For what it's worth....a few post game observations | The Boneyard

For what it's worth....a few post game observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't get online to contribute to the thread, so I just thought I'd post a couple of things that occurred to me as the game went on.
  • All those of us -- especially including me -- who compained about UConn's inability to get Stef the ball should look at NC's efforts in that regard. UConn just shut Shegog down.
  • Doesn't it look like Caroline's getting more and more comfortable in her own skin now? Solid defensive play and a number of good shots.
  • Kelly just continues to impress. In a lot of ways, she's the straw that stirs the drink.
  • Stef had herself a fine game. It was the first time in a long time -- maybe all season -- that she looked like the Stef of the last half of last season. Which proves that if teams can't or won't do the heavy-duty double-team thing, she'll kill 'em.
  • Kiah was wonderful. Granted, it was against a team whose wheels had come off early, but the fact remains, against a ranked team she got herself a double-double, and it was by working very very hard.
  • KLM will just coninue to shoot, no matter what. She has no conscience, which is a good thing, IMHO.
  • Tiffany was again in the thick of things tonight. She is disappearing a lot less this season, which is good because the team needs her.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I didn't get online to contribute to the thread, so I just thought I'd post a couple of things that occurred to me as the game went on.
  • All those of us -- especially including me -- who compained about UConn's inability to get Stef the ball should look at NC's efforts in that regard. UConn just shut Shegog down.
  • Doesn't it look like Caroline's getting more and more comfortable in her own skin now? Solid defensive play and a number of good shots.
  • Kelly just continues to impress. In a lot of ways, she's the straw that stirs the drink.
  • Stef had herself a fine game. It was the first time in a long time -- maybe all season -- that she looked like the Stef of the last half of last season. Which proves that if teams can't or won't do the heavy-duty double-team thing, she'll kill 'em.
  • Kiah was wonderful. Granted, it was against a team whose wheels had come off early, but the fact remains, against a ranked team she got herself a double-double, and it was by working very very hard.
  • KLM will just coninue to shoot, no matter what. She has no conscience, which is a good thing, IMHO.
  • Tiffany was again in the thick of things tonight. She is disappearing a lot less this season, which is good because the team needs her.
Great points all. I have only to add props for Bria as always. She's really the straw that stirs this drink. The team's play was complete buzzer-to-buzzer!

Reaction Score
Year, I thought about that description for Bria. If she keeps this up, she has to be an AA candidate at some level, right?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Agree with your point about Caroline. She's looking much more comfortable and is back to playing the game the way she knows how.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Year, I thought about that description for Bria. If she keeps this up, she has to be an AA candidate at some level, right?

Bria is the next UConn All-American. More important, she is most likely the wearer of the next jersey (#14) to go up on the Gampel wall.

Kaleena is right behind. Don't count Stef out.

Reaction Score
very good point about CD. I saw the way she was moving during the game and commented on it. Let's hope she is can become the Bang Bang we saw as a freshman by the time March rolls around.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

I'm beginning to believe she hasn't met a shot she wouldn't take - good or bad. A couple of bad decisions driving to the hoop against multiple defenders, hmmm I guess she is a freshman after all.

Reaction Score

Very good and I don't want to throw a wet blanket on our performance tonight, but the better teams will do the heavy-duty double-team thing on Steph. So we haven't demonstrated a remedy for that by tonight's great win. It's a work in progress.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the Stef issues - I am still concerned that her work down low and the guard play remain somewaht out of sync. She gets great position on one side just as the guards are switching the ball back to the other side and visa versa. And some of the entry passes are too early/too late or just bad. We had a few really good entry passes to Stef and to Kiah tonight, but not enough. (Hard to complain about such a good and comprehensive win, but ... what else are we going to do?!:) )

Reaction Score
Very good and I don't want to throw a wet blanket on our performance tonight, but the better teams will do the heavy-duty double-team thing on Steph. So we haven't demonstrated a remedy for that by tonight's great win. It's a work in progress.

Well, if we ask nicely maybe CD and Kelly will open up the scoring on every night. That would open up the post a bit. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On the Stef issues - I am still concerned that her work down low and the guard play remain somewaht out of sync. She gets great position on one side just as the guards are switching the ball back to the other side and visa versa. And some of the entry passes are too early/too late or just bad. We had a few really good entry passes to Stef and to Kiah tonight, but not enough. (Hard to complain about such a good and comprehensive win, but ... what else are we going to do?!:) )
Agreed. There were a few times where I said "now, there she is" but no entry pass or it would be a few seconds late. They missed her a few times when she was open and had buried her defender.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Agreed. There were a few times where I said "now, there she is" but no entry pass or it would be a few seconds late. They missed her a few times when she was open and had buried her defender.
This has been one of the critical issues.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Wow. Learn something new every day. I have loved.that song forever but never knew the title, so thanks.

(to myers)

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow. Learn something new every day. I have loved.that song forever but never knew the title, so thanks.

(to myers)

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
I didn't either until Bowersox released it. They said it was a cover, I looked at the title and I was like "I never heard of that". Then when I heard the song, "oh, that song".

Reaction Score
Great Post, Bria is the glue that makes this team work. When she gets all 8 players singing the same tune........Lookout.....You can start to see Tiff, Kiah, KML and Stef finding the roles and what is expected every night. Come late feb, nobody will want to play this team and ND will find a different team at the XL........Go UCONN!!

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Considering that NC is not a patsy, that was some performance last night!

It makes me think that a young team, while more likely to play monkey see monkey do (play down to the level of their opponent if they are not challenged), also has the room to grow and get better than anyone thought they could! Remember - the end of the 11 person UCONN bench this year is...maybe a starter by the end of the season, depending on match-ups?:)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Caroline is looking much better. She will never regain some of her mobility but she certainly is a wiser player on the floor.

The pass into Stef in the post still needs work but looked better last night.

Bria is something special but she still needs to work on getting the post pass down when we are in the half court set (from Geno). It will come.

Kiah was a pleasant surprise last night. Hopefully her development will continue. She can be a very important key down the road as we head into tournament time.

Reaction Score
This has been one of the critical issues.

Steph has her limitations as does every player. She needs the right support.
I see this as Geno's problem. He's a great coach, right? Great coaches work these things out with team strategies. Geno still has time; I predict that he will work out a strategy to beat ND and Baylor and bring the NC back to it's rightful home, UCONN.

Reaction Score

CD's lateral movement was much better tonight.---A GREAT SIGN.

Kelly's shot goes in when she sets her feet. When her feet move forward during her shot it doesn't. Almost like she's shooting free throw. Set your feet Kelly!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Oh, no. The remedy did show Monday. For the most part, the open player was getting the ball, taking the shot, and making many of them. That's what kills the double-team.

Reaction Score
Oh, no. The remedy did show Monday. For the most part, the open player was getting the ball, taking the shot, and making many of them. That's what kills the double-team.

I'm looking for a remedy that will work against Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom