For parents of soccer club kids | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For parents of soccer club kids

Reaction Score

That's some crazy Connecticut stuff going on there. Wow.

Can't believe parents are like that.

I can only judge by the teams I know. Our DA beats a team with a winning record in ECNL regularly, so I guess I base it off that. When we travel to top tournaments, we compete well. The DA games are mostly close, with only occasional blowouts, but again, it might depend on the region.

DA is also in its early stages, and people say the boy's side was rough go at the start. But, what do I know? I am against the idea of no high school play.

It sounds to me like there is a lot of trash talk from both sides.

I was referencing earlier this from Albertson Fury FC: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9f89f3bda64404e1b565d3cdea7671a9&oe=5BDAB947

Reaction Score
@Chuck No hockey players, eh?

Not in my family. Hockey is still a niche in northern NJ. You either play at an intense level, or you don't play at all. My son's lacrosse team has 3 kids that lean towards hockey first. I find that their skills best translate to lacrosse then any of the other sports.

That's some crazy Connecticut stuff going on there. Wow.

Can't believe parents are like that.

I can only judge by the teams I know. Our DA beats a team with a winning record in ECNL regularly, so I guess I base it off that. When we travel to top tournaments, we compete well. The DA games are mostly close, with only occasional blowouts, but again, it might depend on the region.

DA is also in its early stages, and people say the boy's side was rough go at the start. But, what do I know? I am against the idea of no high school play.

It sounds to me like there is a lot of trash talk from both sides.

I was referencing earlier this from Albertson Fury FC: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9f89f3bda64404e1b565d3cdea7671a9&oe=5BDAB947

I don't know how parents keep up with this stuff. Do they? Are the parents pushing their clubs from league-to-league affiliation, or are the clubs making the choices and then selling the parents on why?
Gotta run now. I have to sit through SafeSport training, Sideline Sports Doc training and complete my background screening so I can renew my coach's card. I have no issue with the background search, and training would be fine if it wasn't 100% geared towards liability. Here's my concussion training: Do you think the kid may have a concussion based on the following five factors..... If your answer is yes, get them off the field and don't let them back in. You're not a doctor. I'd rather spend the money that's training me how to recognize a compound fracture into baseline concussion testing for all kids. I think I'm taking mine to a hospital for the testing this summer.

Reaction Score
I don't know how parents keep up with this stuff. Do they? Are the parents pushing their clubs from league-to-league affiliation, or are the clubs making the choices and then selling the parents on why?

It's the club that does it. With a push from US Soccer. Fear of getting left behind.

Reaction Score
Not in my family. Hockey is still a niche in northern NJ. You either play at an intense level, or you don't play at all. My son's lacrosse team has 3 kids that lean towards hockey first. I find that their skills best translate to lacrosse then any of the other sports.
Hockey, lax & soccer ... the closest put the thing in the net parallels, similar strategies, etc. Northern Jersey? Pretty sure my nephew spent far more time at the Ice House than on lax fields, but I'm absolutely confident my sibling was far happier with her lower lax costs and her son's lax scholarship than the ma$$ive hockey expenses, travel, and bat sh|t crazy early AM and late night ice times. Regardless, all kids' sports are cluster pharked today. Not envious!

Reaction Score
interesting, just found this:

Dropped from GDA: TOTAL 12
Northwest (2) - PSV Union, Burlingame
Southwest (1) - LAFC Slammers
Frontier (1) - FC Kansas City
Mid-America (3) - Eclipse, Michigan Hawks, Indiana Fire
Northeast (1) - FC Stars
Mid-Atlantic (2) - Sky Blue PDA, VDA
Southeast (2) - Concorde Fire, Orlando Pride

Added to GDA: TOTAL 8
Southwest (1) - Utah Royals
Frontier (2) - Oklahoma Energy, Sporting Omaha
Mid-America (2) - CSA Impact, Michigan Jaguars
Northeast (2) - FC Albertson, Seacoast
Mid-Atlantic (1) - Arlington

GDA Team Summary- Net Loss of 4 Clubs
2017/2018: 69 Clubs
Add: 8
Drop: 12
2018/2109: 65 Clubs

Reaction Score
interesting, just found this:

Dropped from GDA: TOTAL 12
Northwest (2) - PSV Union, Burlingame
Southwest (1) - LAFC Slammers
Frontier (1) - FC Kansas City
Mid-America (3) - Eclipse, Michigan Hawks, Indiana Fire
Northeast (1) - FC Stars
Mid-Atlantic (2) - Sky Blue PDA, VDA
Southeast (2) - Concorde Fire, Orlando Pride

Added to GDA: TOTAL 8
Southwest (1) - Utah Royals
Frontier (2) - Oklahoma Energy, Sporting Omaha
Mid-America (2) - CSA Impact, Michigan Jaguars
Northeast (2) - FC Albertson, Seacoast
Mid-Atlantic (1) - Arlington

GDA Team Summary- Net Loss of 4 Clubs
2017/2018: 69 Clubs
Add: 8
Drop: 12
2018/2109: 65 Clubs

Thanks for that.

Helps to see.

I would add a couple of things: the new National League might be of interest to this discussion because now clubs that go DA can keep kids who want to play school soccer, and play under the US Soccer umbrella. It may present more opportunities. After all, players can guest for DA up to 6 games a year AND play school soccer, so this means that kids on a National League Club team can augment those DA rosters while still playing school soccer.

The link you gave to grousing Connecticut parents was over the top for me. Pretty hasty. DA for girls just started. To say that certain clubs are horrible in WNY is to put too much weight on one class. Some of the clubs mentioned in that thread are shredding top ECNL clubs in other age groups... so I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

I will say instead that things are uneven as DA starts play for girls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That thread was crazy and another reason why we are . I hope the kids develop talent equal to their parent’s egos someday.

Reaction Score
That thread was crazy and another reason why we are . I hope the kids develop talent equal to their parent’s egos someday.

Imagine those kids when all grown up. After all, those parents are acting like that, and it's likely that they grew up in a totally different environment, town sports, ride your bike to the park/field, stay outside playing with your friends all day in summer, etc. I may be projecting here since I grew up in the 1979s and early 1980s, but I imagine things were the same for those 10 years younger than me with 12 year olds. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe if you grew up in the 80s and early 1990s and are about 40 now, your life was already highly scheduled and you played highly structured soccer.

Reaction Score
Imagine those kids when all grown up. After all, those parents are acting like that, and it's likely that they grew up in a totally different environment, town sports, ride your bike to the park/field, stay outside playing with your friends all day in summer, etc. I may be projecting here since I grew up in the 1979s and early 1980s, but I imagine things were the same for those 10 years younger than me with 12 year olds. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe if you grew up in the 80s and early 1990s and are about 40 now, your life was already highly scheduled and you played highly structured soccer.

We weren’t that highly scheduled in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

We went from a really primitive soccer system to one that has evolved into a system that is designed to separate parents from their money.

Reaction Score
Good luck to those with kids in Columbus Day tournaments this coming weekend! Our club switched from a two day tournament with two games Saturday and Sunday, to a tournament with four games in one day (40 minute games).

The big advantage of my local town club is we've gotten some very talented kids to play with us over some bigger academy teams. The disadvantage is that those kids are sometimes double carding or playing fall lacrosse or baseball/softball. So we never know who is going to come up with a lame excuse not to come to the Columbus Day tournament (or any other game). It's the only reason my son has told me he wants to try out for another team in the spring. He loves soccer and wants to be on a team of kids that love it.

Our girls team only carries 14. We have one injured and one just told us she's playing in a softball tournament. We explained that it makes sense to prioritize softball over soccer in spring, but we expect to be the priority in fall. But with only 14 players, it's not like we can ask them to leave. If any of you have a 2006 daughter that wants to play on Sunday in Orange County, NY, let me know! (only partially kidding).

Funny anecdote to end the post. We've talked about money spent on soccer. One thing I found interesting from the beginning is the purchase of the uniform. My kids get nice new uniforms every couple years. My son started playing for his middle school and the hand-me-down uniforms are brutal. Our town colors are red/black. The uniforms are salmon colored from years of washing. His has rips that are sewn like Frankenstein scars. He hates it and I just laugh.

Reaction Score
Good luck to those with kids in Columbus Day tournaments this coming weekend! Our club switched from a two day tournament with two games Saturday and Sunday, to a tournament with four games in one day (40 minute games).

The big advantage of my local town club is we've gotten some very talented kids to play with us over some bigger academy teams. The disadvantage is that those kids are sometimes double carding or playing fall lacrosse or baseball/softball. So we never know who is going to come up with a lame excuse not to come to the Columbus Day tournament (or any other game). It's the only reason my son has told me he wants to try out for another team in the spring. He loves soccer and wants to be on a team of kids that love it.

Our girls team only carries 14. We have one injured and one just told us she's playing in a softball tournament. We explained that it makes sense to prioritize softball over soccer in spring, but we expect to be the priority in fall. But with only 14 players, it's not like we can ask them to leave. If any of you have a 2006 daughter that wants to play on Sunday in Orange County, NY, let me know! (only partially kidding).

Funny anecdote to end the post. We've talked about money spent on soccer. One thing I found interesting from the beginning is the purchase of the uniform. My kids get nice new uniforms every couple years. My son started playing for his middle school and the hand-me-down uniforms are brutal. Our town colors are red/black. The uniforms are salmon colored from years of washing. His has rips that are sewn like Frankenstein scars. He hates it and I just laugh.

LOL on the uniforms. I appreciate our club trying to save us money by having the same uni for 2 years ($150 for 2 years ain't bad) as opposed to our last club ($300 every year). But--my kids grow to damn fast. We've yet to have a uni last for 2 years.

The more I see what's going on, I'm beginning to realize that there is cost savings only at the highest levels. DA pays for all transportation, lodging and food. I am paying more than DA (we turned down my daughter's invite to DA, because she was going to play a year up against rugged competition) now when you count travel/lodging/food. Those additional costs are killer.

Reaction Score
LOL on the uniforms. I appreciate our club trying to save us money by having the same uni for 2 years ($150 for 2 years ain't bad) as opposed to our last club ($300 every year). But--my kids grow to damn fast. We've yet to have a uni last for 2 years.

The more I see what's going on, I'm beginning to realize that there is cost savings only at the highest levels. DA pays for all transportation, lodging and food. I am paying more than DA (we turned down my daughter's invite to DA, because she was going to play a year up against rugged competition) now when you count travel/lodging/food. Those additional costs are killer.

We got 3 years out of our last Adidas kit. My son got all 3 years, my daughter couldn't hold out. Had to switch to a new model this year. At least Adidas guarantees 2 years. Nike won't guarantee anything.

The best part is the company messed up our red jerseys and gave my son a women's medium, and my daughter the men's medium. It doesn't say "men" or "women" on the label so my daughter was screaming at me at how big the jersey was. At least she could wear it, but we thought it was just a bigger cut then the black jersey. Then when my son tried his on right before his next game he lost it... tears and everything. The women's cut is a bit "hourglass," has extra short sleeves, and a deeper vneck. He did look a bit ridiculous (which is exaggerated by him being a 12 year old). If they could've worn the same damn number it would've been fine, but of course they aren't so now we're waiting on a fix from the company and they both wore last year's jersey this past weekend.

Reaction Score
We got 3 years out of our last Adidas kit. My son got all 3 years, my daughter couldn't hold out. Had to switch to a new model this year. At least Adidas guarantees 2 years. Nike won't guarantee anything.

The best part is the company messed up our red jerseys and gave my son a women's medium, and my daughter the men's medium. It doesn't say "men" or "women" on the label so my daughter was screaming at me at how big the jersey was. At least she could wear it, but we thought it was just a bigger cut then the black jersey. Then when my son tried his on right before his next game he lost it... tears and everything. The women's cut is a bit "hourglass," has extra short sleeves, and a deeper vneck. He did look a bit ridiculous (which is exaggerated by him being a 12 year old). If they could've worn the same damn number it would've been fine, but of course they aren't so now we're waiting on a fix from the company and they both wore last year's jersey this past weekend.

LOL--yes, Adidas women's cut is tailored.

3 years is fantastic, but then again, boys between 9-12 seem not to grow that much.

Reaction Score
my kid's premier team fell apart due to lack of numbers, so now we're just doing town this Fall. Starting very soon I'm going to start contacting area clubs to see if he can try-out to do Winter/Spring. The town uses Puma gear, it's absolute garbage. Sizes run insanely small, and clothing quality just isn't there.

Reaction Score
I became "that coach" yesterday. Not proud, but sounding it out here. I've explained our club / team in the past. U13 girls at an A flight regional league. We outpunch our weight class a bit because of a few really good players that focus on lacrosse. I'm the assistant coach, but the head coach missed our Sunday game so it was me and our trainer. We played a big Academy team that has an MLS affiliation, so I'm still not sure why they are in our league, but so be it. They're coach is a complete . During our first game last year the ref missed an obvious call and our coach yelled at the ref a bit. The coach yelled at our coach that "we're teaching our kids the right way to play, not trying to win a game." Meanwhile, he's all over the girls and ref himself.

This year, in our first game, one of our girls took out one of theirs near (outside) the box. It was shoulder to shoulder, but a foul. He's screaming at the ref (while our girl is crying) that she's a dirty player and should get a red card. He actually said, "I was a professional, I know a dirty play, and you need to make that call... I played for a living." We lost 2-1 after taking out our primary goalie who likes to play in the field. Aargh.

So I already hated this guy. Yesterday, we were dominating again, but it was 0-0 (we have scoring issues). He's yelling at his girls that they need to play with energy. He tells his girls on the bench that "when you are playing in a boring game like this that you don't care about, that's where you need to focus." A couple of our girls heard that. Clear dig on our team. So now I'm mad. Before the game, he didn't set up the goals (at their field), and he never gave the refs a second game ball. The ball goes out of bounds 40 yards and I'm telling my player not to go running for it. I ask the guy four times where the second game ball is, he refuses to look up. That's when I lost it a bit and went off on him about being his responsibility to prepare for the game and to get my player a damn ball (thankfully no actual cursing). He then runs over to my side with a ball and starts taunting me about wanting a ball. The game proceeded and we won 2-0. The other team's parents were yelling to the girls that they would "pay $50 for anyone that scores a goal!" After the game the guy refused to shake my hand in the line. Unbelievable.

So that was a long post, and I wish I hadn't yelled at the guy, but if anyone has a 2006 daughter in Northern NJ or Rockland NY, I'd be happy to share the club to stay away from. I believe some of their other coaches are solid.

Reaction Score
I became "that coach" yesterday. Not proud, but sounding it out here. I've explained our club / team in the past. U13 girls at an A flight regional league. We outpunch our weight class a bit because of a few really good players that focus on lacrosse. I'm the assistant coach, but the head coach missed our Sunday game so it was me and our trainer. We played a big Academy team that has an MLS affiliation, so I'm still not sure why they are in our league, but so be it. They're coach is a complete . During our first game last year the ref missed an obvious call and our coach yelled at the ref a bit. The coach yelled at our coach that "we're teaching our kids the right way to play, not trying to win a game." Meanwhile, he's all over the girls and ref himself.

This year, in our first game, one of our girls took out one of theirs near (outside) the box. It was shoulder to shoulder, but a foul. He's screaming at the ref (while our girl is crying) that she's a dirty player and should get a red card. He actually said, "I was a professional, I know a dirty play, and you need to make that call... I played for a living." We lost 2-1 after taking out our primary goalie who likes to play in the field. Aargh.

So I already hated this guy. Yesterday, we were dominating again, but it was 0-0 (we have scoring issues). He's yelling at his girls that they need to play with energy. He tells his girls on the bench that "when you are playing in a boring game like this that you don't care about, that's where you need to focus." A couple of our girls heard that. Clear dig on our team. So now I'm mad. Before the game, he didn't set up the goals (at their field), and he never gave the refs a second game ball. The ball goes out of bounds 40 yards and I'm telling my player not to go running for it. I ask the guy four times where the second game ball is, he refuses to look up. That's when I lost it a bit and went off on him about being his responsibility to prepare for the game and to get my player a damn ball (thankfully no actual cursing). He then runs over to my side with a ball and starts taunting me about wanting a ball. The game proceeded and we won 2-0. The other team's parents were yelling to the girls that they would "pay $50 for anyone that scores a goal!" After the game the guy refused to shake my hand in the line. Unbelievable.

So that was a long post, and I wish I hadn't yelled at the guy, but if anyone has a 2006 daughter in Northern NJ or Rockland NY, I'd be happy to share the club to stay away from. I believe some of their other coaches are solid.

Reminds me of the way this whole thing is structured--with B teams subsidizing the A teams, and the B (or C) team coach is then pressured to keep as many B (or C) parents as possible--by winning games. And the parents are the worst.

Reaction Score

#winning

Reaction Score

I only coach Rec in the same area and I get it. We all have our days.

Earlier in the season, I somehow managed to keep my mouth generally shut coaching a U12 team and followed protocol instead. One of my players took an inadvertent elbow to the side of the head and dropped like a rock into a fetal position holding his head. I yelled once that play had to be stopped (their team had a breakway as a result); but, the ref ignored me and one of the parent's from the other team yelled out that 'Neymar' needs to get up. The ball eventually went out and we got our player off. One of my assistant coaches and I did an on-field assessment on the sidelines on the player and then one of the other team's assistant coaches, who is a doc and must have saw what we were doing, did the same. All 3 of us agreed that our player was showing signs of a concussion. After the game, the other head coach came over and appologized. We both then talked to the Ref politely and were told that he did not see any impact to our player's head, assessed that the player was not injured, and would not take away advantage. I pointed our that the player was lying on the field in a clearly stressed postion indicating a possible head injury and that this was 12U soccer. The other team's coach pointed out that our player did not 'pass' the initial concussion assessment and that the league rule is that play is stopped immediately if a head injury is suspected. That caught the Ref off-guard. We did not say anymore and filed a report instead. The Ref has now been banned from coaching below U17 and will be required to re-take certain safety 'classes.'

Out of curiosity, what Club is that? I know most of them.

Did you see in the news that a soccer federation in South Carolian has banned parents from cheering (or jeering) at any game. They can only talk quietly among themselves. Crazy; but, I get it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I only coach Rec in the same area and I get it. We all have our days.

Earlier in the season, I somehow managed to keep my mouth generally shut coaching a U12 team and followed protocol instead. One of my players took an inadvertent elbow to the side of the head and dropped like a rock into a fetal position holding his head. I yelled once that play had to be stopped (their team had a breakway as a result); but, the ref ignored me and one of the parent's from the other team yelled out that 'Neymar' needs to get up. The ball eventually went out and we got our player off. One of my assistant coaches and I did an on-field assessment on the sidelines on the player and then one of the other team's assistant coaches, who is a doc and must have saw what we were doing, did the same. All 3 of us agreed that our player was showing signs of a concussion. After the game, the other head coach came over and appologized. We both then talked to the Ref politely and were told that he did not see any impact to our player's head, assessed that the player was not injured, and would not take away advantage. I pointed our that the player was lying on the field in a clearly stressed postion indicating a possible head injury and that this was 12U soccer. The other team's coach pointed out that our player did not 'pass' the initial concussion assessment and that the league rule is that play is stopped immediately if a head injury is suspected. That caught the Ref off-guard. We did not say anymore and filed a report instead. The Ref has now been banned from coaching below U17 and will be required to re-take certain safety 'classes.'

Out of curiosity, what Club is that? I know most of them.

Did you see int he news that a soccer federation in South Carolian has banned parents from cheering (or jeering) at any game. They can only talk quietly among themselves. Crazy; but, I get it.

Concussions in particular are my fear. I’m not sure how, but we haven’t had any concussions for my son’s or daughter’s teams. We suspected one at a tournament for my daughter’s team. After sitting our player out for 15 minutes she said she was fine. She seemed ok, but she took such a hard shot to the face that we just held her out to the team’s detriment. All of the parents were appreciative.

We now play against some kids that take dives. Only the boys. It’s frustrating because it should be taught out of the game and I know these kids are encouraged. But it’s always the grunt and grab a shin move, not faking a head injury.

Interestingly, I’ve found the parents have gotten better on the whole as the kids have gotten older. Sometimes you’ll have a parent that won’t shut up, but they’re usually ignored by even their team’s parents. And the refs are quick to toss anyone that crosses the line. When my kids were little, the parent coaches (like me) could be difficult, but the trainer coaches had a much better attitude. I changed my ways to emulate them. That’s changed over the past couple seasons. We are coaching against some obnoxious trainers. But I also believe some of the parents think a tough trainer that yells during the game and does some joystick coaching is a good thing.

I receive an apology from the opposing coach I referenced. The matter is over to me (but I still can’t say I like him).

Reaction Score
I yelled once that play had to be stopped (their team had a breakway as a result); but, the ref ignored me and one of the parent's from the other team yelled out that 'Neymar' needs to get up

Our parents have self-policed stuff like this in the past. Doesn't make for cozy feelings among the parents, but it sure works to stop the inappropriate comments. One time, our coach was upbraided by a parent after he lost his mind. A girl ran into our goalie when she had the ball secured, kneed her in the head, ball came loose, the other team scored. Our goalie was down and rolling around holding her head. When the coach protested to the referee, and the ref did nothing, the coach said, within everyone's earshot, "Next time slap her when she comes close to you!" The ref went ballistic and nearly threw him out of course but after the game, two parents confronted the coach, and at first he protested that, "I am trying to protect your kids..." but when the parents retorted with, "You are the coach--you are supposed to set the example out there," he relented and apologized.

Once heard some parents and kids making fun of a girl on our team wearing a headscarf. One of our parents would have none of it. The other parents on the opposing team were absolutely mortified.

Reaction Score
it's worse when it's your own team's parents. My kid is a keeper - he's pretty decent at it, but his team was weak and he'd get shelled virtually every game. One of the moms on our team was quite vocal about criticizing him loudly (she also criticized other kids too). I ended up just sitting away from the team's parents in general (I'm fine with that, I'm not a social butterfly that way) and I heard that she ended up getting in a huge row when one of our parents went after her verbally to shut up.

Edit: I should add that her kid was one of the strongest players on the team, I'd say arguably the best player - she'd complain that the rest of the team was dragging him down. She really should have just moved him to a different club.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If your kid isn’t going to be a Division 1 athlete then why bother taking it so seriously? Parents are losing their minds over this. If your kid spends more time playing Fortnight then he does playing with a ball by himself/herself in the backyard then your kid will never play college ball or pro ball.

In Kansas City soccer is political beyond all repair. I just heard Peter Vermes on Counterattack on Sirius XM the other day. He was saying that he was for MLS tossing out the territorial homegrown rights because the Talent Pool in KC and Missouri wasn’t deep enough to support Pro Academy. Sporting signs kids all over the country. They have two or three teenagers getting pro paycheck every month. If your kid isn’t in that class then STFU and sit down.

Reaction Score
If your kid isn’t going to be a Division 1 athlete then why bother taking it so seriously? Parents are losing their minds over this. If your kid spends more time playing Fortnight then he does playing with a ball by himself/herself in the backyard then your kid will never play college ball or pro ball.

In Kansas City soccer is political beyond all repair. I just heard Peter Vermes on Counterattack on Sirius XM the other day. He was saying that he was for MLS tossing out the territorial homegrown rights because the Talent Pool in KC and Missouri wasn’t deep enough to support Pro Academy. Sporting signs kids all over the country. They have two or three teenagers getting pro paycheck every month. If your kid isn’t in that class then and sit down.

Signing with a pro academy is one thing, D1 is quite another. I'd say most parents in the top clubs are lured by their track record of placing players on the top teams with scholarships (not all D1 but D2 as well). I'd say that is the lure. At least this is what parents are telling me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom