Football Meltdown... | The Boneyard

Football Meltdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
We're never gonna get out of the JV league... Beat, nay whipped, by a team which had lost 5 games in a row...

LINK

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We're never gonna get out of the JV league... Beat, nay whipped, by a team which had lost 5 games in a row...

LINK

You are correct sir!!!! I watched the game yesterday on ESPN. They were embarrassing. Since the basketball programs are unfortunately tied to the fortunes of the football team, it appears that UConn will be mired in the throngs of the AAC for years to come.

If UConn wants to improve their lot, and make serious inroads in leaving the AAC, they should take a very serious look at hiring Charlie Strong (Texas) next season. He'll be available and looking for a job. He'll bring a different/winning culture (and players) to UConn that will turn the program's fortune around. Strong would be to UConn what Steve Spurrier (the old ball coach) was to South Carolina. Spurrier took SC from a doormat bottom feeder, to a top 5 program. He'll also put butts in the seats because everyone likes a winner.

Right now, this regime is stuck in neutral, and not going anywhere. Not only is this team NOT winning games it needs to win, their not even winning games the should win. Until this situation is corrected, UConn is not going to be attractive to any of the P5 conferences. Thus we're stuck in the AAC for the foreseeable future. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Charlie Strong would be a very good choice. BUT there is no chance he would be interested in the UConn job. To begin, he will still have two years left on his Texas contract that will pay him over $10 million - so he can afford to wait for a good opportunity. Unfortunately the UConn job is not at all desirable.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Everyone thought Diaco was THE answer. He came from a storied ND program, was young, and energetic. But his 3rd year in with most of his own recruits, he's mired in a dismal season. Whether they fire him or not, the football program is looking at a sustained run of less-than-mediocre performances and results. If football is the main requirement for getting into a new conference, we are in bad shape...

Reaction Score
I don't understand why we have to depend on football to get us into another conference. Ditch football and just have basketball go into a P5 school on there own merit!!

Reaction Score
You have to sell tickets and have people watch the games, not necessarily be a great team. Diaco hasn't made them competitive and is again turning off a once hopeful fan base.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You are correct sir!!!! I watched the game yesterday on ESPN. They were embarrassing. Since the basketball programs are unfortunately tied to the fortunes of the football team, it appears that UConn will be mired in the throngs of the AAC for years to come.

If UConn wants to improve their lot, and make serious inroads in leaving the AAC, they should take a very serious look at hiring Charlie Strong (Texas) next season. He'll be available and looking for a job. He'll bring a different/winning culture (and players) to UConn that will turn the program's fortune around. Strong would be to UConn what Steve Spurrier (the old ball coach) was to South Carolina. Spurrier took SC from a doormat bottom feeder, to a top 5 program. He'll also put butts in the seats because everyone likes a winner.

Right now, this regime is stuck in neutral, and not going anywhere. Not only is this team NOT winning games it needs to win, their not even winning games the should win. Until this situation is corrected, UConn is not going to be attractive to any of the P5 conferences. Thus we're stuck in the AAC for the foreseeable future. :confused:

Glad to see ECU and their new coach (ex-Duke great Scottie Montgomery) get a much overdue victory. It was the first home game after Hurricane Matthew hit ( previous game with Navy was postponed due to all the flooding problems in the region) and that butt kicking delivered was probably well received by the fans. No reason for Strong to look at UCONN as a destination. There will be much better jobs opening up in the South in the next few years... that is if he doesnt remain at Texas.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don't understand why we have to depend on football to get us into another conference. Ditch football and just have basketball go into a P5 school on there own merit!!

What P5 conference is going to take a school without football?

What if you brought back Randy Edsall?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
awwww isnt this sweet, a Dukie and a Cockie uniting in the meltdown of UConn football... on a UConn Womens Basketball Forum

this is the GREATEST sports forum in the world

Reaction Score
As a fan of Uconn football, I was very disappointed by the last performance of the team. Sorry to say, Uconn is not attracting the quality players necessary to have a quality team . The coaching staff also seems to be deficient in training, preparing, & motivating the players . 'Forget' about being invited into another conference. Big money payed out, shows very little results !

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
awwww isnt this sweet, a Dukie and a Cockie uniting in the meltdown of UConn football... on a UConn Womens Basketball Forum

this is the GREATEST sports forum in the world

Well, both Gamecocks and Blue Devils know how you feel. We've both had many a poor season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As a fan of Uconn football, I was very disappointed by the last performance of the team. Sorry to say, Uconn is not attracting the quality players necessary to have a quality team . The coaching staff also seems to be deficient in training, preparing, & motivating the players . 'Forget' about being invited into another conference. Big money payed out, shows very little results !
That is the universal difficulty - the players. I don't watch enough of UConn's games to have any idea bout the coaching, because you can very easily make misleading assumptions. Arizona is having a ghastly year and it looks like the coaching staff out here is deficient in everything you say - but of course, we were in the Fiesta Bowl in December 2014 and actually have a top 10 recruiting class on tap for next season under the same head coach (RichRod).

Getting the players is what is difficult. Our O-line (and D-line for all I know) are woefully undersized both here and at Rutgers. The top tier players are not lining up to go either place, and even when you can come up with some really good ones, you lack the depth that the top teams can accumulate. So injuries (and Arizona has a lot this year) have more effect than in a more talent-heavy program.

Unfortunately, if I see the problem in a long time P5 school, a P5 newbie - and UConn that lord knows wants to be in the P5 - then I don't see the solution. I do think the right coach is the most important thing; Schiano and RichRod at RU and UofA both raised the level - but Schiano plateaued out before he left RU and RichRod is somewhat mired down here, so . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom