Football improvement this season. | The Boneyard

Football improvement this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Stop being so critical. UConn has improved dramatically throughout the season. Our offense has been holding the other teams to zero points the last several weeks on our first possession. And it is also my understanding that no UConn player has a fake internet girlfriend. Both positive signs. And no one should despair that the quarterback of the future ,Boyle, well, is running out of future.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Your expectations are way too low. We've achieved level, "Not embarrassing ourselves against non-competitive teams." Hardly something worth celebrating.

Reaction Score
Your expectations are way too low. We've achieved level, "Not embarrassing ourselves against non-competitive teams." Hardly something worth celebrating.
You're expectations are too high. How anyone can say they "embarrassed themselves" wasn't watching the same game. Both teams coming in were 2-6. Both teams had similar offensive numbers and TD outputs. Very close game and anything but embarrassing. Enough of this talk about get embarrassed. It didn't happen. They were 6 yards away from tying that football game. The fans were their showing strong support to the end. Thats what this team is currently, a non-competitive team. Accept and stop expecting multi touchdown wins against everyone.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The win certainly didn't come on the field last night. But where UCONN did win was probably in the most important place (in terms of getting out of the AAC one day): in the stands.

APA

Reaction Score
The win certainly didn't come on the field last night. But where UCONN did win was probably in the most important place (in terms of getting out of the AAC one day): in the stands.
You just don't have any clue, do you?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
By this logic, Fresno State (who has a similar capacity stadium) will receive a P5 conference invite before us. Fresno State is 4-6 and averages 6,000 more people per home game. Every home game they fill 87% of their stadium, while we fill 71%.

Explain to me where the logic is.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
You're expectations are too high. How anyone can say they "embarrassed themselves" wasn't watching the same game. Both teams coming in were 2-6. Both teams had similar offensive numbers and TD outputs. Very close game and anything but embarrassing. Enough of this talk about get embarrassed. It didn't happen. They were 6 yards away from tying that football game. The fans were their showing strong support to the end. Thats what this team is currently, a non-competitive team. Accept and stop expecting multi touchdown wins against everyone.

No, mine are right where they should be. They are to not be 2-6 against one of the worst schedules in FBS. They are not to allow a service academy to run to ball for 5+ yards a carry for 8 minute clips at a time. They are not to have defenders wandering around the field, facing the wrong direction because some 260lb lineman turned them around. They are not to lose to the likes of such powerhouses USF and Tulane or too be elated because we beat UCF and hung around against ECU.

My expectations are to play crisp football and if not win the dumpster fire of a conference, at least compete for the title until the last weeks of the season. They are to play in a bowl game every year. They are to be better than the freeloading P5 members who used to inhabit the Big East.

Accepting anything less, even in a down year, and even with a new coach is to not care enough to continue this experiment in top level FB. Do or do not, this trying bullsnot is for losers.

Btw, your reading comprehension stinks. We did not embarrass ourselves yesterday. Not exactly an accomplishment to be proud of.

Reaction Score
By this logic, Fresno State (who has a similar capacity stadium) will receive a P5 conference invite before us. Fresno State is 4-6 and averages 6,000 more people per home game. Every home game they fill 87% of their stadium, while we fill 71%.

Explain to me where the logic is.
Fresno State has nothing else going for them. Different market. Different region. Not a comparison IMO.

Reaction Score
No, mine are right where they should be. They are to not be 2-6 against one of the worst schedules in FBS. They are not to allow a service academy to run to ball for 5+ yards a carry for 8 minute clips at a time. They are not to have defenders wandering around the field, facing the wrong direction because some 260lb lineman turned them around. They are not to lose to the likes of such powerhouses USF and Tulane or too be elated because we beat UCF and hung around against ECU.

My expectations are to play crisp football and if not win the dumpster fire of a conference, at least compete for the title until the last weeks of the season. They are to play in a bowl game every year. They are to be better than the freeloading P5 members who used to inhabit the Big East.

Accepting anything less, even in a down year, and even with a new coach is to not care enough to continue this experiment in top level FB. Do or do not, this trying bullsnot is for losers.
And none of that has happened thru 9 games now. Accept it. Face the facts. This is a non-competitive football team right now.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Fresno State has nothing else going for them. Different market. Different region. Not a comparison IMO.
Exactly. Just saying attendance will get us somewhere is a lie. It starts on the field.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
And none of that has happened thru 9 games now. Accept it. Face the facts. This is a non-competitive football team right now.

What makes you think anyone doesn't understand that? To accept it is to be happy about it. Why are you happy about it?

Reaction Score
What makes you think anyone doesn't understand that? To accept it is to be happy about it. Why are you happy about it?
By no means am I happy about it. I'm done complaining about it and sick of hearing others complaining about it. I want this team/program to win and succeed just as much as anyone if not more. Complaining won't change anything. Continuing to show support and optimism might (just my over ally optimistic view). At this point in the season, to expect anything else than what we have seen through the first 9 games is not logical. This team is exactly what we have see thus far. They are young, inexperienced yet gaining experience with every game. Look at the turn around from Memphis. Sadly, Uconn football is in the position they are in for a reason. I want them to big time. I want them to be Nationally ranked. But again, to expect anything more at this point in the season than what we have seen thus far is lunacy.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You just don't have any clue, do you?

Huh? What do you not understand? UCONN just drew 15+K to a God awful game between two God awful teams. You don't think that can help UCONN in any way/shape/form? Scheduling: yes. Demonstration of NYC presence: yes. Ability to help deliver major markets to P5 conferences: yes.

Again, sports are cyclical. UCONN football will be good again. I don't know how long the wait will be but, when it does, you can easily turn 15K UCONN fans into 30K UCONN fans. That, my friend, is nothing but positive for UCONN.

So, what is it that I don't have a clue about???

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So what exactly got Rutgers the invite?

Reaction Score
I think it's a great thing we brought 15,000 + down there. Certainly can't hurt. I hope we play down there more.

This was basically our bowl game this year and we traveled good.

Which makes the performance and outcome so disappointing.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that President Herbst's phone is ringing off the hook today because we drew 15K fans to the game last night. UCONN still has work to do. What I am saying is that the fan showing exceeded many people's expectations, including my own.

2012 Rutgers vs Army drew just a shade over 30K. Rutgers was 7-1 heading into that game with hopes of, at the time, reaching a BCS game. UCONN just drew the same amount of fans as a 7-1 Rutgers team drew in a season that we were 2-6 heading into the game. Rutgers is often viewed as the program that most New Yorkers follow. UCONN, in a horrible season, just drew a comparable number of fans as them.

These are the types of mini-victories that UCONN should build off of to promote itself as a P5 school. On the field play will hopefully improve at some point. When it does, the fans support will be there.

APA

Reaction Score
Huh? What do you not understand? UCONN just drew 15+K to a God awful game between two God awful teams. You don't think that can help UCONN in any way/shape/form? Scheduling: yes. Demonstration of NYC presence: yes. Ability to help deliver major markets to P5 conferences: yes.

Again, sports are cyclical. UCONN football will be good again. I don't know how long the wait will be but, when it does, you can easily turn 15K UCONN fans into 30K UCONN fans. That, my friend, is nothing but positive for UCONN.

So, what is it that I don't have a clue about???
If you think that bringing a small number of people a small distance then, yeah, you don't have a clue as to what conference realignment is all about.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If you think that bringing a small number of people a small distance then, yeah, you don't have a clue as to what conference realignment is all about.

Humor me. What is conference realignment all about?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
By no means am I happy about it. I'm done complaining about it and sick of hearing others complaining about it. I want this team/program to win and succeed just as much as anyone if not more. Complaining won't change anything. Continuing to show support and optimism might (just my over ally optimistic view). At this point in the season, to expect anything else than what we have seen through the first 9 games is not logical. This team is exactly what we have see thus far. They are young, inexperienced yet gaining experience with every game. Look at the turn around from Memphis. Sadly, Uconn football is in the position they are in for a reason. I want them to big time. I want them to be Nationally ranked. But again, to expect anything more at this point in the season than what we have seen thus far is lunacy.

That's not how college sports works. Do you think Brady Hoke is getting canned for any reason other that the ire of the boosters? If the money is rolling in and the fans are not banging on the glass, then nothing will change. So if you care at all, show it. We're not talking about putting for sale signs on the coach's lawn or buying domain names of www.firemycoach.com , but on this site, the only place UConn fans have to have their disappointment heard short of writing and calling the AD, you are going have to accept that.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Having a winning football team that generates money.

Okay. So I have said repeatedly in my posts that sports are cyclical. UCONN football will be competitive again at some point.

So can you see that if UCONN can bring some 15+K in an awful season, that it can bring MORE fans (and money)in a good season?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Okay. So I have said repeatedly in my posts that sports are cyclical. UCONN football will be competitive again at some point.

So can you see that if UCONN can bring some 15+K in an awful season, that it can bring MORE fans (and money)in a good season?
This is true. But usually good programs aren't cyclical. I saw you compared Rutgers attendance to ours at Yankee Stadium. Rutgers had 2 losing seasons in 10 years. Every other season they went to a bowl game. And they still got an invite to the B1G because football and NYC connection.

We have had 4 straight losing seasons. Not just like 6-7 seasons, like 3-9 or 2-10 seasons.

Dooley

Reaction Score
This is true. But usually good programs aren't cyclical. I saw you compared Rutgers attendance to ours at Yankee Stadium. Rutgers had 2 losing seasons in 10 years. Every other season they went to a bowl game. And they still got an invite to the B1G because football and NYC connection.

We have had 4 straight losing seasons. Not just like 6-7 seasons, like 3-9 or 2-10 seasons.

Even better for UCONN's showing last night. UCONN drew as many (or close to as many) fans to Yankee Stadium despite this sh1tty season that followed several more sh1tty seasons as RU, who is considered the #1 team in NYC, in the midst of good seasons.

My point is that once UCONN football improves (hopefully soon!), then 15+K turns into 20, 25 or 30K. That means a sold-out Yankee Stadium and more money.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Even better for UCONN's showing last night. UCONN drew as many (or close to as many) fans to Yankee Stadium despite this sh1tty season that followed several more sh1tty seasons as RU, who is considered the #1 team in NYC, in the midst of good seasons.

My point is that once UCONN football improves (hopefully soon!), then 15+K turns into 20, 25 or 30K. That means a sold-out Yankee Stadium and more money.
There's no doubt winning will bring back fans. But saying RU had several sh1tty seasons is not entirely accurate. I think most of us would love to have a winning record 8/10 years and go to bowl games in those 8 years.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Just saying attendance will get us somewhere is a lie. It starts on the field.
I think you failed to see my point. Uconn has two Nationally known and recognized programs. Solid academics and other sporting programs. They are a big player in the Northeast. They media and tv market in t

Uconn isn't a good program, nor is it a well known program. It hasn't been around as long as many of the other big programs, not even close. Hasn't even been D-1A for two decades. It is essentially a start up and program trying to build its name and resume so to speak. To me cyclical for the start up is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom