For Those Grasping at Straws r.e. Recruiting... | The Boneyard

For Those Grasping at Straws r.e. Recruiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Anthony Grant (formerly of Alabama) became the first P5 HC of the season to be fired today. Looking at their recruiting class, this kid caught my eye: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187244/donta-hall

4 stars and 80th in the country according to ESPN. No other offers, but the early commit date tells me he probably didn't break out until at least the summer. Didn't Lubin spend some time in Alabama? Maybe there's a connection and he can put in a good word?

Reaction Score
I don't know who is considering us or who we have a chance with but the idea that we're going to trot the same squad out there that struggled to score 60 points against just decent teams is nuts. Adams in year one won't be better than Boat who was all conference, and Enoch is a project? Samuel, Nolan, Calhoun, and Brimah don't create offense and they're on the floor a lot. Critical recruiting time or we could be in the NIT next year too.

Reaction Score
The problem is do we really have room for a 4th/5th power forward. Already have Facey, Lubin, Enoch, and in some cases Nolan. That's a lot for one spot.

Reaction Score
The problem is do we really have room for a 4th/5th power forward. Already have Facey, Lubin, Enoch, and in some cases Nolan. That's a lot for one spot.
Jim Calhoun got better players and some on the team that weren't going to get PT were made aware.

Reaction Score
I just want someone who can rebound and not rely on guards.

Reaction Score
Anthony Grant (formerly of Alabama) became the first P5 HC of the season to be fired today. Looking at their recruiting class, this kid caught my eye: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187244/donta-hall

4 stars and 80th in the country according to ESPN. No other offers, but the early commit date tells me he probably didn't break out until at least the summer. Didn't Lubin spend some time in Alabama? Maybe there's a connection and he can put in a good word?

ll-640x393.jpg

Reaction Score
That would appear to be a lot of room. Don't know about Enoch, but the rest????

Reaction Score
I don't know who is considering us or who we have a chance with but the idea that we're going to trot the same squad out there that struggled to score 60 points against just decent teams is nuts. Adams in year one won't be better than Boat who was all conference, and Enoch is a project? Samuel, Nolan, Calhoun, and Brimah don't create offense and they're on the floor a lot. Critical recruiting time or we could be in the NIT next year too.

Brimah isn't really on the floor a lot. he spends more time riding the pine than Nolan. that was the biggest problem all year with us.

Reaction Score
He certainly wouldn't hurt.
I'd rather have Bruce Brown, Jones doesn't look like he can be depended on to handle the ball, while Brown seems to have good enough handle, and they are both very athletic

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Remember that guys make a huge a jump from Frosh to Soph. Hamilton will be far more consistent. Brimah didn't work out over the summer last year due to his surgery. He will this year. Seems like Purvis has finally gotten comfortable and next year he won't be injured.

It may the same guys but it won't be the same team.

Reaction Score
don't know how good he is, but unless its an impact big these ships need to be used on a PG/combo/scoring wing. We have 3 guys who provided no dimension on offense at those 3 spots, you can't go into another season heavily invested in guys who performed like they did. There's always the possibility of improvement but you gotta bring in more options at those spots.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We need players.
Instead of the 27th best player in the class, he'd prefer to see if Omar Calhoun and Terrence Samuel can learn to play again. Times running out on them, they either need to produce or move out of the way. This isn't daycare.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
don't know how good he is, but unless its an impact big these ships need to be used on a PG/combo/scoring wing. We have 3 guys who provided no dimension on offense at those 3 spots, you can't go into another season heavily invested in guys who performed like they did. There's always the possibility of improvement but you gotta bring in more options at those spots.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jalen-poyser

Can't believe I missed this guy when thinking about UNLV. He could definitely fit that need.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Instead of the 27th best player in the class, he'd prefer to see if Omar Calhoun and Terrence Samuel can learn to play again. Times running out on them, they either need to produce or move out of the way. This isn't daycare.

Them "moving out of the way" doesn't matter. We have an open scholarship that will become two once Amilo's isn't renewed. Having 11 scholarship-quality players when we are allowed 13 makes no sense. When we say that certain players have lower ceilings, have a low chance of improvement, and should be bench players instead of getting impact minutes, that doesn't work unless better talent is brought in via recruiting to fill the roster.

Best case scenario, if new guys are brought in and Calhoun/Samuel improve, we become a much better team. And if they don't improve, we had a sound contingency plan because we filled the roster with recruits who can produce.

Reaction Score
Obviously he would help, but we have wings that can score already with purvis and dham, just saying we need a ball handler or a big more

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Obviously he would help, but we have wings that can score already with purvis and dham, just saying we need a ball handler or a big more

Agreed, but if the ballhandler or the big don't come, then we need to fill that scholarship. I don't want scholarships banked when there is 4-star talent available and for the taking - recruiting with a less experienced head coach in this crap conference has shown how scarce that can be.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but if the ballhandler or the big don't come, then we need to fill that scholarship. I don't want scholarships banked when there is 4-star talent available and for the taking - recruiting with a less experienced head coach in this crap conference has shown how scarce that can be.
True, and Jones seems to be a dynamic player, but i think if he reclassifies and is available for '15, i would take Brown over him. People on the board are saying he is 6'5-6'6, and looks like he has better handles.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
True, and Jones seems to be a dynamic player, but i think if he reclassifies and is available for '15, i would take Brown over him. People on the board are saying he is 6'5-6'6, and looks like he has better handles.
Handles in high school are completely different than handles in college. This is why it is so hard and rare, to see a freshmen point guard be depended on. Melo Trimble and D'Angelo Russell's are very rare.

If we have an open scholarship, you take the best talent.

Reaction Score
http://verbalcommits.com/players/jalen-poyser

Can't believe I missed this guy when thinking about UNLV. He could definitely fit that need.
Looking forward to the grad transfer market shaking out now that the season is coming to a close. its usually heavy on wings and guards, I don't know much about Poyser but you're likely to get a high impact guy from someone who already has experience under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom