).

Reaction Score
And how many stars did Laquincy Rideau have because he schooled the UConn backcourt today.

Our guards had 53 points with 5 steals and forced them into 20 turnovers on 16/31 shooting and 17/21 from FT line.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Say this 5 times slow. "We do not have a front court better than anyone's". It will seep in.

USF went 10-22 last season and was predicted to finish last this year.

Who the hell is the all world talent on USF that we shouldn't have been able to beat? I

Reaction Score
This board is entirely too obsessed with rankings. Don't get me wrong, it's great getting ranked players with perceived potential, but once they are in college and on UConn if they don't play up to their ranking it doesn't mean much. Our ranked players either can't shoot, can't rebound, are short, weak physically or mentally, or generally overrated. If the pieces don't fit together to form a cohesive unit, what do rankings matter? The jury is in on this group of players both individually and as a collective team and the verdict is not good. Did I hope Hurley would be able to do more with these guys and beat subpar teams like USF? Yep. But the more I watch them, I feel like we are expecting a michelin star chef to cook us a decent meal with SPAM, cottage cheese and hot sauce. Hurley is not infallable but this seems like mission impossible. This team folds like oregami with absolutely no pushback the second things get tough. I said in another thread. All these games seem like Groundhog Day.

Reaction Score
USF went 10-22 last season and was predicted to finish last this year.

Who the hell is the all world talent on USF that we shouldn't have been able to beat? I
I am not liking it and I cannot answer your question. But our front court is better than no one's

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am not liking it and I cannot answer your question. But our front court is better than no one's

I hear ya, but as bad as our front court may be, USF is a team that even in a transition season we need to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom