For those who want Edsall back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those who want Edsall back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsall's dream team was winning 7-3 today at halftime at home vs Townson State. This is one week after getting crushed at home by Temple, a Temple team that lost badly today to Toledo.

Edsall inherited a top flight QB that has next level potential. Coach P inherited a walk on QB that had not seen the field in 4 years when he was in high school. IMO we'd be 2-3 if Edsall were still here and we'd be watching the Michael Box show.

A year ago at this time we were in the same boat we are in now and that was with an NFL backfield.

Also a year ago right now many were convinced Calhoun couldn't recruit anymore. Point being things can change in a hurry.

McEntee has already convinced me he has a higher ceiling than Frazer.

Who said anyone wanted Edsall back? I think you might be confusing people who defend Edsall when other posters make ridiculous comments about him. And I have no doubt we would be 2-3 with Edsall still at the helm. Guy was about discipline which this team sorely lacks.

Reaction Score
But you prefer he never left. Fine I'll change my thread to say "to those who wish Edsall never left" so we can see Edsall not recruit Casey Cochrane and start Michael Box and play passive defense so we can occasionally luck into a BCS bowl when the conference is crap.

Just saw this. Yes, I wish Edsall never left. Don't think I am the only one.

Reaction Score
he's coaching esdall's recruits. i think this years bumps and bruises, will be a lot better team next year! experience and a good 2012 recruiting class, we'll be fine. and everyone will say HCPP IS GOOD COACH

Reaction Score
Just saw this. Yes, I wish Edsall never left. Don't think I am the only one.

Based on history Edsall would have about 7 -8 commits right now and we would at best be 3-2. I'll pass on that. Edsall will get fired before P.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was one of the Apologistas but I absolutely do not want Edsall back. I'm not sure how we would have done up to now if RE had remained but I believe that we could every bit as easily been sitting at 4-1 right now under RE as we could have with our current staff (pulling wins out of two of our three losses would not have teken that much).

I have a number of little gripes about what I have seen since the season has begun but my biggest gripe is that we've seemed to have pst a whole lot of discipline (most glaring recently was Sio's personal foul that kept a WMU drive alive late in the second quarter, leading to a field goal). I expected much more from the team in this area than I have seen and there really is no excuse for this.

Reaction Score
GRob won in South Bend.

And, I'm assuming you implied that P has not built up a piggy bank here at UConn. And that you didn't forget that he has more wins than any other coach in Big East history. And has been to multiple BCS bowls.

Yes, I mean here. He got the job because of what he accomplished at Syracuse. But to be successful at UConn he will need to achieve success at UConn.

Reaction Score
I pulled this from an article about yesterday's Maryland game. Townson outgained Maryland 378-335.

Maryland was out-gained by FCS Towson, 378-335. On offense, the Terps posed little downfield threat as sophomore quarterback Danny O’Brien (14 of 21, 123 yards) stuck with mostly short stuff. Rather than improving after impressive offensive games against Miami and West Virginia, the unit appears to be regressing.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/cheers-jeers/2011/10/game-balls-pickett-vellano-walker#ixzz1ZfWKlaRA

Reaction Score
I pulled this from an article about yesterday's Maryland game. Townson outgained Maryland 378-335.

Maryland was out-gained by FCS Towson, 378-335. On offense, the Terps posed little downfield threat as sophomore quarterback Danny O’Brien (14 of 21, 123 yards) stuck with mostly short stuff. Rather than improving after impressive offensive games against Miami and West Virginia, the unit appears to be regressing.

How bad did Towson beat them?

Reaction Score
I doubt that I will ever be accused of wanting Edsall back. That being said, I doubt Edsall goes 2-3 OOC.

On the bright side, JMac actually looks like he is improving.

Reaction Score
I doubt that I will ever be accused of wanting Edsall back. That being said, I doubt Edsall goes 2-3 OOC.

True, Edsall wouldn't have let Nick Williams in on the offense, we'd be 1 - 4 with a loss to Buffalo.

The way McEntee is improving it is not unrealistic that he will be one of the better QB's in the league in a year, Edsall would still have him running the scout team.

Reaction Score
I was one of the Apologistas but I absolutely do not want Edsall back. I'm not sure how we would have done up to now if RE had remained but I believe that we could every bit as easily been sitting at 4-1 right now under RE as we could have with our current staff (pulling wins out of two of our three losses would not have teken that much).

I have a number of little gripes about what I have seen since the season has begun but my biggest gripe is that we've seemed to have pst a whole lot of discipline (most glaring recently was Sio's personal foul that kept a WMU drive alive late in the second quarter, leading to a field goal). I expected much more from the team in this area than I have seen and there really is no excuse for this.

There is no excuse. And what I'm going to write isn't an excuse, it's an explanation.

These guys are being taught to play the game with reckless abandon on defense. They're being taught to attack.

On Saturday, was the first time, these guys on defense have been really frustrated. They were having trouble getting into their defensive formations and sets before the ball was getting snapped, and they were getting torched on pass plays over and over. There was one post pattern down in the student end, went for a TD, where we had two defenders basically pick each other off while the receiver stepped between them and went in untouched.

These guys for the first time, had that aggression and attitude failing to work, and they lashed out. You absolutely cannot do that. They know it, they knew it, they won't do it again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That being said, I doubt Edsall goes 2-3 OOC.

Based on what? The QB play would be even worse. And no Todman or Brown to cover his ass.

Reaction Score
Based on what? The QB play would be even worse. And no Todman or Brown to cover his ass.

You know that? Suddenly we assume we have the right QB on the field, and that another coach wouldn't have determined that?

The decision to pass on 3rd and long at Vandy was dumb. A decision by the coaches that we all saw cost us that game. I didn't blame the coaches one whit after the ISU game. I think it's fair to question if there wasn't something we could have done schematically against WMU, but none of us know that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You know that? Suddenly we assume we have the right QB on the field, and that another coach wouldn't have determined that?

The decision to pass on 3rd and long at Vandy was dumb. A decision by the coaches that we all saw cost us that game. I didn't blame the coaches one whit after the ISU game. I think it's fair to question if there wasn't something we could have done schematically against WMU, but none of us know that.

It's all pointless conjecture. I'm glad somebody gave Williams a shot at WR. I'm glad McEntee is playing better. I was pretty happy with the D before Saturday. Now we go on the road against the best team on our schedule. Even if they make some coaching adjustments and play at a level that might have netted a win vs. W Michigan, ISU or Vandy, that won't be enough next week.

Reaction Score
True, Edsall wouldn't have let Nick Williams in on the offense, we'd be 1 - 4 with a loss to Buffalo.

The way McEntee is improving it is not unrealistic that he will be one of the better QB's in the league in a year, Edsall would still have him running the scout team.

Lol. Touché

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

So the revised history is that FUCRE was strong at developing QB's now. Man, you are verging on self-parody, bl.

Reaction Score
So the revised history is that FUCRE was strong at developing QB's now. Man, you are verging on self-parody, bl.

It's logically and metaphysically impossible to revise a history that never happened. We don't know who Edsall would have played at QB this year. And, we don't know if he played someone else that they would or would not have been better. I'm not saying we would be better off. Just that you have no way of knowing that we would or wouldn't have.

And Edsall, overall, did not do as good a job at developing QBs as he needed to. But you know that and know that no one is arguing with you on that.

Reaction Score

In the court of public perception, play calls that don't work are always dumb, and play calls that work are always brilliant. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom