For all the flaws of this past years' team... | The Boneyard

For all the flaws of this past years' team...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
WE made it to ANOTHER consecutive final 4, and a VERY young team that when healthy started 2 freshmen, 3 juniors, and had (reliably) 1 freshman and 2 sophomores off the bench. On top of that, the team had to endure losing 2 starters during the course of the season. Name another top team who had to endure that. We lost Anna early, then we lost Nika late.

ON PAPER, hardly anyone (if anyone) had more talent than UCONN, but our talent was really young... and then really injured. We literally had no seniors, and partly as a result, played 2 stinkers last season - one against Arkansas, where the team learned a lot, especially Paige and Christyn, and one against Arizona, as a more experienced team out-quicked, out-hustled, and out-played us. And I really don't think Nika (or Anna) was close to 100% for that Arizona game.

Geno laughs when asked about the expectations - he almost always says "Some people just don't get it - it's really really hard to win a NC", and let's be honest... No team in the history of WCBB has accomplished as much as UCONN historically, this year notching their 13th consecutive final 4. He has also said you need to be really good, and have some really good luck. Well last season, UCONN had some really bad luck. Yet still, we made it to the final 4.

As I've read thru the various threads and the criticisms of one player or another, who can or can't make layups, who can/can't shoot reliably, who plays good or lazy defense, who has or doesn't have "toughness", AND for all the disappointment I felt at not making it to the NC game, there are literally 347 other teams who would LOVE to have had our "problems".

I'm just so grateful for the players who have chosen the hard path of coming to UCONN. So many incredibly talented players who could have gone anywhere else, and been one of THE stars (if not THE star) on a different team, yet they chose team, family environment, and the hard work that comes with going to UCONN over an easier path.

Geno's recruiting has been otherworldly the past 5 recruiting cycles. He's changed with the times, and while not a "hip young" coach like Barnes or Staley, has certainly proven that not only can an old dog learn new tricks, but he can still to it better than pretty much everyone else.

Reaction Score
WE made it to ANOTHER consecutive final 4, and a VERY young team that when healthy started 2 freshmen, 3 juniors, and had (reliably) 1 freshman and 2 sophomores off the bench. On top of that, the team had to endure losing 2 starters during the course of the season. Name another top team who had to endure that. We lost Anna early, then we lost Nika late.

ON PAPER, hardly anyone (if anyone) had more talent than UCONN, but our talent was really young... and then really injured. We literally had no seniors, and partly as a result, played 2 stinkers last season - one against Arkansas, where the team learned a lot, especially Paige and Christyn, and one against Arizona, as a more experienced team out-quicked, out-hustled, and out-played us. And I really don't think Nika (or Anna) was close to 100% for that Arizona game.

Geno laughs when asked about the expectations - he almost always says "Some people just don't get it - it's really really hard to win a NC", and let's be honest... No team in the history of WCBB has accomplished as much as UCONN historically, this year notching their 13th consecutive final 4. He has also said you need to be really good, and have some really good luck. Well last season, UCONN had some really bad luck. Yet still, we made it to the final 4.

As I've read thru the various threads and the criticisms of one player or another, who can or can't make layups, who can/can't shoot reliably, who plays good or lazy defense, who has or doesn't have "toughness", AND for all the disappointment I felt at not making it to the NC game, there are literally 347 other teams who would LOVE to have had our "problems".

I'm just so grateful for the players who have chosen the hard path of coming to UCONN. So many incredibly talented players who could have gone anywhere else, and been one of THE stars (if not THE star) on a different team, yet they chose team, family environment, and the hard work that comes with going to UCONN over an easier path.

Geno's recruiting has been otherworldly the past 5 recruiting cycles. He's changed with the times, and while not a "hip young" coach like Barnes or Staley, has certainly proven that not only can an old dog learn new tricks, but he can still to it better than pretty much everyone else.

They don’t want to hear this. 12 straight final 4s isn’t good enough.

Reaction Score
EricLA-Thanks so much for posting this thread!
I Concur! This is a very special team and I have to say I’m looking forward to seeing them all play in-person! 7 months and counting down!! Hope the time goes fast......

Reaction Score
The one thing I liked that Geno said in the post-game press conference was "I plan to be back here next year." There was no hesitation, ifs, ands, buts, or maybes. He said it like it was as obvious and predictable as the sun rising in the east. Geno knows what kind of talent he will have at his disposal next season and beyond.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - nice post and great summary of the season. It was a season to celebrate even if not all our fan hopes were realized.

I would say, other teams struggled through a very tough season as well, including Stanford and their two month road trip, Baylor and NCSt losing players to injury during the tournament, and innumerable schedule snafus. No other season had teams counting games and praying they could reach the magic number of 13 as the minimum required for NCAA consideration. And lets not forget the cancelled seasons - the whole Ivy League and various individual teams that withdrew.

A lot to celebrate in a very difficult year for everyone.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Eric...your post is right on the money...We had a team populated by 7 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 3 Juniors... The leader in scoring and assists was a freshman. Given the unpredictability of underclassmen no one could have expected them to go to the final four. They deserved to be there by virtue of their win over Baylor who many expected to knock the Huskies out in the elite 8. We have a lot to be thankful for with the group we have and what we have coming in next season. Having everyone come back except Mukurat is a blessing and I am looking forward to watching next year's version of the Huskies in person. It will be a long 8 months but it is going to be worth it.

Reaction Score

Thank you for this piece. It says it all and well. And, for me, it is a fitting platform on which to say " farewell until we meet again." The Women's basketball season is over. The awards have been put on the shelves. It is time ( pardon me for saying this ) to "turn the Paige," and wait until the freshman arrive and practice recommences. We can do it all again next year. Stay well and healthy. It is baseball season.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Neither is 13 straight ;)
Isn't something missing from your post? I can’t quite place what it is ...

1617906717477.png

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Nice summary, no question, we are lucky and should be thiankful for what this team acheived. A final 4 is an amazing accoplshment. I did wonder if they would cut down the nets this year to celebrate being back in especially with such a young team - didn't hear anything about that.

Not only the final 4 but the potential of the freshmen, PB turning out to be better than advertised was exciting to watch! Think of what migh had happened if we wren't physically and emotionally spent after the Baylor game!

Oh, and we had a weakness this year - outside shooting. Geno knew it and went out and addressed it for next year. Yes we are a very lucky fan base

Reaction Score
The one thing I liked that Geno said in the post-game press conference was "I plan to be back here next year." There was no hesitation, ifs, ands, buts, or maybes. He said it like it was as obvious and predictable as the sun rising in the east. Geno knows what kind of talent he will have at his disposal next season and beyond.
There is no bigger Geno fanboi than me! Geno is a country mile better than any other coach in the women's game.
One of his traits that I appreciate most is that he is brutally honest about his team. He is the true barometer for their prospects. When he said he will be coaching in the FF next year, however wasn't sure what the team would look like meaning that the Makarat transfer wasn't a shock also not knowing if Evina would be back. Now that the dust has cleared he has a loaded team, depth, size, experience, shooters, defenders. He has 3 potential AA in Paige, Christyn, and Aaliyah. Geno knows what he has so when he says he will be coaching in the FF next year, you'd be a fool not to believe him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It means she uses her savvy personality to connect with kids on their level, especially on social media. She is a master of this, IMO.
Dawn Staley has cachet she has been uber successful in the women's game. She certainly can relate to certain kids and get them to play for her. She only goes after certain kids, she knows there are players that she is not going to get.

Reaction Score
I agree. But you want to do know what? I stood on the lawn outside of the CT Capital after a victory parade when Geno guaranteed another NC. Bad mojo. Let's feed the mojo. WE'RE DOOMED!.

Reaction Score
Thank you for this piece. It says it all and well. And, for me, it is a fitting platform on which to say " farewell until we meet again." The Women's basketball season is over. The awards have been put on the shelves. It is time ( pardon me for saying this ) to "turn the Paige," and wait until the freshman arrive and practice recommences. We can do it all again next year. Stay well and healthy. It is baseball season.
The awards have been put on the shelves
Uh, what shelves? Last time I looked over Geno's shoulder, there was almost too little room for him. If Coach is really as optimistic about the future as some think (count me in), it's time to build more shelves. You could lose a recruit among the awards . . .

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Excellent summary.

I really didn't know what to expect for this season. Young team, lots of potential and covid. No fans in the seats. But what a ride this season turned out to be. Paige is the real deal. Unbelievable talent with a great and humble personality. She made every game exciting. Nika became the energizer bunny pushing the ball up the court and picking the pockets of opposing guards. Aaliyah becomes the beast under the boards. Christyn got it. So happy for her. Olivia found her place and her job. Surprising me the most was her ability to pass off the high post. And the biggest question mark turned out to be my fav - Evina. Defense, rebounds, scoring, blocking shots and running the point and her wonderful smile.

We fell short but I'm still a happy fan. This year was exciting, especially with the close games of Tennessee, South Carolina and Baylor. The team's growth and the individual player's growth was a joy to watch.

As to the negative posts from some of our couch coaches, I ignore them.

Can't wait until next year. Another outstanding class coming in. We have a great coaching staff. The Beast of the Beast is alive and well.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
It means she uses her savvy personality to connect with kids on their level, especially on social media. She is a master of this, IMO.
o boy ... guess i'm not as witty as i thought

or .... i should just not bother

sorry i wasted your time, ucbart

Reaction Score
EricLA-You Are Loved!
I really look forward to your posts and oldude too! Keep being positive, b/c it’s so important in life.
I’m really almost there to getting season tickets again after 3 years......anyone else season ticket holders?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As always, @EricLA aced it. THANK YOU!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom