For BB only fans... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For BB only fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Thanks. Good to know.

I have to say I'm curious why you wrote "(defense)" after cornerback and safety...
This thread is on the basketball board. Believe it or not, but some basketball fans really know little to nothing about football.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This thread is on the basketball board. Believe it or not, but some basketball fans really know little to nothing about football.

I hear you, but I don't think there's a single person on this board that doesn't also watch football at least casually. (I'm an NFL fan, myself.) On the women's board, sure.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a theory on the apparent disconnect between our perception of this recruiting class and the media's perception?

The rankings suggest "same old UConn" in terms of recruiting, but there's a lot more buzz among the fanbase. Why?

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a theory on the apparent disconnect between our perception of this recruiting class and the media's perception?

The rankings suggest "same old UConn" in terms of recruiting, but there's a lot more buzz among the fanbase. Why?

Because a bunch of these kids had P5 offers. This hasn't between the case recently.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

It'd be easier to count those who do not have a theory.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

The ratings guys are in business. They serve their customers. Every kid who might go to Alabama or TX or MI is going to be evaluated. And assumed to be good if offered. And great if committed :)

They don't evaluate players in NE nearly as closely. We have put many guys into the NFL who were not evaluated by the services coming out of HS. They got the mandatory 2 stars every BCS commit gets.

So, this year, the evaluations/stars look about the same. So why the excitement?

A couple reasons, first we are FANS and the highlight films are awesome!!! QB's make all the throws, RB's break all the tackles and the linemen pancake EVERY TIME!!!!

Second, we beat out more big name schools for guys than any other time. We've always beat of second tier P5 schools like SU or BCU but this time, we are beating out high level P5 schools.

Diaco is getting to the kids he wants - big, smart winners - and selling them on UConn and he is keeping them in the fold as other schools come calling.

Reaction Score
I think the buzz is because we tripled our win total from last year to this, Diaco is likable and energetic, and some of the recruits (on paper) are better than the ones we have gotten in the recent past. Not a group but some of the individual skill positions "seem" like they bring more the table. Time will tell obviously but that's the way I see it right now.

I went to the signing day event last night and seeing and hearing Diaco talk compared to Pasqualoni, well, I think you can imagine the difference.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

Hope springs eternal.

Plus, whatever this class ends up becoming, it can't be worse than what we've recently endured.

Reaction Score
Football and basketball scouting are very different. Someone mentioned on the football board the other day that the Denver Broncos are playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday with exactly one five star recruit on the roster - Peyton Manning. Ideally you want to land some of the great athletes that are highly regarded but it's also important to sign guys that fit your system and philosophy. Sounds like the guys on the football board are saying Diaco did that with this class. Hopefully they're right.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry for the dumb question, but is UConn ever going to have a decent QB? Is this Williams kid going to play QB?

I would argue we already do. Shirrieffs was a fairly competent game manager for a redshirt sophomore last year. He extended drives with his legs and for the most part avoided the catastrophic turnover which allowed our defense to keep us in games. His accuracy down field needs work, but his instincts are great and if he had a competent offensive line protecting him I think he would have been even better. Tough kid, natural leader. Has a stud WR in Thomas and a promising young weapon in Beals, and we can put newsome all over the field.

A step change growth in the O line could wake up the offensive big time next year.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I would argue we already do. Shirrieffs was a fairly competent game manager for a redshirt sophomore last year. He extended drives with his legs and for the most part avoided the catastrophic turnover which allowed our defense to keep us in games. His accuracy down field needs work, but his instincts are great and if he had a competent offensive line protecting him I think he would have been even better. Tough kid, natural leader. Has a stud WR in Thomas and a promising young weapon in Beals, and we can put newsome all over the field.

A step change growth in the O line could wake up the offensive big time next year.

We can win the conference with him at QB.

But we won't win the conference because he is at QB, if that makes sense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

The media thinks 2 and 3 stars define how good players are. The reality is, there are so many high school football prospects, playing against such different levels of competition throughout the country, that it is virtually impossible to scout and rank all these guys accurately. Unless you are looking at the Top 100 or so (guys going to Bama, OSU, UM, FSU, et al), football recruits are pretty hard to get a gauge on for the average person. And taken in totality across the country, for anybody.

In football, I think the thing to look at is how many of the guys you are recruiting actually commit. You get a feel for whether or not a school is appealing to the players they are targeting (I've no idea where UCONN stands here). Evaluating the prospects individually is a really tough exercise.

Last edited:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I love the NFL but just have never been very into the college game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We can win the conference with him at QB.

But we won't win the conference because he is at QB, if that makes sense.

Yeah, if you are talking about a true difference maker at QB, the words 'game manager' do not belong in the description.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
May God Bless Dooley...

"I have drunk every drop of 2016 Kool-Aid there is. If we don't challenge for the AAC championship this year, I will buy Rutgers basketball season tickets." - Dooley

intlzncster

Reaction Score
May God Bless Dooley...

"I have drunk every drop of 2016 Kool-Aid there is. If we don't challenge for the AAC championship this year, I will buy Rutgers basketball season tickets." - Dooley

That dude is funny. Everyone on this board (myself included) needs to take a crash course in fandom from Dooley.

I don't follow football, but even I know Dooley's first unto the breach.

Reaction Score
AAC sucks for bball. For football, it's actually OK.

You're delusional, it sucks I'm in the football business and trust me it sucks

I'll amend this it's not nearly as good as the P5 and anyone who thinks it is is delusional and doesn't really understand the game

I'm at a coaching conference now so I'm not going to do chapter and verse on the differences.

I hope the team gets better over time I think it will. Funny Diaco's sister used to work for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'll amend this it's not nearly as good as the P5 and anyone who thinks it is is delusional and doesn't really understand the game

I'm at a coaching conference now so I'm not going to do chapter and verse on the differences.

I hope the team gets better over time I think it will. Funny Diaco's sister used to work for me.

The top half of the league won games against upper echelon B1G teams, SEC teams, ACC teams, etc. Houston, Memphis, Temple, Navy, all went toe to toe with teams that finished in the upper half of their conferences. Florida State, Penn State, Ole Miss, Notre Dame. How else are you comparing them if not by their competition?

Reaction Score

You might be in the football business but your comment seems to be delusional. A look at the AAC results this past season contradict your comment.

Reaction Score

Such a strange post.

The post you replied to said the AAC was ok for football and your response is the poster is delusional.

He never said it was the SEC. It is an ok football conference.

Please tell us more as we want to learn more from your astute football mind. Since you're in the"football business" and really understand the game and know Diaco's sister we can learn so much from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom