For anybody who is trying to make good of our sitiation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For anybody who is trying to make good of our sitiation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whaler, you never just drop an argument when you are wrong. I have been crystal clear about my position here, and the evidence supports me 100%.

1) ESPN started a process that they knew would devastate the Big East and leave several of the programs in smoldering ruins. Is anyone debating this point?

2) ESPN got to choose which programs got saved and which ones got killed, and they chose TCU, WVU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers, and didn't choose USF, UConn and Cincinnati. Is anyone debating this point?

Why are you arguing? The fact that the process got out of control and overall, 14 of the 17 programs ended up in pretty good shape does not change the fact that ESPN started a process that was going to irrevocably damage several university athletic programs, and they had a pretty good idea going in which ones they were going to be. The only thing ESPN did not expect was that Fox would be so aggressive, grabbing Rutgers and Maryland (which caused Louisville to jump), and the C7.
This pretty much summarizes how this all went down. Conspiracy theory or not, we are the one school that has had both their basketball and football product take a serious hit due to conference realignment. Part of me feels UConn should be able to sue, but we saw how that worked out the first time.

Reaction Score
I typed that the landscape would change dramatically over the next 20 years (here) ... and got slammed.

But, look at the last 12 years of the Federal Presidential election as a guide (use Nate Silver) of dramatic demographic change in a major US function & you see some of the elements: you cannot take out Universities like University of Central Florida & University of South Florida (50,000 enrollment each); US - UConn (at a State Flagship which did not play competitive high football in 1998); Boise; the Nevada Universities; a growth spurt school like San Diego State (who is now clearly the best hoop Program in California); major market Texas schools ... and still keep the clubby Wake Forest's, Washington State's, Texas Tech's, etc. The money is skewing thought; (up to $40m per school is proposed for B1G versus low 7 digit for MWC) but, there are huge holes ... because ... there are outlets (Fox, CBS, NBC) that are willing to pay a good dollar.

This 4 team Playoff will inevitably 8 with 6 years. And that opens the exposure for far more opportunity beyond the top 4 conferences. SEC may win forever; but, a good 100 Universities will be moving forward.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I hope your right, the problem is there seems to be a closing of the ranks. You have administrators on record saying they don't want to share their money. This is ugly.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a four team playoff expand to eight, but the contract for four is locked in through, I think, 2025.

It'll take something like the Big Ten or Pac 12 failing to get a second team in for like five or six years in a row before there's even a hint of a chance at expanding it. They all like four because they all assume they'll each get two teams in it every year.

Obviously, they're wrong.

But egos win the day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, you never just drop an argument when you are wrong. I have been crystal clear about my position here, and the evidence supports me 100%.

1) ESPN started a process that they knew would devastate the Big East and leave several of the programs in smoldering ruins. Is anyone debating this point?

2) ESPN got to choose which programs got saved and which ones got killed, and they chose TCU, WVU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers, and didn't choose USF, UConn and Cincinnati. Is anyone debating this point?

Why are you arguing? The fact that the process got out of control and overall, 14 of the 17 programs ended up in pretty good shape does not change the fact that ESPN started a process that was going to irrevocably damage several university athletic programs, and they had a pretty good idea going in which ones they were going to be. The only thing ESPN did not expect was that Fox would be so aggressive, grabbing Rutgers and Maryland (which caused Louisville to jump), and the C7.

To #1 when did they start the process? With the addition of Syracuse and Pitt? Well since that was Syracuse and UConn prior to BC's input doesn't that mean BC is the murderer and not ESPN?

ESPN chose Rutgers? Not the Big 10? ESPN chose TCU and WVU not the Big 12? In the last round you think ESPN chose Louisville - not FSU? Really - you think they made those calls?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a four team playoff expand to eight, but the contract for four is locked in through, I think, 2025.

It'll take something like the Big Ten or Pac 12 failing to get a second team in for like five or six years in a row before there's even a hint of a chance at expanding it. They all like four because they all assume they'll each get two teams in it every year.

Obviously, they're wrong.

But egos win the day.

Virtually every contract is renegotiable. No way Delaney thinks B1G will be getting 2 teams in playoff in near future; but he knows SEC likely will, paving way for 2nd B1G school in big bowl games (think orange).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom