For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part

Reaction Score
Been trying to figure that out for a while. Not sure what UConn is arguing.

All she has to do is say that the treatment she got from the fans after her comment made her feel unsafe. Violence in the workplace is a hot issue. I defended a couple of employees who did what I thought was non-threatening but the employees got a month suspension for actions that happened outside the workplace and on their own time. Zero tolerance. All the personnel people were concerned with was if the complainant was made to feel unsafe. Whether that was a reasonable reaction had no bearing.

Reaction Score
If it was denied she would have been told before now. The fact that there is no decision is positive. The longer it takes the more that says that they are still undecided which is a good thing. Her request has some merit. Enough? Who knows. If as they stated somewhere that cases are doled out to 6 people then they need at some point to make sure there is consistency in their decisions. And if there are appeals then another group has to do the same exercise.
And remember the first rule of a bureaucracy is "never be in the same room as a decision. :)

Reaction Score
You would think there is a legal precedent for the early awarding of a waiver! Parents might have a legal right to sue the NCAA as being denied her rights of any college student to participate!
Many decisions both by the College and the player are concerned if they are eligible now or not!
Does she become a focal point in practice or go with the players that ARE eligible and will definitely play.
By withholding the decision till the last minute really does hurt everyone concerned!
It just seems like an NCAA power-trip to hold these players in never-never land till the NCAA is ready to spread the news!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You would think there is a legal precedent for the early awarding of a waiver! Parents might have a legal right to sue the NCAA as being denied her rights of any college student to participate!
Many decisions both by the College and the player are concerned if they are eligible now or not!
Does she become a focal point in practice or go with the players that ARE eligible and will definitely play.
By withholding the decision till the last minute really does hurt everyone concerned!
It just seems like an NCAA power-trip to hold these players in never-never land till the NCAA is ready to spread the news!
While a timely decision would be nice , the NCAA is an "association". To play in the association you have to agree to live by the rules of the association. The association "rule" is if you transfer you sit. The association also provides for exceptions to that rule. The rule about exceptions is that the NCAA gets to adjudicate it. Those are the rules and there is not much grounds for a lawsuit, because playing in the association is not a "right" it is an earned privilege for a select few.
Geno has already been on record as saying that preparation is definitely being impacted by the delayed decision.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder if the distractions/attacks/revisions on the NCAA "pay for play" stance are affecting the speed / results of the transfer waiver's.

Reaction Score
I take it from one who know. Thank you Coach. I don't have your years of coaching but I too thought that it is unfair to all concerned to wait until the last minute. We have less than one week before the FIRST EXHIBITION game. I doubt even the NCAA would go beyond that.
Decisions are difficult or not so difficult or easy all they take is for a few authorities to consult on the WAIVER and make a decision. As said above--she had threats against her, she has a coach quit and a new coach (I thought that was a reason to transfer)
If not a POWER TRIP AS you say--why hold up the decision. If not for the recovering of injury/surgery she'd have a case for legal redress.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If not a POWER TRIP AS you say--why hold up the decision. If not for the recovering of injury/surgery she'd have a case for legal redress.
Don't think this is a power trip at all. Where is the "power" in holding up a decision for a few women to play college basketball. I think the delay reflects two things as someone previously stated: 1) The NCAA is understaffed compared to the number of request. 2) WCBB has clearly been relegated to the "bottom" of the pile of requests.
I bet if the UCONN men were as highly ranked as the women and had a request in that pile it would have been decided upon by now.

Reaction Score
While a timely decision would be nice , the NCAA is an "association". To play in the association you have to agree to live by the rules of the association. The association "rule" is if you transfer you sit. The association also provides for exceptions to that rule. The rule about exceptions is that the NCAA gets to adjudicate it. Those are the rules and there is not much grounds for a lawsuit, because playing in the association is not a "right" it is an earned privilege for a select few.
Geno has already been on record as saying that preparation is definitely being impacted by the delayed decision.
@CocoHusky I must agree and also have a different slant on the Association rulings. Nothing says I am right, just a different view.
I guess I was military too young and I see things black or white, no grays (usually) so says my psychologist daughter. I understand what you say about the ASSOCIATION. Usually that is my view if you belong to a church or club, or association you agree to abide by the Association rules. That's my normal view.
However, even Associations must deliver fair and standard/normal decisions. Once a Shephard decision was made that became the exception to the rule and as such is now available to other College players. If a no decision or a negative decision is delivered that effects the long term career of the individual as her coach or her parent I'd try the legal step to a positive solution. To me the hangup for Westbrook is her health too impacts her delay in playing and therefore her long term career. No Suit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Remember, waiver petitions go through a 2-step process. After an initial decision by NCAA staff (mostly denials), the next step is to appeal to the Committee for Legislative Relief. As mentioned in another thread, the committee members are not NCAA employees:

If the waiver is denied, an institution can appeal the decision to the NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief. That group includes seven voting members made up of Division I athletic department, compliance and conference officials from around the country.

Although the NCAA is responsible for the process, the decisions are being made by people who have day jobs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@CocoHusky I must agree and also have a different slant on the Association rulings. Nothing says I am right, just a different view.
I guess I was military too young and I see things black or white, no grays (usually) so says my psychologist daughter. I understand what you say about the ASSOCIATION. Usually that is my view if you belong to a church or club, or association you agree to abide by the Association rules. That's my normal view.
However, even Associations must deliver fair and standard/normal decisions. Once a Shephard decision was made that became the exception to the rule and as such is now available to other College players.
If a no decision or a negative decision is delivered that effects the long term career of the individual as her coach or her parent I'd try the legal step to a positive solution. To me the hangup for Westbrook is her health too impacts her delay in playing and therefore her long term career. No Suit.
This is America and I'm sure you can find some lawyer to take the case. Another NCAA rule (policy/practice really) is that the decision are final and private. Privacy guarantees that we do not know if Shepard's decision set any new precedent. Dawn suggested that Cooper parents lawyered up after she was denied, but that would have been useless. Don't join the association if you can't live with or don't understand the rules.

Reaction Score
from a consistently underachieving and dysfunctional program
Careful with your words... You speak as though you were never aware of all the success Pat Summit brought to the Tennessee program.. She was Geno before Geno was Geno... They used to kick our a**es all the time until we finally got over the hump. The disrespect in your comment is kinda unnecessary IMHO. You could easily argue that we're on the cusp of going thru what they're currently going through. Geno's no spring chicken these days... When that era ends you don't know what's coming.

Reaction Score
Don't think this is a power trip at all. Where is the "power" in holding up a decision for a few women to play college basketball. I think the delay reflects two things as someone previously stated: 1) The NCAA is understaffed compared to the number of request. 2) WCBB has clearly been relegated to the "bottom" of the pile of requests.
I bet if the UCONN men were as highly ranked as the women and had a request in that pile it would have been decided upon by now.
Sir Coco--my respect for you, you know . the following is not intended as an insult just my views on the NCAA. My words are not direct at YOU . They are however directed towards the NCAA.
Maybe Power trip was strong but the image of POWER TRIP remains with the NCAA's lack of expediency in this decision. The NCAA may be "under-staffed" that should not be an issue for a decision. These are professionals (I hope) that understand the emotional, professional, and personal impact those decisions make for these kids. Any governmental or association or church that can hold up decisions that impact the college and/or professional career of anyone ---hold power in their decisions. That is the power. The NCAA can keep a school from playing in post season play---that's power. It may appear to NOT be life and death but to the kids it may feel that way---power.
Unless they are dealing with 900 decisions the delay is too long. Should that number be anywhere near correct an organization that deals with these knows you divide that number and conquer, i.e. tirage.
If what you say about the WCBB being relegated to the bottom--I revise my Legal redress solution--the number of employees/personnel is not a factor for the STUDENT that is a failure of the NCAA not the School or the student. The amount of money the NCAA takes in should provide sufficient employees to handle these situations and not allow students or school to endure Mental and professional duress--I suggest a Class Action--Association or not, when it impacts the lives of kids in 360 Div 1 schools not to mention the others--something must be done.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Careful with your words... You speak as though you were never aware of all the success Pat Summit brought to the Tennessee program.. She was Geno before Geno was Geno... They used to kick our a**es all the time until we finally got over the hump. The disrespect in your comment is kinda unnecessary IMHO. You could easily argue that we're on the cusp of going thru what they're currently going through. Geno's no spring chicken these days... When that era ends you don't know what's coming.

They did? That's news. The first time the teams ever played each other was the MLK day game in 1995. UConn won 3 of the first 4 meetings between the teams. Since then, each team has had winning streaks against the other. Overall, UConn leads the series 13-9.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pat was a great coach who hasn’t roamed the sidelines in Knoxville since 2012. Clearly my reference was to TN under HW. In addition, my criticism of TN under HW was mild compared to the criticism coming from LV fans.

Also, you have your history a bit mixed up. The Huskies won the first two meetings ever between the 2 schools in 1995. TN won the last 3 ending the series in 2007 when Pat refused to play UConn. The series was always competitive with the Huskies holding the lead 13-9.

Finally, all of us here on the BY recognize that carrying on UConn’s incredible success in WBB will be an enormous challenge for whomever takes over the coaching reigns once Geno hangs up his whistle.

Reaction Score
This is America and I'm sure you can find some lawyer to take the case. Another NCAA rule (policy/practice really) is that the decision are final and private. Privacy guarantees that we do not know if Shepard's decision set any new precedent. Dawn suggested that Cooper parents lawyered up after she was denied, but that would have been useless. Don't join the association if you can't live with or don't understand the rules.
I know you, like me, bleed and have bled red, white, blue.
I can find an attorney to take on nearly any case and I think this one has merit. Kids in college sports don't have a choice of the NCAA--it's not so much an Association as a dictator of sports. You are more conversant with this so I ask: Do all kids that play college sports SIGN up to abide by the NCAA ruling OR is it the Schools that signe up. If the former, they must know what they are signing for it to be legal. If the School do the signing --they can't usurp the students rights.
The only issue in taking legal action is MONEY--it takes lots of money to sue MONEY. But it has and can be done. I don't dispute the PRIVATE

Reaction Score
They did? That's news. The first time the teams ever played each other was the MLK day game in 1995. UConn won 3 of the first 4 meetings between the teams. Since then, each team has had winning streaks against the other. Overall, UConn leads the series 13-9.

Based on his handle, I took it that he was referring to the Kentucky program. You are correct, Tennessee has never had a winning record against UConn.

Reaction Score
@CocoHusky
i'M WHISTLING IN THE WIND. My frustration on this whole WAiVER thing got the best ot me.
But I did enjoy the discussion with you. It is of no avail to continue this.
Sufficient to say: I respect you views and knowledge of the Ncaa and life.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's a story on immediately eligibility granted to more than 30 mid-major transfers on the men's side. A couple of recent approvals in WCBB involved transfers to mid-majors.

My first thought was to wonder whether the NCAA is trying to even things out a little with mid-majors. The mid-majors object strongly to the grad transfer rule which often favors P5 or equivalent teams at the expense of mid-majors. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Pat was a great coach who hasn’t roamed the sidelines in Knoxville since 2012. Clearly my reference was to TN under HW. In addition, my criticism of TN under HW was mild compared to the criticism coming from LV fans.

Also, you have your history a bit mixed up. The Huskies won the first two meetings ever between the 2 schools in 1995. TN won the last 3 ending the series in 2007 when Pat refused to play UConn. The series was always competitive with the Huskies holding the lead 13-9.

Finally, all of us here on the BY recognize that carrying on UConn’s incredible success in WBB will be an enormous challenge for whomever takes over the coaching reigns once Geno hangs up his whistle.
@oldude Thanks for the kind words for PAT-- I really enjoyed her going head to head with Geno--the disease got to her, terrible disease and it lingers years before doctors diagnose it. Thanks. WE can only imagine what those games would be like today had PAT REMAINED healthy. The BS with Maya was the disease--and a stupid Administration.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do all kids that play college sports SIGN up to abide by the NCAA ruling OR is it the Schools that signe up. If the former, they must know what they are signing for it to be legal. If the School do the signing --they can't usurp the students rights.
The only issue in taking legal action is MONEY--it takes lots of money to sue MONEY. But it has and can be done. I don't dispute the PRIVATE
The NCAA is comprised of member schools. By membership ALL schools agree to abide by ALL NCAA rules. Conferences are made up of schools which may impose additional athletic rules provided they don't supersede the NCAA rules. ALL scholarship athletes sign a scholarship agreement which includes agreeing to play by the NCAA, conference, and schools rules. If you don't know what you are signing up for, don't sign. NOBODY has a "right" to play in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
@oldude Thanks for the kind words for PAT-- I really enjoyed her going head to head with Geno--the disease got to her, terrible disease and it lingers years before doctors diagnose it. Thanks. WE can only imagine what those games would be like today had PAT REMAINED healthy. The BS with Maya was the disease--and a stupid Administration.
UConn would have smashed Tennessee, Pat or no Pat.

Reaction Score
Based on his handle, I took it that he was referring to the Kentucky program. You are correct, Tennessee has never had a winning record against UConn.
my full name is very close to Kentucky, but that's besides the point. I bleed Husky blue for life as a grad in the early 90s.

I respect oldude's response. I just thought that a certain part of his comment was a bit condescending. I addressed it as best I could.

Again, respect to you oldude. And thanks for clearing things up about our record vs. TN...

I still stand by my word that Pat Summit was Geno before Geno was Geno...

It's all about respect coming from fans which is my bigger point I guess. I don't think any of us have even 5% the athleticism or ability of anybody who plays the game, yet we can say things and judge harshly at times. TN just hasn't won any National Championships in awhile, yet they still have a winning tradition in spite of that fact.

It can be easily arguee that they got things going a little quicker than we did for the sport (gotta put La Tech in that bucket as well)..

Imho, the success of Women's CBB kinda got started in TN and LA...

Thank God for us, Geno & Co has seemed to perfected it....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me, it seems that Tennessee has failed to evolve as WCBB has improved and more talent (players and coaching) has come into the game. I respect their tradition, but even towards the end of Pat's reign the cracks were starting to show. Rebounding wins championships (as Pat liked to say), but a few other things are necessary too. The question for the Lady Vols is whether they can move out of the shadow of Pat.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom