For all the pre season accolades for the OL.... | The Boneyard

For all the pre season accolades for the OL....

Reaction Score
The interior has played well, the tackles are killing us.

The OTs get beaten on the first move frequently killing play after play. We need to play with a TE on one side and the RB back chipping on the other side. Or letting the competition for playing time heat up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The interior has played well, the tackles are killing us.

The OTs get beaten on the first move frequently killing play after play. We need to play with a TE on one side and the RB back chipping on the other side. Or letting the competition for playing time heat up.

I've never been a huge fan of Lundt. He is capable on power runs to his side but leaves a lot to he desired in space and in pass protection.

Reaction Score
The good news we were told is there was never a fight in camp. Now they can hold and hug each other while they work through their self esteem issues. Flush 80% of the squad and bring in some animals that want to deal some violence on the field. These are a bunch of pampered, soft a- that need a reality check. There are high school kids that get after it better.

Reaction Score
One thing I’d like to see is some rotation of OL into the game. The fact that there doesn’t seem to be any leads me to believe we aren’t as deep as we thought.

Reaction Score
One thing I’d like to see is some rotation of OL into the game. The fact that there doesn’t seem to be any leads me to believe we aren’t as deep as we thought.
What position exactly?? Our OL can’t do nothing when a team stacks the box

Reaction Score
What position exactly?? Our OL can’t do nothing when a team stacks the box
My comment is only that I’m surprised they aren’t rotating guys in more. Murowaki for one, but I heard in camp the others also looked good. No offense to the starting 5.

Reaction Score
My comment is only that I’m surprised they aren’t rotating guys in more. Murowaki for one, but I heard in camp the others also looked good. No offense to the starting 5.
It has nothing to do with depth during a game. Oline is about cohesion and working together. Rotating guys in a game screws that up.

Reaction Score
We are not Alabama. We can't recruit much superior OL that we will dominate the trenches. We need to do that every other school that's not in the P4 and go out and recruit speedy guys since there are many more of those around.

Our bubble screen gains about 2 yards a play most of the time. Our run plays get stuffed regularly now. We don't throw to our TEs. Our QB can't make good decisions under pressure. It is crazy we can't move the ball against crappy defenses when Rhode Island can. Please don't duck*"king tell me Rhode Island has better talent than we do.

Reaction Score
I am not sure it is all on the OL. I don't care who you are, it is difficult to run when defenses are stacking the box and safeties are creeping up as the ball is snapped. There is just nowhere to run. The passing game has done nothing to keep the defenses honest.

Reaction Score
We are not Alabama. We can't recruit much superior OL that we will dominate the trenches. We need to do that every other school that's not in the P4 and go out and recruit speedy guys since there are many more of those around.

Our bubble screen gains about 2 yards a play most of the time. Our run plays get stuffed regularly now. We don't throw to our TEs. Our QB can't make good decisions under pressure. It is crazy we can't move the ball against crappy defenses when Rhode Island can. Please don't duck*"king tell me Rhode Island has better talent than we do.
We literally dominated this game in the trenches only a year ago. I am still at a loss for what happened since then.

Reaction Score
We literally dominated this game in the trenches only a year ago. I am still at a loss for what happened since then.
They made an adjustment. We didn't. Or perhaps, we couldn't.

On defense, we made an adjustment in the second half. And we stoned them. I don't know why we couldn't have done something on offense.

Reaction Score
If you look at PFF grades, and they are unbiased, the OL this year is similar to the OL last year. The problem is not the OL.

Grades 2022:
Haynes: Run blocking 84.6, Pass blocking 91.0
Ofori-Nyadu: Run blocking. 84.7, Pass blocking 84.2
Lundt: Run blocking. 56.9, Pass blocking 64.6
Senn: Run blocking. 70.6, Pass blocking 78.0
Guidone: Run blocking. 70.9, Pass blocking 63.5

Grades 2023:
Haynes: Run blocking 83.0, Pass blocking 84.4
Ofori-Nyadu: Run blocking. 75.3, Pass blocking 71.3
Lundt: Run blocking. 76.0, Pass blocking 66.1
Senn: Run blocking. 60.9, Pass blocking 85.2
Walker: Run blocking. 64.3, Pass blocking 71.6

I found these other UConn running stats very interesting. We are running directly up the middle more than we did last year. This year, 39% of our runs are up the middle vs. 28% last year. And, we are not running over the guards or tackles this year vs last year, 20% this year and 31% last year. Look at Victor Rosa. Last year, 53.3% of his runs were either up the middle or around the ends. This year, it's 70.4%. Is the issue the cuts or the plays?

Reaction Score
PFF is an opinion-based grading system. Its always been the criticism of the service.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you look at PFF grades, and they are unbiased, the OL this year is similar to the OL last year. The problem is not the OL.

Grades 2022:
Haynes: Run blocking 84.6, Pass blocking 91.0
Ofori-Nyadu: Run blocking. 84.7, Pass blocking 84.2
Lundt: Run blocking. 56.9, Pass blocking 64.6
Senn: Run blocking. 70.6, Pass blocking 78.0
Guidone: Run blocking. 70.9, Pass blocking 63.5

Grades 2023:
Haynes: Run blocking 83.0, Pass blocking 84.4
Ofori-Nyadu: Run blocking. 75.3, Pass blocking 71.3
Lundt: Run blocking. 76.0, Pass blocking 66.1
Senn: Run blocking. 60.9, Pass blocking 85.2
Walker: Run blocking. 64.3, Pass blocking 71.6

I found these other UConn running stats very interesting. We are running directly up the middle more than we did last year. This year, 39% of our runs are up the middle vs. 28% last year. And, we are not running over the guards or tackles this year vs last year, 20% this year and 31% last year. Look at Victor Rosa. Last year, 53.3% of his runs were either up the middle or around the ends. This year, it's 70.4%. Is the issue the cuts or the plays?

There are some significant decreases in those numbers.

Reaction Score
There are some significant decreases in those numbers.
The average is comparable:

2022: Run Blocking: 73.5, Pass Blocking: 76.3
2023: Run Blocking 71.9, Pass Blocking 75.7

If you want to see significant decreases, look at UConn's LBs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom