For Those Advocating Diaco Through 2017 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For Those Advocating Diaco Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is futile exercise because attendance will come down if we get off to a good start and we are entertaining people will start coming back. We've lost this fight at the moment. Bad boring football is only tolerated for so long. Diaco was supposed to be the guy to fix that and he hasn't been. He gets one more year by default. No one can say a guy given 4 full years didn't get a real shot.

Reaction Score
It's not about high scoring at least in my mind. I'm fine with a a very good defense and very good offense. That will yield wins. Wins brings fans. Competitive games brings fans. Smash mouth football is exciting when it is truly a war of hard hitting dominance where players are let loose, blitzing, stunting, fullbacks are blowing up people, lineman are driving people into the ground, etc. That's not us. Trying to avoid losing by slow rolling, eating clock on offense and a bend defense, waiting for the other team to make more mistakes and stealing wins is us. It's horribly bad football.

I agree with many things you post, but please, please, please , stop with the "smash mouth" football concept. Today's college game is fast, exciting, passing dominant, high scoring. UConn is in the trouble it is in today, partially because it refused (going back to Edsall) to embrace the wide open attacking brand of football.

Reaction Score
I agree with many things you post, but please, please, please , stop with the "smash mouth" football concept. Today's college game is fast, exciting, passing dominant, high scoring. UConn is in the trouble it is in today, partially because it refused (going back to Edsall) to embrace the wide open attacking brand of football.

Baylor runs smashmouth football and they're exciting. They just do it out of many different looks.

Reaction Score
Baylor runs smashmouth football and they're exciting. They just do it out of many different looks.
Baylor? Smash mouth? That only applys to them when you examine their relationships with the Baylor co-eds.

Reaction Score
People in Florida have very strong opinions on attendance in East Hartford.

husky laughing.jpg

Reaction Score
Baylor? Smash mouth? That only applys to them when you examine their relationships with the Baylor co-eds.

Good, now I know not to listen to anything you post, ever. Baylor is a power run team out of the spread.

They've run for more yards than pass this season and have over 100 more carries than pass attempts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Those that were in the stands for the first quarter were absolutely giddy and we only put up 6 points.

A minor increase in competence will do wonders. The bad schedules will eventually erode the fan base. Houston went from looking at the Cotton bowl to a projection vs. Akron in Miami. League leading Navy doesn't fair much better. Having a limit on opportunities to play big games is what's killing the program. We were selling out in 05 and 06 and we were plenty terrible then.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that if you go back to 2002-4 we had a very wide open offense. We do again in 2009 especially. We had some very good runners but also through the football around quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Look at this attendance.

At what point can we no longer afford to keep him? I think we hit that point sometime early next season.

We could have a good QB, with more playmakers but he would still make terrible coaching decisions.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Benedict signed Diaco to an extension, as someone said here, 5 minutes after he (DB) got here. I doubt he does anything until and unless we fall flat out of the gate next year. HE'd be a laughingstock.
I was surprised we only had just shy of 13K season tix this year. Paying a seat license, paying to be shoehorned in blue lot by Gezpatcho LAZ, gets tiresome when the product on the field sux.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Benedict signed Diaco to an extension, as someone said here, 5 minutes after he (DB) got here. I doubt he does anything until and unless we fall flat out of the gate next year. HE'd be a laughingstock.
I was surprised we only had just shy of 13K season tix this year. Paying a seat license, paying to be shoehorned in blue lot by Gezpatcho LAZ, gets tiresome when the product on the field sux.

I think Pudge was talking about marginal season tickets (i.e. non-students and university use).

The students and school (player and coach comps) start them at like 8k or so.

Reaction Score
I think Pudge was talking about marginal season tickets (i.e. non-students and university use).

The students and school (player and coach comps) start them at like 8k or so.

Comps are another thing. HS football programs get free tickets - how many actually use them? I know our program doesn't...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Comps are another thing. HS football programs get free tickets - how many actually use them? I know our program doesn't...

The season comps are in the published season ticket and weekly attendance numbers.

I don't know how many groups they comp. I think the more comps you hand out you just devalue your own product so if they don't provide many that's fine with me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No one cares what Shane Stafford has to say.
A complete DB comment - at best
The guy was a decent player and dedicated player for UConn
BUT WHO CARES??????

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A complete DB comment - at best
The guy was a decent player and dedicated player for UConn
BUT WHO CARES??????

We should care about what any former player thinks about the current regime at UCONN. They're all potential ambassadors for the school and football program, and they're spread out all over the country.

Reaction Score

What do you think will happen if Diaco somehow loses all four of the remaining games? Fired by December or retained through next season until further notice?

Reaction Score
What do you think will happen if Diaco somehow loses all four of the remaining games? Fired by December or retained through next season until further notice?

We have Holy Cross, an AAC team or open date, Virginia, and an AAC game or open date next year to open the season. Anything less than 2-1 means he should be gone.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Attendance next year won't be as bad on paper. Mizzou and BC are in town. That will drive up the avg attendance figures.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He is gone. If they wait until 1/1 to save few bucks it doesn't really matter. It's as Jacobs said this is a mediocre team that under performed. I'm not saying they should have beaten USF or Houston or even Temple. But come on. Maine should have been blown out. Central Florida should have been a comfortable win. Virginia should not have been a nail biter. Turns out Cincy stinks this year. Tuberville bungled the quarterback situation in Pasqulonian fashion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At what point can we no longer afford to keep him? I think we hit that point sometime early next season.
Game 3 next season is the earliest date. A change in offensive philosphy and/or early wins will push that further out.

I want BD to succeed. I don't think that it will happen though.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Diaco is a tireless worker. It is my understanding that he even works on Sundays.
Apparently, he goes to a local high football field with his wife. She holds up a full length mirror and he practices running towards the mirror while clapping his hands to get the right look.
Sometimes he enters the field at different angles to see which angle is most effective.
I think he likes to run onto the field from the right side forty yard marker when addressing the offense and the left side marker when addressing the defense.

Reaction Score
Game 3 next season is the earliest date. A change in offensive philosphy and/or early wins will push that further out.

I want BD to succeed. I don't think that it will happen though.
I think that is true unless he end up 3-9 at which point he won't be back. That is what I was addressing. But another struggle against a 1aa team followed by losses isn't going to get it done.

Reaction Score
We should care about what any former player thinks about the current regime at UCONN. They're all potential ambassadors for the school and football program, and they're spread out all over the country.
That seems to have been a problem with this program since Edsall left... 0 ties to anybody. The only guy that links even the Yankee Conference together to the now is Andy Baylock. With the success we actually had over the last 15 years at least you'd think there'd be more ties to former players. Not just being allowed to visit the campus and practices, but some you'd think could be ambassadors of the program other than in the NFL or at other schools.
The reality is we do have a history of football at our school, yet we get caught up in the P5 garbage... And they (P5 powers that be) don't want us to be a part of it.
We took a corporate approach that forgot about the football side a little...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom