For Navy football, the cost of joining the AAC might only now becoming due | The Boneyard

For Navy football, the cost of joining the AAC might only now becoming due

Reaction Score
By John Feinstein
September 26 at 1:58 PM

Navy lost a heartbreaking game Saturday to SMU, 31-30 in overtime, when the Mustangs successfully went for a two-point conversion after scoring to make the score 30-29 in the first extra period.

But, as Coach Ken Niumatalolo pointed out afterward, the two-point conversion didn’t really decide the game: three turnovers by his team and a 50-yard touchdown pass called back by a chop block decided it. The case can also be made that quarterback Malcolm Perry having to come out with a concussion was the difference.

Regardless, the loss dropped the Midshipmen to 2-2 on the season and 1-1 in the American Athletic Conference. They have a much-needed bye this week and then play, in order: at Air Force, Temple, Houston, Notre Dame in San Diego, Cincinnati and at UCF.

That’s quite a gantlet; not a lock win in the bunch. This is the danger of giving up independence to join what has become a very solid conference. In 2014, Navy’s last season as an independent, the schedule included Texas State, Western Kentucky, VMI, San Jose State, Georgia Southern and South Alabama. The Mids went 5-1 in those games.

This year’s schedule includes Lehigh in the role of VMI. Tulsa’s not very good and Tulane’s a disappointment but neither game can be considered a lock. Life in a conference contains far less flexibility and very few breathers.

In January 2012, when Navy announced it would be joining the Big East to play football beginning in 2015, I wrote a column saying I thought the move was a mistake.

Among other things, I pointed out Army’s disastrous foray into Conference USA and that an independent schedule had been an important part of Navy’s success under Paul Johnson and Niumatalolo. I also made the rather simplistic point that I didn’t understand why Navy would mess with success. At that time, the Midshipmen had the Commander-in-Chiefs Trophy seven times in nine seasons, beaten Army 10 straight times and gone to a bowl game eight times in nine years.

Perspective | For Navy football, the cost of joining the AAC might only now becoming due

Reaction Score
Nice to see recognition that the AAC is a solid conference. I guess it’s a bad thing that they can’t schedule easier to make a bowl game.

Reaction Score
What a complainer, they played some big games in football these past years against Houston and Memphis. So this might be a .500 record year and this guy is ready go give up....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not sure why people are jumping on him for making an obvious point.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I like Feinstein but that's a dumb article. Nowhere does he discuss revenue. Somehow I seriously doubt that Navy was banking mega bucks for games vs. TX State, W. KY., S. Alabama, GA Southern and other less than stellar opponents. Although the AAC football payout is paltry, it may still be better than what Navy can get from scheduling a bunch of nobodies as an independent.

Also, Feinstein ought to know how to spell "gauntlet" correctly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like Feinstein but that's a dumb article. Nowhere does he discuss revenue. Somehow I seriously doubt that Navy was banking mega bucks for games vs. TX State, W. KY., S. Alabama, GA Southern and other less than stellar opponents. Although the AAC football payout is paltry, it may still be better than what Navy can get from scheduling a bunch of nobodies as an independent.

Also, Feinstein ought to know how to spell "gauntlet" correctly.

The revenue is essentially zero so it’s baked in.

Reaction Score
I'm glad the Naval Academy isn't full of cowards like this loser. His whole argument is that they should play weak opponents to pad their record. Where is the glory in that? Why not play an FCS schedule and win every game if that's the goal. BTW Army winning a couple has everything to do with Army finding a good coach who has cloned Navy's program but he conveniently doesn't mention that.

I'd be willing to bet interest in Navy football has gone up quite a bit since joining the American and that is the point. The football program is used to promote the military so young kids volunteer, it's not about padding a win loss record.

Army gave Oklahoma quite a battle last week, Feinstein would have had them playing Fordham.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You guys should watch college football games and things will start to make more sense to you.

Reaction Score
Maybe Feinstein is correct: gantlet vs gauntlet
Sometimes, when the masses use an incorrect but right sounding alternative, the usually strict grammar police simply let it go. Best example? “The team is chomping at the bit to play this Saturday.” The correct phrase is “champing at the bit” but few editors ever use (sic) after “chomping”.

Reaction Score
Navy's got bigger things to be concerned about than football. The draw of that university has nothing to do with football.

Reaction Score
Sometimes, when the masses use an incorrect but right sounding alternative, the usually strict grammar police simply let it go. Best example? “The team is chomping at the bit to play this Saturday.” The correct phrase is “champing at the bit” but few editors ever use (sic) after “chomping”.
You learn something new every day. Champing? Really??? ;)

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I guess the author wants Navy to go 10-2 against the Southwest North Dakota Tech's of this world.

Reaction Score
I'm glad the Naval Academy isn't full of cowards like this loser. His whole argument is that they should play weak opponents to pad their record. Where is the glory in that? Why not play an FCS schedule and win every game if that's the goal. BTW Army winning a couple has everything to do with Army finding a good coach who has cloned Navy's program but he conveniently doesn't mention that.

I'd be willing to bet interest in Navy football has gone up quite a bit since joining the American and that is the point. The football program is used to promote the military so young kids volunteer, it's not about padding a win loss record.

Army gave Oklahoma quite a battle last week, Feinstein would have had them playing Fordham.
This article makes a lot of sense unless you believe in participation trophies. Navy and Army too have very limited upsides. Tough to recruit consistently at the level of everyone else when what you have to sell is marching at 6 am, 5 years of active duty after you graduate and all the rest that goes with military life. Occasionally you land a stud or two, usually by accident. So they need to get great coaching and sort of s gimmick offense. Now if you think it’s fine to just field a team that’s fine but what Army found and Navy might well find Feinstein says is that playing at this level just going to be a struggle for more typical mMiddie teams. Every week you take on teams with superior talent. And how much benefit is it to Navy or anyone to have s team that goes 4-8 regularly?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom