Foreign Tours | The Boneyard

Foreign Tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
What are the rules about doing the foreign tours prior to the season starting?

Kentucky did one last year, and it appears Cal will be doing one this year in Australia.

When is the last time UConn did one? I seem to remember something prior to the 2003-2004 season. When would we be eligible again? Seems to be a great way to get a team to gel before the season starts.

Reaction Score
I think you can do one of these every 4 years. And yes, 2003 is the last time I remember UConn doing this (I think they went to England). Surprising they haven't done it since then.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can you explain what a foreign tour is?

D1 team goes to a foreign country over the summer and plays a few exhibition games against teams from that country, goes sightseeing, maybe does a little community service.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
D1 team goes to a foreign country over the summer and plays a few exhibition games against teams from that country, goes sightseeing, maybe does a little community service.
Are the games normally televised? I would love to see this happen.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Are the games normally televised? I would love to see this happen.

Typically no, but ESPN did televise Kentucky's games this past summer. I can't imagine that happening for UConn though.

Reaction Score
I was going to post about this because this was on my mind. I think a summer trip like UK had last year would be huge for our team. With a Fr point guard in Adams, and judging how last season went, i think the extra games would be huge for experience.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Also gives you exposure in a country that you might want to recruit in. I remember our team going to Israel at some point. Seems to me that Germany would be a good place to go. Lot of history to learn about, plus a big bball tradition.

Reaction Score
Yeah we could really use one this year. I can't remember going into a season with this much uncertainty. First we need to figure out who our point guard will be. Adams appears to best the leading candidate but if he has his struggles someone else would have to step up. Next we need to figure out who our 4 man will be. If we get Shonn Miller, pencil him in. But if not, will it be Facey, Nolan, or Enoch? A foreign tour would help answer a lot of questions for this team and also get the team chemistry rolling.

Reaction Score
A tour will help because the best part about it is you are playing actual games instead of just pickup against each other. Thats huge for experience and not to mention after a few games vs pretty good competition, the players and team will get a good idea of their weakness and what they have to work on. Its better too see that in August to have more time to work and improve things.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
An international tour would help with recognition and recruiting, but do you think the program can afford to blow resources like that while on an AAC payroll? I dont see stuff like this happening for a while.

Reaction Score

D1 team goes to a foreign country over the summer and plays a few exhibition games against teams from that country, goes sightseeing, learns kungfu, maybe does a little community service.

Georgetown-vs-China-brawl-e1314211913633.jpg

Reaction Score
What are the rules about doing the foreign tours prior to the season starting?

Kentucky did one last year, and it appears Cal will be doing one this year in Australia.

When is the last time UConn did one? I seem to remember something prior to the 2003-2004 season. When would we be eligible again? Seems to be a great way to get a team to gel before the season starts.

Reaction Score
UCONN played Mich St at Ramstein Air base in 2011.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
MSU in Germany was a regular season game. These tours take place over the summer and consist of multiple games against local teams.

Reaction Score
An international tour would help with recognition and recruiting, but do you think the program can afford to blow resources like that while on an AAC payroll? I dont see stuff like this happening for a while.
UConn takes in a lot and spends a lot. Their men's basketball budget was 20th in the country in 2014. They may be in a mid-major type conference but they don't act like a mid-major so I don't think a foreign trip would be too taxing on their budget.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
UConn takes in a lot and spends a lot. Their men's basketball budget was 20th in the country in 2014. They may be in a mid-major type conference but they don't act like a mid-major so I don't think a foreign trip would be too taxing on their budget.
The figures you posted still dont really reflect what life in the AAC will be in say 5 years. UConn is still receiving large sums from the buyout of the Big East name, as well as coming fresh off a large sum earned from winning the title last year. The transition wont be overnight.

Reaction Score
BUHusky10 said:
The figures you posted still dont really reflect what life in the AAC will be in say 5 years. UConn is still receiving large sums from the buyout of the Big East name, as well as coming fresh off a large sum earned from winning the title last year. The transition wont be overnight.

The reason the AD upgraded hockey and will add lacrosse is that the money will be there. They know where it will come from. That doesn't mean that the B1G is a guarantee, things can change, but they didn't do this stuff to drive UConn off a cliff.

Reaction Score
Well if the men's basketball budget is going down to mid-major level then just tell me now so I can properly adjust my expectations for the future because the team's fortunes will go down with the trimmed budget.

Last edited:

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
The reason the AD upgraded hockey and will add lacrosse is that the money will be there. They know where it will come from. That doesn't mean that the B1G is a guarantee, things can change, but they didn't do this stuff to drive UConn off a cliff.

Source for the lacrosse information? I would be ecstatic if they added lacrosse, however last I heard it isn't feasible from a Title IX and budget standpoint

Reaction Score
Source for the lacrosse information? I would be ecstatic if they added lacrosse, however last I heard it isn't feasible from a Title IX and budget standpoint
Read the conference realignment board for more info on Lacrosse.

If you can go on a pre-season trip once every 4 years how is UK doing it again this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom