For those advocating the satff must go | The Boneyard

For those advocating the satff must go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From TOS ...

Interesting pickup by UConn of JUCO tight end Brannon Green who is a huge tight end from Kansas and was expected to stay in the Midwest. The fact the Huskies could lure him away from Kansas State speaks to the ability of the staff to recruit as well as the need at the position. He is expected to step in right away and contribute.

I am amused, and not shocked, at the outpouring of P must go comments from those who likely have no clue what is involved in coaching at this level, but the staff is apparently doing an excellent job in their first year of recruiting more weapons and making noises on the recruiting circuit. Recall Tom Lemming singled them out earlier this year.

Reaction Score
Per Scout UConn is now #53 in the recruiting rankings, ahead of at least 16 BCS teams including BCU, Maryland, 'Cuse, L'ville, USF, Ga Tech and Iowa. Traditionally UConn was always last in the BE and in the bottom 5 of all BCS schools.

Reaction Score
It's interesting. And you can't deny that the class looks improved on paper. I guess there really is a way to recruit more competitively at Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Regardless of our record so far this year, there is no denying recruiting has gone to another level with the new staff. Let's hope it will translate into improved performance on the field soon.

Reaction Score
He is recruiting his ass off compared to Randy. I am frustrated and I freak out when P makes some of his odd ball decisions, but he is first class on the podium and he is recruiting well. He deserves better from me and I admit it.

He can get the job done here if the whole staff can really tighten things up next year and eliminate the dumb mistakes on both the field and the sideline. Hopefully, Nebrich or Cochran can help him get there.

Reaction Score
He is recruiting his ass off compared to Randy. I am frustrated and I freak out when P makes some of his odd ball decisions, but he is first class on the podium and he is recruiting well. He deserves better from me and I admit it.

He can get the job done here if the whole staff can really tighten things up next year and eliminate the dumb mistakes on both the field and the sideline. Hopefully, Nebrich or Cochran can help him get there.
He is also recruiting a 5 star DE from Virginia. Miracles do happen.

Reaction Score
It's so silly that people are calling for Coach P to go. The cupboard was pretty bare this year and he was instituting a new staff and gameplan with a brand new quarterback and running back. He is recruiting wayyyy better than Edsall ever did and I now feel confident we will start getting most of the top in-state talent as well. We are in good hands.

Reaction Score
I actually disagree with the cupboard was bare remarks - I think we have a talented group. I just think it is silly to expect a new staff implement new schemes and be successful immediately. I truly believe the evolution of the program will continue along just fine, despite this bump in the road. Look at Cincy last year, look at WVU this year, look just about anywhere you intro a new staff.

Ok, cue up the guy who says well, John Doe won his first year at Nowhere State ....

Reaction Score
Yup I was probably a bit off with the cupboard being bare, my point is implementing a new system takes time especially with a new qb and running back.

Reaction Score
From TOS ...

Interesting pickup by UConn of JUCO tight end Brannon Green who is a huge tight end from Kansas and was expected to stay in the Midwest. The fact the Huskies could lure him away from Kansas State speaks to the ability of the staff to recruit as well as the need at the position. He is expected to step in right away and contribute.

I am amused, and not shocked, at the outpouring of P must go comments from those who likely have no clue what is involved in coaching at this level, but the staff is apparently doing an excellent job in their first year of recruiting more weapons and making noises on the recruiting circuit. Recall Tom Lemming singled them out earlier this year.

"Need at the position?" We return three seniors next year. And he's a JUCO. I hope he's a good player, but I don't get this one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni is HCRE 2.0 with better recruit and likely a larger percentage of misses on recruits. Deleone makes odd play calls but so did Edsall/Moorhead.

Reaction Score
i like Deleone's playcalling for the most part. i think he maintains a good pass-run mix to keep the defense off balance. the problem is it's always going to be tough to win when you're outgunned at QB every week. the cupboard was far from bare, but it was bone dry QBwise and it's tough to win games when that's the case. that we get the production we do from our offense is a minor miracle IMO. keep in mind too, although McCombs is good, and i think he'll be great, he's not quitet the running game we've had to fall back on the last 4 or so years. i'd say our QB play has improved over the season and that's all we can really ask for from the coaching staff

Reaction Score
i like Deleone's playcalling for the most part. i think he maintains a good pass-run mix to keep the defense off balance. the problem is it's always going to be tough to win when you're outgunned at QB every week. the cupboard was far from bare, but it was bone dry QBwise and it's tough to win games when that's the case. that we get the production we do from our offense is a minor miracle IMO. keep in mind too, although McCombs is good, and i think he'll be great, he's not quitet the running game we've had to fall back on the last 4 or so years. i'd say our QB play has improved over the season and that's all we can really ask for from the coaching staff

I agree on Deleone. I think it took him a couple games to figure out he was back in the college ranks and not in the pros, but I like his playcalling. Likes the inside trap, starting to incorporate a very nice toss sweep, and wants to get the tight ends involved. It's personnel, not coaching that has hurt the O. Specifically quarterback.

Reaction Score
This staff is also recruiting on the platform built from our first BCS appearance. Since no staff prior to now had such an opportunity how can anyone say this staff is clearly better?

Reaction Score
This staff is also recruiting on the platform built from our first BCS appearance. Since no staff prior to now had such an opportunity how can anyone say this staff is clearly better?

One could argue that our BCS appearance hurt as much as it helped. We still get killed in the national press daily for a) not deserving it b) playing terrible in it c) not traveling well to it and d) being the worst BCS team ever to play in it.

Reaction Score
It's so silly that people are calling for Coach P to go. The cupboard was pretty bare this year and he was instituting a new staff and gameplan with a brand new quarterback and running back. He is recruiting wayyyy better than Edsall ever did and I now feel confident we will start getting most of the top in-state talent as well. We are in good hands.

We were universally picked last in the Big East and everyone talked about how we lost so much on offense, and people still run around like chickens with their head cut off when these deficiencies show themselves all year.

Reaction Score
"Need at the position?" We return three seniors next year. And he's a JUCO. I hope he's a good player, but I don't get this one.

What about the year after next, when all of those seniors are gone? I'll be glad to have an experienced hand already on the roster.

Reaction Score
It's unusual to take JUCO and then not play him for a year. Normally, you recruit JUCO's to fill an immediate need. And this is a position where we don't have one.

I'm not attacking the staff for this. Maybe he's so good he'll play over Delahunt and Griffin. Maybe he's agreed to redshirt for a year and will have a chance to start for two. I just think it's odd to be taking JUCOs where there is not an immediate opening, and I certainly don't understand why anyone would post that we're filling a void when all three of our TEs who play still have eligibility. No more than that.

Reaction Score
BL,

I have to disagree. Our TEs are not a threat, beyond Griffin. Delahunt can block. Manning, not sure what he can do. When you run a 2 TE O, which is what this staff likes to do, you need 2 #1s, not 3 bodies. If you honestly say that DC's gameplan around our 3 TE's, then i will simply say we disagree. We need more playmakers across the board - if this kid is one (and none of us know), bring him in.

Reaction Score
we can use all the playmakers we can get, particularly on offense, regardless of position.

nobody will ever know if our bump in recruiting is due to the BCS bowl or a change in coaching staff. likely it's a combination of the two. can't we just be happy about that without bickering over the cause?

Reaction Score
we can use all the playmakers we can get, particularly on offense, regardless of position.

nobody will ever know if our bump in recruiting is due to the BCS bowl or a change in coaching staff. likely it's a combination of the two. can't we just be happy about that without bickering over the cause?

Right. When we are finally in a situation where we are like USC that has 1A starters sitting for 3 years I will chide them for bringing in too much talent. Until then...

Reaction Score
It's unusual to take JUCO and then not play him for a year. Normally, you recruit JUCO's to fill an immediate need. And this is a position where we don't have one.

I'm not attacking the staff for this. Maybe he's so good he'll play over Delahunt and Griffin. Maybe he's agreed to redshirt for a year and will have a chance to start for two. I just think it's odd to be taking JUCOs where there is not an immediate opening, and I certainly don't understand why anyone would post that we're filling a void when all three of our TEs who play still have eligibility. No more than that.
You also don't know if Delahunt or Manning are going to graduate and come back next year. I expect Griffin back, but the fact that the staff went after a JUCO may lead me to believe the staff may have an inkling on the others.

Reaction Score
You also don't know if Delahunt or Manning are going to graduate and come back next year. I expect Griffin back, but the fact that the staff went after a JUCO may lead me to believe the staff may have an inkling on the others.

I think it is a good move even if everyone stays. Right now, Delahunt and Griffin get all of the playing time. UCONN's base offense is a two tight end set. We need all the talented tight ends we can get. COming from JUCO, Green should be game ready,

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The coaching staff felt it was a need otherwise they wouldn't have offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom