For the better football minds than mine... | The Boneyard

For the better football minds than mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I have been wrestling with this, and want to see what y'all have to say.

If lightning struck and we needed to move Foley to OL coach, could they change the blocking scheme back to the power run from the zone block?

I know we have guys with power run experience in their heads. They have been here, but what is the likelihood that it could change mid-season?

Would it affect what we could deliver from the playbook?
What about the TE and backs, do they have to re-learn as well?

And if the 4-5 experienced line guys get it, what will be the expected learning curve for the two deep that need to rotate in?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not the most informed opinion in the world but probably too late.

Reaction Score
I have no idea but I would think you'd want to do it on a bye week so you can install it in one week and game plan for the opponent the next week.

In others words, our fate for 2013 was sealed once WM allowed P and his sidekick back into Burton last December.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Would love to see it happen but unlikely with Blue and Luther, those stubborn fools.
Asa band aid would like to see bigger backs get more rushes. Max or Hyp.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes. Power I is pretty basic so long as the line can get the leverage and timing right. Changing the pass protect and blitz assignments would take some time.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've been wrong about plenty with the current s in charge, and I'm probably wrong here, but : I don't know if zone blocking is inherently bad, and I don't know that our OL "can't" do it because it's not what they were recruited for. I'm 100% certain though that their teachers - P and GDL - can't teach for . We need different people teaching these kids - immediately. Whatever the scheme.

Reaction Score

If lightning struck and we needed to move Foley to OL coach, could they change the blocking scheme back to the power run from the zone block?

I know we have guys with power run experience in their heads. They have been here, but what is the likelihood that it could change mid-season?

And if the 4-5 experienced line guys get it, what will be the expected learning curve for the two deep that need to rotate in?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I would think it's more about timing and repetition. If, and the farther away from the MD game I get I'm thinking it won't happen after the Mich game...but if things change and Foley got put back to OL coach I would hope they practice it until they got it right just in time to beat Rutgers.

1-11 and beating Rutgers would go a long way in the off season.

0-4 says Foley is back or...or who the fr@@k knows....

Reaction Score
I've been wrong about plenty with the current s in charge, and I'm probably wrong here, but : I don't know if zone blocking is inherently bad, and I don't know that our OL "can't" do it because it's not what they were recruited for. I'm 100% certain though that their teachers - P and GDL - can't teach for . We need different people teaching these kids - immediately. Whatever the scheme.

I always wondered about the statement..."weren't recruited for zone blocking...." Outside of Florida, OH, CA, PA and Texas are there really high school programs that teach zone blocking? My guess is no...

Now if you are talking about certain qualities, i.e., quick feet, hands, size or whatever quality is needed for zone blocking, maybe...but even then...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In a perfect world you would like to have a lot more time for the offensive line to get coordinated in what each member's responsibilities will be in different situations. Knowing what I do of Foley, I believe that he can get the run blocking to a competent level in four to five weeks, pass blocking would take longer (and to be completely fair, it was never more than adequate when Foley was in charge anyway). Considering that GDL hasn't gotten a thing out of these kids in 1 1/2 years (he officially took charge of the OL before spring practice 2012), this would at least be something positive.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It strikes me as a stretch to say that these athletic kids couldn't learn a new scheme due to some arbitrary generalizations about what they were recruited for. They've developed and grown a ton since they were recruited, and I refuse to believe that the kids are idiots. P and GDL however...

Reaction Score
I have no idea but I would think you'd want to do it on a bye week so you can install it in one week and game plan for the opponent the next week .

Which means WM forces the moves the move after Buffalo game... bye week followed by USF @ home. :p

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I believe that it could be done relatively quickly and relatively effectively. I posted on this very subject in another thread yesterday. You have a line where Friend, Bullock, Greene, and Bennett all have 2 years of the Foley system under their belt. Cruz doesn't. He would be the wild card. Especially since that is the position that pulls in the running game. However, since Friend and Greene were starters two years ago, I'm pretty sure that Cruz or Samra could get the hang of it in a short amount of time.

Not only do I think that it could happen, I think it really needs to happen. It's no secret that McCombs rushed for over 1,200 two years ago and now struggles to get 50 per night...

Reaction Score
We aren't running a wide variety of running plays right now. Changing back to what we used to run would require putting the fullback on the field more. I think we could easily master 4 plays and run them right and left. This would then help the play action. One thing that may be a problem is an adequate tight end that can run block well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom