"For the Good of the Game" coming in 2015 (And you can help!) | The Boneyard

"For the Good of the Game" coming in 2015 (And you can help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey everyone,

I am very excited to announce that after the success of "Bird at the Buzzer" in 2011 (which you folks helped so much to make a success ... eternal thanks! ) the University of Nebraska Press has signed on to publish my second book, scheduled for January 2015 release, on the history of the UConn-Tennessee rivalry, called "For the Good of the Game."

I've already heard from several former UConn and Tennessee players, as well as coaches and media, so I am very excited about the project, as this is certainly a story worth telling. But I also want to include a tribute to the fans of both UConn and Tennessee who made the rivalry so great.

What I would like to do is to include anecdotes and memories that you, the fans, have of the rivalry. Maybe you met Pat Summitt at a book signing, or you planned your vacation around going to Knoxville for the games there and wearing the Blue and White in hostile territory. Maybe watching the game on TV turned you into a women's basketball fan.

I want to sprinkle those stories throughout the book. I will soon be creating an email address where people can send them, or you can send me private messages here, or even post them in this thread. I will certainly try to include as many as possible, and I will also be posting this message on the Tennessee site, to get their contributions as well.

Thanks again for supporting "Bird," and I look forward to reading your memories of UConn-Tennessee.

All the best,
Jeff Goldberg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK - but just want to be sure that you have the right slant before we endorse this project! Remember 'Evil Empire' was a valid description for everything that went on in TN, and Geno's in Philly makes the best cheesesteaks, and Uconn is truly a National Treasure. And while Uconn players are honest, 'apple pie and mom' type of Americans, you cannot believe a word said by anyone who has ever liked the color orange.
As long as you are clear on those facts and don't deviate into the 'there are two sides to every situation' mentality I am sure it will be a fine book, and good luck to you! :cool:
(Yes that was sarcasm! - Project sounds great, should be a good read!)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Jeff, your "Bird" book is a treasure and I am especially pleased to own a signed copy.

Please check your inbox here for one modest suggestion for your upcoming book.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Hey everyone,

I am very excited to announce that after the success of "Bird at the Buzzer" in 2011 (which you folks helped so much to make a success ... eternal thanks! ) the University of Nebraska Press has signed on to publish my second book, scheduled for January 2015 release, on the history of the UConn-Tennessee rivalry, called "For the Good of the Game."

I've already heard from several former UConn and Tennessee players, as well as coaches and media, so I am very excited about the project, as this is certainly a story worth telling. But I also want to include a tribute to the fans of both UConn and Tennessee who made the rivalry so great.

What I would like to do is to include anecdotes and memories that you, the fans, have of the rivalry. Maybe you met Pat Summitt at a book signing, or you planned your vacation around going to Knoxville for the games there and wearing the Blue and White in hostile territory. Maybe watching the game on TV turned you into a women's basketball fan.

I want to sprinkle those stories throughout the book. I will soon be creating an email address where people can send them, or you can send me private messages here, or even post them in this thread. I will certainly try to include as many as possible, and I will also be posting this message on the Tennessee site, to get their contributions as well.

Thanks again for supporting "Bird," and I look forward to reading your memories of UConn-Tennessee.

All the best,
Jeff Goldberg

Sounds like a great project, I look forward to it.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Best Quote of All Time

In her first big test after the letdown in St. Louis, Taurasi scored 32 against host Tennessee in front of the largest on-campus crowd in women's hoops history. The exclamation point came not with a three but a foul-drawing layup. Taurasi screamed, curled her left hand into a fist and threw it into the basket support. "I just wanted to hit something orange," she said afterward.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hey everyone,

All the best,
Jeff Goldberg

Jeff

Are you going to; for once and for all time, elucidate us on the exact reason for the termination?
Tough Challenge, but invaluable.

Reaction Score
Hello Jeff,
We thoroughly enjoyed reading Bird At The Buzzer: Uconn, Notre Dane and a Women's Basketball Classic and are very much looking forward to your new book. We will put on our thinking caps to come up with our favorite Uconn / Tennesse rivalry anecdotes.

Question: Since reading your book, we have been searching in vain for an online (ie. Youtube) video of the classic March 6, 2001 Uconn / Notre Dame game. Do you have any knowledge of where we might find it online? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide and congratulations on your new book deal!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Best Quote of All Time

In her first big test after the letdown in St. Louis, Taurasi scored 32 against host Tennessee in front of the largest on-campus crowd in women's hoops history. The exclamation point came not with a three but a foul-drawing layup. Taurasi screamed, curled her left hand into a fist and threw it into the basket support. "I just wanted to hit something orange," she said afterward.

During that game, the 20,000+ LadyVols fans treated Diana to some typical venomous hospitality by booing her every time she touched the ball. After the game, she was asked if all that booing bothered her. Her response (the ultimate smackdown):

"Booing? I thought they were mooing!"

Reaction Score
Kibitzer: Thanks for the note.

Msf: I had to look up 'elucidate.'

Cal: I've never seen it online, but ESPN Classic usually replays it in March. Check your local listings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom