For anybody who is trying to make good of our sitiation | The Boneyard

For anybody who is trying to make good of our sitiation

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskieforlife

DO NOT READ IF YOU REALLY DON'T CARE FOR NEGITIVITY. Thank you.

I just want apologize in advance for all the negitivity these are just my thoughts.

Please and I mean this in the nicest way, but there is NOTHING good about UConn's current situation. I have seen people try to point out that the NBE is still a good basketball confrence. To anybody who thinks this..... No offence but i think this is almost dead wrong. These are the schools that people on this board have mentioned as our good compition.

1. Cincy- They are good but if this is our best compitetion thats a problem.

2. Memphis- Also decent but how is anybody going to take them seriously with their academics and there g-d awful football.

3. Temple- While they have good history, they have done nothing recently. A year ago we wouldent have givin them a second thought.

4. UConn- Now we are clearly the best best BB school left, that really does nothing for us unless us and Cincy can create a Dook, NC type of Rivalry( but that will never happen )

As for football... I don't think anybody on this board actually takes this FB confrence seriously. But if you do am not going to elaborate on why this is a horrible FB conference. I think we all know this. But if you want me to, just ask me to and I might think about it.

Now i hope people don't interpret this as a " This guy must really hate UConn thread " becuase I don't. I just want the best for the school, and I pray Herbst does not find this a suitable home ( which am convinced by now thats what she thinks ). Also dont interpret this as " This guy has no hope so neither should we " I am very hopefull and I do think by the end of 2013 we will be in the ACC, B1G, or MWC...... I know am going to get lots of negative responces ( which i understand ) unfortunately at this time we are in a very ty sittuation. and that's reality.:eek:

Reaction Score
You may be right. But like all you negative types you fail to grasp the reality of the situation and lack any substantial solutions
To my mind you guys want to lie down in a fetal position tears streaming from your eyes and wait for someone to save you from this unfairness.
With this attitude UConn will be a memory.
The only way to get into a better situation is by Marketing the Brand
Its time for my beloved Huskies to become aggresive.
If that means pumping up our conference so be it.
We have PR guys in our conference. Use them
Don't sing in the chorus for the ESPN's and CBS's of the world.
They tell you like school yard bullies how pathetic and you fall for it.

Provide an alternate voice.
If someboby wasn't afraid of this conference you explain to me why the media has gone above and beyond to see it doesn't get off the ground. The moves made to destroy this conference defy logic.
What the heck are they so afraid of?They are willing to spend millions for no apparent reason.
In closing
Have you guys forgot the Boneyard Mantra
We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor"
We aren't going to quit now.
We will shock the world again

H

Huskieforlife

You may be right. But like all you negative types you fail to grasp the reality of the situation and lack any substantial solutions
To my mind you guys want to lie down in a fetal position tears streaming from your eyes and wait for someone to save you from this unfairness.

If someboby wasn't afraid of this conference you explain to me why the media has gone above and beyond to see it doesn't get off the ground. The moves made to destroy this conference defy logic.
What the heck are they so afraid of?They are willing to spend millions for no apparent reason.
In closing
our solution wa taken by UL

Reaction Score
I think deep down we all know this, but are looking for the Silver Linings. They may be there, they may not. Realistically accepting where we are for what we all hope is a very short period of time is the safest mind set. We will be called up eventually though whether its a good ACC bad ACC or B1G who knows. But there is no way the B1G goes up for bid with only 14 teams and that is good for us.

H

Huskieforlife

I think deep down we all know this, but are looking for the Silver Linings. They may be there, they may not. Realistically accepting where we are for what we all hope is a very short period of time is the safest mind set. We will be called up eventually though whether its a good ACC bad ACC or B1G who knows. But there is no way the B1G goes up for bid with only 14 teams and that is good for us.
i know #B1Gharder is in my sig. but there are no indications the B1G has any intrest in us

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

In closing

Nobody was afraid of the conference. Anyone with the ability to think for 10 seconds would come to the conclusion that it wasn't ESPN pulling the strings because clearly things got more expensive for them.

It is frightening what I read here. That people are so clueless and can avoid reality is scary.

Reaction Score
Nobody was afraid of the conference. Anyone with the ability to think for 10 seconds would come to the conclusion that it wasn't ESPN pulling the strings because clearly things got more expensive for them.

It is frightening what I read here. That people are so clueless and can avoid reality is scary.
What is your reality? What is your corse of action?
Please give us a clue oh wise and learned one.

I hear empty words mouthed from a media puppet.
Try actually thinking for once instead of name calling

Why did the basketball schools leave? Money beyond their worth.
O no its because they have been so successfull.
You think so
Who got envoled with CBS on the Boise renogotions?

What are your resonabale explainations.?I can hardly wait.

Companies will always invest money now if the return is there.
Millions now billions later
It seems pretty simple to me that if you can crush a potential competitor now
Its going to be a boon in the future.
The Big East is colateral damage in a huge sports media war.
Why because we have no contract and may be perceived a a somewhat maketable commodity now with a possiblilty of growth. The drumbeat for our destruction has been nostop. Why dump on a non enity?

Please give me your enlightened opinions for this irrational behavior.
My guess is you have none

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is your reality? What is your corse of action?
Please give us a clue oh wise and learned one.

I hear empty words mouthed from a media puppet.
Try actually thinking for once instead of name calling

Why did the basketball schools leave? Money beyond their worth.
O no its because they have been so successfull.
You think so
Who got envoled with CBS on the Boise renogotions?

What are your resonabale explainations.?I can hardly wait.

Companies will always invest money now if the return is there.
Millions now billions later
It seems pretty simple to me that if you can crush a potential competitor now
Its going to be a boon in the future.
The Big East is colateral damage in a huge sports media war.
Why because we have no contract and may be perceived a a somewhat maketable commodity now with a possiblilty of growth. The drumbeat for our destruction has been nostop. Why dump on a non enity?

Please give me your enlightened opinions for this irrational behavior.
My guess is you have none

Well first of all I can put together coherent sentences so you are at a disadvantage. I can spell words like collateral, course, entity and marketable so I hope you can keep up.

ESPN is the most valuable television property in the history of the medium. One can assume that means the people that run the network are quite savvy. Conference realignment has cost them a few hundred million dollars a year.

So... What can you take from that? Maybe, and I know this is crazy - ESPN isn't calling all the shots. They are spending more for less - that alone might lead you to believe they don't call all the shots. Just think about it for 15 seconds.

Reaction Score
Well first of all I can put together coherent sentences so you are at a disadvantage. I can spell words like collateral, course, entity and marketable so I hope you can keep up.

ESPN is the most valuable television property in the history of the medium. One can assume that means the people that run the network are quite savvy. Conference realignment has cost them a few hundred million dollars a year.

So... What can you take from that? Maybe, and I know this is crazy - ESPN isn't calling all the shots. They are spending more for less - that alone might lead you to believe they don't call all the shots. Just think about it for 15 seconds.
You can write and spell (I really need spellcheck) but apparently can't think of a reply to my questions.

That puts me at a real advantage.
Why don't you just admit you haven't a clue what your school should do?
Your last statement about ESPN actually proved my point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can write and spell (I really need spellcheck) but apparently can't think of a reply to my questions.

That puts me at a real advantage.
Why don't you just admit you haven't a clue what your school should do?
Your last statement about ESPN actually proved my point.

I'm sorry I haven't seen your thesis on the solution.

There is not much they can do.

1. Fire P
2. Open up the vault for a splashy hire
3. Start over on ticket pricing and put a full court press on to sell out the Rent on a season ticket basis for 2013 immediately.
4. Get a plan published on stadium expansion ASAP
5. Install a gag order on the president with respect to public statements on athletics

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I look forward to the point at which you give up on UConn completely, jump on a bandwagon (surprised you aren't an Alabama fan for football and Duke fan for basketball), and stop posting here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I look forward to the point at which you give up on UConn completely, jump on a bandwagon (surprised you aren't an Alabama fan for football and Duke fan for basketball), and stop posting here.

Listen just because you are a conspiracy theorist who borders most days on pure delusion, does not mean I can't be a UConn fan and be realistic about what happened.

I'm sorry that it upsets you when people throw cold water on your crazy talk. I'm not sure the connection between being able to identify reality and being someone who would jump on a bandwagon - but I'm sure it makes sense somehow to you.

Reaction Score
Why - because you're comfortable wallowing in this continuous swirl of negative events - do some of you think you possess moral and/or intellectual superiority?

We are where we are. A basically 14 year Program. And I will guarantee you things will be far different in 20years.

I guess you all take shots because you have been poorly equipped with small manhood.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why - because you're comfortable wallowing in this continuous swirl of negative events - do some of you think you possess moral and/or intellectual superiority?

We are where we are. A basically 14 year Program. And I will guarantee you things will be far different in 20years.

I guess you all take shots because you have been poorly equipped with small manhood.

Going out on a ledge saying things will be different in 20 years. Impressive.

Infantile penis jokes do lend a little evidence that there might be some intellectual superiority.

There are some posters here who are totally completely and utterly wrong across the board. Pointing this out is not wallowing in negativity, it's merely pointing out they are wrong. That they can do it so blindly and arrogantly is a nice bonus.

Reaction Score

whaler you are actually touching on some truths here that is a point I have been making. I believe espn is calling the shots. Absolutely. Yes it has cost them millions. And yes they are In a buisiness to make a profit. They are like the drug dealer that gets us addicted. Now guess what they own most of college football. No cable system can say no to there demands. No school can say no to there demands. They have actually put themselves at a prime negotiating position. Us the viewer will ultimately pay for all this realignment money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

True, but different for the good? The future is now and we don't have a good one. I wonder what kind of football will be around in 20 years. Boxing used to be the biggest sport.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Listen just because you are a conspiracy theorist who borders most days on pure delusion, does not mean I can't be a UConn fan and be realistic about what happened.

I'm sorry that it upsets you when people throw cold water on your crazy talk. I'm not sure the connection between being able to identify reality and being someone who would jump on a bandwagon - but I'm sure it makes sense somehow to you.

It takes a special kind of stupid arrogance to think you are the only one who realizes how much trouble UConn is in. We all get it. What we don't understand is why you keep telling us the same thing over and over when everyone already knows it. Pretty much anyone on this board could write out your next 5 posts in this thread.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As for being a conspiracy theorist, multiple data points on the same trend line shows causation. UConn did not get to where it is by accident, and ESPN was responsible. Despite better ratings, a better market and a better program, programs like Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville were saved before UConn, and ESPN could have gotten us in the queue at any point but chose not to. Those 3 schools also did not give ESPN over $100MM in tax breaks.

Connecticut paid ESPN $100 million to save Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. That is not a conspiracy, that is a fact.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

1. Fire P
3. Start over on ticket pricing and put a full court press on to sell out the Rent on a season ticket basis for 2013 immediately.
5. Install a gag order on the president with respect to public statements on athletics
Well Whale typically, I read your posts (and I do read them, despite their negativity) and I think man this guy should quit breaking the prozacs in half, but this post is focused and specific, and not just a generic woe is me.

So who is your splashy hire? That's easier to say than to achieve given our current circumstances. I'm not sure we could draw big time established coaches here right now. I wish we had done that after FUCHCRE but things are tough right now. I think we are now in the position where we need to find the up and coming coach and ride his success until he gets a better offer. That's a step back but that's where we are.

I like number 3, and I think the same should be done at the XL and Gampel as well. There was a time when men's and women's basketball was a hot ticket. That enthusiasm was lost due to poor pricing and a preference for a big check over longstanding fans. That was a huge mistake and a new pricing policy could go a long way toward rebuilding the base. I've noticed that UConn seems to have ramped up the marketing a bit with three game plans and better ads. I think that is step in the right direction. I'd like to see us put students opposite the camera around the lower portion of the court. That does cost us revenue in the near term but it enhances the brand in long run. I wonder if we should include a partial ticket offset as a part of the tuition like other schools do. We certainly should make it as easy as possible to get to the XL and the Rent by providing busses. I believe this is happening for football, although I am not sure how well utilized they are. I'm not sure that it happens for basketball.

I'm not sure about the stadium expansion plan. I get the point behind it but I worry about putting it out there when we will have 20k (or perhaps less) at a lot of games next year. Maybe hold this back until we get a new coach and use it to pump up excitement.

Herbst bothers me less than some. I do agree that her "We're winners who like winning" and her "intriguingly unique" (or was it "uniquely intriguing") statements were underwhelming.

I'll add a number 6 that we need to aggressively market the university both in its academics and in its athletics consistently and at a high quality. I sense at step in the right direction, but it needs to ramped up and the quality needs to be improved.

Regarding ESPN, given that there was a public statement by someone who was in the trenches that ESPN was pulling the strings of that particular round (and additional discussion after the original raid) I think it is a tough stance to suggest that they are passive bystanders in CR. While it may not have gone exactly the way they wanted they were the catalyst. Without their ponying up money to the ACC for raid pt1 and pt2, there is a good chance that things are not as volatile right now, and a good chance that the Big East is still a viable major conference. I do believe that UConn got caught in the crossfire of ESPN's effort to make sure that NBC couldn't get a foothold in the cable college sports market. Do they hate UConn, probably not. Do they give a rat's patootie whether they've damaged our college sports, probably not. Should the State ever give them taxpayer money again, probably not.

Reaction Score

1. Fire P
Those all sound like a great place to start.

Reaction Score
So who is your splashy hire? That's easier to say than to achieve given our current circumstances. I'm not sure we could draw big time established coaches here right now. I wish we had done that after FUCHCRE but things are tough right now. I think we are now in the position where we need to find the up and coming coach and ride his success until he gets a better offer. That's a step back but that's where we are.

I used to think this until Cinci hired Tuberville. Personally I'm not a big fan of Tuberville, and wouldn't particularly want him coaching here, but he has a name and he was hired away from a "Top 5 conference" school. It shows that there's more to it than conference, and if we show a real commitment to football, through a paycheck and through plans for stadium renovation/expansion, we can attract a splashy hire as well. Usually I'd prefer a relatively local 1AA HC, or a young up and comer, but in the position we're in right now we might be better off going for a name. It'll show recruits and conferences that we intend to stay competitive regardless of conference.

Reaction Score
Here's the situation as I see it. This is absolutely a horrible position to be in, but we haven't done much to improve our position, either. Whatever changes need to be made on the football side of things need to be made fairly quickly. Next season, unless UConn wins 8 games, there needs to be a new head coach. 6-6 won't cut it. 7-5 won't cut it. 8 plus wins is the minimum. And then we need to find a can't miss guy. Maybe its a Tuberville type, maybe its a well known highly respected coordinator and maybe its a MAC/Sunbelt guy, but it cannot be a mistake. We're not an awful team that will take 4-5 years to rebuild as Syracuse was when Marrone was hired. This should be a team which can compete relatively quickly with the right guy in charge.

We had an opportunity to do the same on the basketball side and went with the sentimental, and in the long run cheaper and probaly ineffective, choice. that cannot happen with the football program. It is possible to create a powerful program in a weak conference. Louisville did it in 2002-3. Boise has done it. TCU did it. Those need to be our models going forward. I'd like to see UConn-Cincinatti become the de facto Big East championship game every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom