For those who say PSU isn't going anywhere... | The Boneyard

For those who say PSU isn't going anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
The sun will explode before penn st leaves the Big 10 for the ACC

Reaction Score
that writer poses the idea, he doesn't present evidence that it will happen. delaney will let in nd with their tv deal before he lets someone leave.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Did you miss the point in the article where the author said this was for fun and hypothetical? He's also a writer from Carolina who covers the ACC and has no association with PSU.

Reaction Score

I really don't think so. Penn State doesn't gain anything but money in the B10. The ACC will be able to negotiate a similar contract to what the B10 has plus it's own TV network. Penn State would be playing with the teams it wanted to years ago. Fact is, once Joe Pa goes away, who knows what Penn State football will be.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I really don't think so. Penn State doesn't gain anything but money in the B10. The ACC will be able to negotiate a similar contract to what the B10 has plus it's own TV network. Penn State would be playing with the teams it wanted to years ago. Fact is, once Joe Pa goes away, who knows what Penn State football will be.

Yes but they get a LOT of money, (along with the prestige factor), not just in athletics but academically too. It just makes no sense from their perspective to leave a stable and secure situation to roll the dice on POSSIBLY getting to the same level of athletic money just to play a few schools that are closer geographically.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
PSU isn't leaving the Big Ten for the ACC. Just isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Yes but they get a LOT of money, not just in athletics but academically too. It just makes no sense from their perspective to leave a stable and secure situation to roll the dice on POSSIBLY getting to the same level of athletic money just to play a few schools that are closer geographically.

ACC will be the most stable conference with the Pac-16 if the moves happen soon. Both will get mega contracts that will dwarf what the B10 gets now given the amount of content provided. ACC isn't that big of a move down academically.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If that were to happen, the Big Ten would immediately go from the most powerful conference in the country, to the 4th most powerful conference and lowest on the pecking order in the 4 mega conferences. The Big Ten has way too much money and power right now, there is no way they let this happen. But it sure is interesting to think about!

Reaction Score
I just think it's "possible." I'm not saying it's happening. But don't write it off completely.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I just think it's "possible." I'm not saying it's happening. But don't write it off completely.

Stranger things have happened for sure, and especially in this climate. But if you're going to worry about schools taking a potential ACC spot from us, this one is way down the list, and ND I have to believe is pretty close.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, the ACC in its history has had two pretty impressive coups. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to the ACC.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score

Well let me update my 'dream' scenario then:

Florida St leaves the ACC for the SEC. Then the ACC adds Notre Dame, Penn St, and UConn to get up to #16. I know that will never happen because if ND and PSU are coming to the ACC, there is no way FSU is leaving...but a man can dream, can't he? Imagine a Northern ACC division of UConn, BC, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Penn St, Pittsburgh, Maryland, and Virginia Tech. I think I would have a heart attack if that happened and wouldn't even live to see it!

Ok...back to reality!

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Just thinking about it and the business behind all of this. Given that NBC/Comcast is slowly getting completely locked out of the college football picture, I can see NBC actually increasing the ND contract in order to make sure they don't join the ACC (and thus ESPN).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes but they get a LOT of money, (along with the prestige factor), not just in athletics but academically too. It just makes no sense from their perspective to leave a stable and secure situation to roll the dice on POSSIBLY getting to the same level of athletic money just to play a few schools that are closer geographically.
This is what most folks can't wrap their head around. The Big Ten is about so much more than an athletic conference and derives so much more money from the academic side. Anyone living in PA knows that PSU is so much more a fit with the land grant universities of the rust belt than the private schools of the ACC. If one does't live there or in my case here one doesn't understand it. Penn State always was a Big Ten school in nature and since they joined that has only become confirmed. Ask locals in Central PA about the idea of PSU in the ACC they would laugh at it for all the right and the wrong reasons. Clearly, the author has had little experience with PSU on any practical level and is in no way a Penn State writer.

Btw, PSU is tied with Michigan for the most NCs by a Big Ten school with 42. It is unlikely the B10 will easily let that walk out the door.

Reaction Score
You know that actor from the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA commercial? He told me this has a .000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening.

Reaction Score
PSU would be fools to leave the financial security of the B10. Not a realistic possibility at all that they are budging.

Reaction Score
Wrap your head around the fact that other than the SEC, the B1G is pretty much the gold standard of conferences. A school would have to be bat crazy to leave either and join the ACC.

Reaction Score

what would be interesting would be if PennState left the Big10 to save a floundering Big East. The Big East might be desperate enough to throw the world at PennState to lure them over, and then PennState could become an elite football school again instead of taking turns with Wisconsin and Iowa being third fiddle in the Big Ten. then we could have the eastern conference that nobody could make happen in the 80s. obviously it won't happen, but as long as we're talking about what would be interesting.

Reaction Score
ACC will be the most stable conference with the Pac-16 if the moves happen soon. Both will get mega contracts that will dwarf what the B10 gets now given the amount of content provided. ACC isn't that big of a move down academically.
SEC is and for the forseeable future will remain the most stable conference.

Nobody is leaving the Big 10. Nobody is leaving the SEC either. The Pac 16 may be as stable, but the big 10 and sec can invite just about anyone they want (except ND under certain circumstances) and the answer is yes.

Reaction Score
Stop debating this topic, we cannot leave even if we wanted to. There is a loyalty clause in B10 contract that all members signed giving away all TV rights to the conference to 20 years weather we are in Big Ten on not. I think PAC12 has similar agreement. Only way to ensure stability.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Obviously this writer has not awoken from his slumber.

Reaction Score
PSU isn't leaving the Big Ten for the ACC. Just isn't happening.

I agree. Penn St. is not leaving the Big 10. It's far more likely that Notre Dame succumbs and moves to the Big 10 and brings UConn and Rutty along for the ride. Penn St. would not be upset with that I'm sure and it could help keep the ACC out of NYC. If Notre Dame is pissed at the ACC there is no telling what happens next. I doubt they will turn around and join the conference that really forced their hand though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom