Football Magazines appearing... | The Boneyard

Football Magazines appearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lindy's is first up. Showed up in Friday's delivery at the local news stand.

Reaction Score
Just picked it up. Big East teams ranked in order:
1. Louisville #23
2. Rutgers #36
3. Pittsburgh #44
4. Cincinnati #47
5. Connecticut #56
6. South Florida #57
7. Syracuse #75
8. Temple #106

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
That's way different than other predictions I have seen. Temple won't be that bad. Uconn and usf arre top 40. Ruty to high.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's way different than other predictions I have seen. Temple won't be that bad. Uconn and usf arre top 40. Ruty to high.
I agree. We'll be gunning for that top spot!!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

I guess the question is, who do you think Temple beats in conference this year? Assuming they struggle in the BE (one or two wins), the only other W's I see for them are Villanova and potentially Maryland. Two or three W's for the season would leave you close to the bottom 30 in FBS.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I guess the question is, who do you think Temple beats in conference this year? Assuming they struggle in the BE (one or two wins), the only other W's I see for them are Villanova and potentially Maryland. Two or three W's for the season would leave you close to the bottom 30 in FBS.

I see what your saying. I actually right noW think Ruty will be the last place big east team with cuse and temple 5 and 6 all beating each other. Maybe Pitt in the bottom half also with new coach.....

pj

Reaction Score
You really dislike the new Ruty coach Dan? They have some good players.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't think he's the answer to 100 years of building. Without Sanu and year 1 with new coaches I just don't see it. They needed a splash hire like leach type to keep the momentum GS built up.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's the answer to 100 years of building. Without Sanu and year 1 with new coaches I just don't see it. They needed a splash hire like leach type to keep the momentum GS built up.

And why do you think that we needed a splash type hire? What's your basis for your opinion?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
And why do you think that we needed a splash type hire? What's your basis for your opinion?

gs over the last couple years really had nj on lock down recruit wise. sure psu and a few schools got some good kids but rutgers had the staying home/family/nyc thing at the best level its ever been. your last couple classes reflect that. i think that nj and nyc are a wildcards for 90% of the kids this year and rutgers lost everything gs built up recruiting wise. the wall fell down basically. if rutgers brought in some name coach that people jump around about i think that wall gs had built would be continued mostly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
gs over the last couple years really had nj on lock down recruit wise. sure psu and a few schools got some good kids but rutgers had the staying home/family/nyc thing at the best level its ever been. your last couple classes reflect that. i think that nj and nyc are a wildcards for 90% of the kids this year and rutgers lost everything gs built up recruiting wise. the wall fell down basically. if rutgers brought in some name coach that people jump around about i think that wall gs had built would be continued mostly.

What does that have to do with their record this year. He was so bad in games they may finally play to their talent level.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What does that have to do with their record this year. He was so bad in games they may finally play to their talent level.

rutgers schedule is set up for them to have streaks. win 2, lose 3, win 4, lose 3 type of year. besides a big play from coleman who is going to catch the ball for a td? do they have a 1k back on the roster? i just don't see the O being there this year. throw in new coaches with new stuff....is the d as good as it was last year? they racked up some wins last year but did any of them make u say wow? maybe cincy?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
rutgers schedule is set up for them to have streaks. win 2, lose 3, win 4, lose 3 type of year. besides a big play from coleman who is going to catch the ball for a td? do they have a 1k back on the roster? i just don't see the O being there this year. throw in new coaches with new stuff....is the d as good as it was last year? they racked up some wins last year but did any of them make u say wow? maybe cincy?

You predicted them for last in a league with Syracuse and Temple. I don't know how good they are going to be but they have one of the better rosters in the league, certainly in the top half.

Reaction Score

Ok. Good points. But what's your expert analysis on why we could finish last? I mean is it becaise of our mediocre defense? Our lack of a ground game? Or terrible qb play? You must have something that'll have complete proof of this. However as it stands, this conference is up for grabs and that includes a tough Temple team. But definitely you guys should be the faves.

Reaction Score
Dan. Just a reminder, this past class was kept together by Flood, and helped by Pernetti. This staff was put together mainly, to go after some of the 2013 guys. We knew that we wouldn't get some of them, but just the ones we needed. Now, as for the 2014 kids, those relationships are getting built and beyond. It was a strategic move getting those members of the coaching staff. That's what was most important. He knew better than GS in that coaching isnt just about preparation but about building relationships the right way.

As for predicting mext season, I won't put so much stock into it. The season hasn't even started yet. Althogh only that school up north takes those predictions more seriousky because they have a name school in up NY.

Reaction Score
Just picked it up. Big East teams ranked in order:
1. Louisville #23
2. Rutgers #36
3. Pittsburgh #44
4. Cincinnati #47
5. Connecticut #56
6. South Florida #57
7. Syracuse #75
8. Temple #106

I see us ending up higher by the end of the season... at least in the 23 thru 44 range and bowl eligible....

Reaction Score
I see us ending up higher by the end of the season... at least in the 23 thru 44 range and bowl eligible....

I agree with you.

If you had asked me going into last year what would happen with the team my prediction would have been something like 7-5 given the QB situation, though, of course, I always hope for a surprise. The impact of having a new coach, getting to know, for PP, new players and adjusting to a new system was harder for the team than I expected and harder for PP.

This year, Rutgers has talent on paper but I think they will be similarly surprised at the kind of adjustment a new coach is for a team. As will Pitt, and for different reasons (new to the league) so will Temple.

No one on our schedule scares me too much, but nor are they too scared of us. It seems to me that we have some solid talent on this team and I believe HCP (with Deleone and Brown) will have these guys ready to surprise us again, this time in a positive way.

Just my two - cents and you can have it for free...I should probably be paying you.

Reaction Score
Just picked up Phil Steele's College Football: His preseason ranking of Big East Teams was:
1.USF
2.Louisville
3.Rutgers
4. Pittsburgh
5.Cincinnati
6.Connecticut
7.Syracuse
8.Temple

Reaction Score
Rutty will be Rutty again, not really good, but not really bad either. Their big WR Coleman is a differance maker and will seamlessly fill in for Sanu right away. I hated seeing how good Coleman was as a a freshman and how UConn has to face him for 3 more years.

pj

Reaction Score
If we get good QB play. We should win the conference.

I hope you're right ... Reading these magazines I think Louisville, USF, Rutgers, and UConn are all underrated nationally. Could be a real shootout for first place. Hope the parity in the conference doesn't make us look weaker than we are.

Reaction Score
This is pretty typical of where we start out due to our deficiencies in the prior season and in our level of recruiting for the new season. Until we show that we have overcome the problems that plagued us last year and that we haven't developed new problems for this year (e.g. defensive line or offensive line) we won't have much credbility. That's OK. Let's start under the radar and build something that will impress. Every year I expect that our offense will improve and that we will be able to present a balanced attack that is unpredictable and harder to defend. Hopefully this year we have the pieces to do that. Last year I hoped that we were switching to an aggressive attacking defense. We found we didn't have the necessary personnel to succeed with that and we did what we could do well. Hopefully we now have the personnel to run this succesfully. Special teams started out having problems with directional punts and kickoffs and got better as the season progressed. Same with runbacks where Williams couldn't seem to break one at first but then the blocking got better and he really turned it on. Teggart was great and we will have to see what his replacement can do. He was needed big time because of our inability to move into the red zone consistently with big passing plays or long runs. I am hoping that we can move the ball much more consistently this year where field goals are not as large a part of our scoring. I am cautiously optomistic this can all happen but by the same token we could also still have problems in some of these areas and also develop problems in areas that were OK. I don't feel that anyone in our conference will be able to dominate us or present the type of challenge that WVU did every year. I feel that we can be successful with the personnel we have barring key injuries where we don't have enough depth. I think we will challenge for the lead in the conference when all is said and done. I don't believe we will be close to the bottom of the conference as is normally predicted. One area that I believe we will be better is closing out games. We gave away games last year we should have won. This year I think we will pressure the opposing defense more and not take as many sacks. Hopefully we will not spring a new leak (INT's). I expect a better team to take the field this year. I anticipate a better record with a top three finish in the standings. I think the coaching staff and the team will be better prepared to compete. Just my usual spring and summer optimism but maybe this year I'll be right!!

Reaction Score
Sure we need better QB play, but we have too many Phil Steele 1st team preseason players to be this underrated and overlooked. Even he didn't read his own tea leaves correctly. We'll get better QB play and build momentum week to week. This is our year.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right ... Reading these magazines I think Louisville, USF, Rutgers, and UConn are all underrated nationally. Could be a real shootout for first place. Hope the parity in the conference doesn't make us look weaker than we are.
We need to win our OOC games. Winning all our OOC games would be VERY nice.

Reaction Score
I read articles like this and see 2 star this and 3 star that, and it becomes very clear to me these authors know very little about their subject matter. Furthering that, being critical of Brown and Jones in our defensive backfield last season holds some merrit. But, in the context of being RS frosh, their progression through the season and their athleticism, there is much to look forward to a the safety position. Not to mention that I thought Lee looked terrific in the spring game.

These guys do a lot of their analysis from the recruiting rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom