OT: - Foreign Student decision reversal | The Boneyard

OT: Foreign Student decision reversal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the face of significant opposition from colleges, states and US businesses, the Federal Government has just reversed their stated policy of prohibiting foreign students from studying in the US unless schools offered “in person” classes. The government’s change was announced during a preliminary hearing relative to the lawsuit filed by Harvard & MIT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The US Government realized it was going to lose.
Beyond that likely event, there was a bipartisan chorus of opposition to the original decision. Several colleges in the South, Midwest and throughout the country filed “Friend of the Court” briefs in support of Harvard & MIT’s petition. It is, after all, an election year.

Reaction Score
I hope her last name is Fudd ....
Fudd. Hmmmm.... I've heard that name before. Can't quite place where. Not that Elmer puddy cat guy, he doesn't seem to be the point guard type and besides is he is a cartoon. Give me a minute and I'll think where I heard about this Fudd person. Oh, I know! Every gol durn post in the last 6 months.:D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rice University President David Leebron, speaking on CNN as the announcement was made, said he's "delighted" at the decision to reverse course.

"We thought the original rules that were suggested were cruel and misguided and didn't serve our universities, didn't serve our students and frankly didn't serve our country," Leebron said.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rice University President David Leebron, speaking on CNN as the announcement was made, said he's "delighted" at the decision to reverse course.

"We thought the original rules that were suggested were cruel and misguided and didn't serve our universities, didn't serve our students and frankly didn't serve our country," Leebron said.
I was biking by my local middle school yesterday when I had a “brilliant” idea. ;) Why not use campus space to set up tents to house outdoor classrooms where students can safely social distance. Of course it would be problematic in upstate NY once the weather turns cold, but maybe it’s a start.

With that in mind, I just read that Rice University is doing exactly that. They have ordered 5 large circus tents, which will be set up on campus. I would not be surprised if other colleges and universities follow suit, using campus courtyards and even athletic fields to set up similar facilities. That doesn’t necessarily solve the problems related to congregant dorms and cafeterias, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was biking by my local middle school yesterday when I had a “brilliant” idea. ;) Why not use campus space to set up tents to house outdoor classrooms where students can safely social distance. Of course it would be problematic in upstate NY once the weather turns cold, but maybe it’s a start.

With that in mind, I just read that Rice University is doing exactly that. They have ordered 5 large circus tents, which will be set up on campus. I would not be surprised if other colleges and universities follow suit, using campus courtyards and even athletic fields to set up similar facilities. That doesn’t necessarily solve the problems related to congregant dorms and cafeterias, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction.
When my son was a freshman at Rice, he got a nice sweater for Christmas. But he never had an opportunity to wear it in the spring semester, because even January temps were too high. Houston has lots of heavy showers; those and heat are more likely to be problems than cold. It was 98 degrees there today.

I suppose the use of outdoor tents could make this whole thing a "circus." :D

Reaction Score
When my son was a freshman at Rice, he got a nice sweater for Christmas. But he never had an opportunity to wear it in the spring semester, because even January temps were too high. Houston has lots of heavy showers; those and heat are more likely to be problems than cold. It was 98 degrees there today.

I suppose the use of outdoor tents could make this whole thing a "circus." :D
Heaters and air conditioners are wonderful things. I remember a business trip to Houston in January where it snowed. I also remember a June Boston trip where it snowed and a November Boston trip in the 80's. Portable classrooms with the proper support give maximum flexibility no matter what climate change has in store. Great idea. Could also help reduce the brink and mortar costs of colleges but another topic for another day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom