for decades, I laughed off these games, I knew the light would go on soon enough | The Boneyard

for decades, I laughed off these games, I knew the light would go on soon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
will that continue to happen? I hope so

and if it does, if we become a consistently good and solid team down the stretch, next year I promise to become more patient again

at this point, I just don't seem to have the same confidence in KO that I had in JC. And when JC first started, winning was brand new to us so he could do no wrong. Kevin is obviously walking into very different expectations.

so here's to hoping we flip the switch sometime over the next 5 weeks, it's tradition

Reaction Score
All fair in what you say and think here willie. Think we're all pretty similar in thought.

Reaction Score
Last night was a train wreck in every way imaginable. A big part of the problem is this conference. For uconn to remain elite, they essentially have to go undefeated in conference play which is tough to do. Any loss is essentially a rpi killer. To compensate, they over extend out of conference. Because of the crap hand we were dealt, KO is forced to structure the season in a much different way. It's simply unsustainable. Either we get invited to the P5 quick or the Uconn most of us got spoiled with is in the rear view mirror.

On a side note, there is not another quality coach in America who would not foul in that situation. That is basketball 101 and who ever is at fault, the lack of communication or know how is very disturbing. There was also a sequence when we were tied at 51 with two timeouts and our team was standing around on offense confused, Gibbs just dribbling on top of the key not knowing what to get in to. Rather than call a timeout, Ollie just sat there and gave this dumb look after Gibbs heaved an ill advised, contested three with the shot clock expiring. It was one of many wtf moments last night. The next day I am still like wtf??????

Reaction Score
Last night was a train wreck in every way imaginable. A big part of the problem is this conference. For uconn to remain elite, they essentially have to go undefeated in conference play which is tough to do. Any loss is essentially a rpi killer. To compensate, they over extend out of conference. Because of the crap hand we were dealt, KO is forced to structure the season in a much different way. It's simply unsustainable. Either we get invited to the P5 quick or the Uconn most of us got spoiled with is in the rear view mirror.

On a side note, there is not another quality coach in America who would not foul in that situation. That is basketball 101 and who ever is at fault, the lack of communication or know how is very disturbing. There was also a sequence when we were tied at 51 with two timeouts and our team was standing around on offense confused, Gibbs just dribbling on top of the key not knowing what to get in to. Rather than call a timeout, Ollie just sat there and gave this dumb look after Gibbs heaved an ill advised, contested three with the shot clock expiring. It was one of many wtf moments last night. The next day I am still like wtf??????
Tell me, if his were the old Big East, how many wins do you think this squad would earn, based on what you've seen thus far? Let's say same OOC results, ugly win over Seton Hall, lose to St John's the way we just lost to Temple.

Reaction Score
Tell me, if his were the old Big East, how many wins do you think this squad would earn, based on what you've seen thus far? Let's say same OOC results, ugly win over Seton Hall, lose to St John's the way we just lost to Temple.
No idea, but I think in the new Big East they would post a very similar conference record. Difference is, they would be a lock for the tournament vs possibly being left out.

Reaction Score
No idea, but I think in the new Big East they would post a very similar conference record. Difference is, they would be a lock for the tournament vs possibly being left out.
And what makes you believe the team would magically do just as well in the best basketball conference as it is in CUSA?

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
And what makes you believe the team would magically do just as well in the best basketball conference as it is in CUSA?

We seem to play better against better teams.

Reaction Score
at this point, I just don't seem to have the same confidence in KO that I had in JC.
Anybody remember how miserable JC's '92-'93 team was? The one with three first-round picks (Donnyell, Burrell, Knight), two other guys who made the NBA (Ollie & Donny), and two other top-50 recruits (Fair & Rudy)?

That team was A) stacked - way more talented than this one, B) 7 years into Calhoun's tenure as UConn's coach, and C) 21 years into his tenure as a college head coach.

And they were awful. They took dumb shots, were soft on the boards, played bad defense, missed their free throws and basically quit right at the start of January when they won just four of 11 games against a bad Big East (easily the worst season in the conference's history). Then after a mini-run in February, they quit again in March when they lost their last five games of the season - including an embarrassing loss to Providence in the Big East tournament and the Lindsay Hunter Game in the NIT. They finished 15-13 and every game was torture.

Building a winning team is hard, even when you have a ton of talent and even when you've been building teams for decades.

Ollie's in his fourth year as a head coach. He doesn't have any McDonald's All-Americans, he might not have any future first-rounders on this team, and I sincerely doubt there are five future NBA players of any stripe on the roster. Subtract the best defensive player from the roster, and suddenly the margin for error gets very small.

I get that you're frustrated, and I am, too. But you're looking into the past with rose colored glasses if you think JC teams weren't capable of entire seasons worth of stinkbombs akin to the one we laid last night.

We're gonna be fine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anybody remember how miserable JC's '92-'93 team was? The one with three first-round picks (Donnyell, Burrell, Knight), two other guys who made the NBA (Ollie & Donny), and two other top-50 recruits (Fair & Rudy)?

That team was A) stacked - way more talented than this one, B) 7 years into Calhoun's tenure as UConn's coach, and C) 21 years into his tenure as a college head coach.

And they were awful. They took dumb shots, were soft on the boards, played bad defense, missed their free throws and basically quit right at the start of January when they won just four of 11 games against a bad Big East (easily the worst season in the conference's history). Then after a mini-run in February, they quit again in March when they lost their last five games of the season - including an embarrassing loss to Providence in the Big East tournament and the Lindsay Hunter Game in the NIT. They finished 15-13 and every game was torture.

Building a winning team is hard, even when you have a ton of talent and even when you've been building teams for decades.

Ollie's in his fourth year as a head coach. He doesn't have any McDonald's All-Americans, he might not have any future first-rounders on this team, and I sincerely doubt there are five future NBA players of any stripe on the roster. Subtract the best defensive player from the roster, and suddenly the margin for error gets very small.

I get that you're frustrated, and I am, too. But you're looking into the past with rose colored glasses if you think JC teams weren't capable of entire seasons worth of stinkbombs akin to the one we laid last night.

We're gonna be fine.

Great post.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Glad you said it Rock. Don't get me wrong, I like our guys. However, even last year if we were in the old Big East, nobody would be calculating on who they need to beat, how more wins, RPI, RIP, ASAP, ESP, etc. It would be over early. Again, I like our guys but many seemed to be beeching about this conference. Hey go undefeated and beech all you want, until then as it stands now, we have a better chance doing well where we are. I am sure I am going to get rocked on this one.

Reaction Score

We're gonna be fine.
I remember that season ugh!!! Brutal! Absolutely brutal!!! I still remember that loss to Providence. Cant remember the kids name but one their guards absolutely killed us! He hit like 13 of his 14 shots or something like that. Im not concerned about our program yet but if dont make the tourney then go on to struggle again next season ill be very concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom