Follow up article on Megan Walker in the Athletic | The Boneyard

Follow up article on Megan Walker in the Athletic

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not much insight on her decision process but a few noteworthy quotes

That meant rediscovering the player who averaged 25.9 points as a senior at Monacan High School in Chesterfield County, Va., led her team to a 30-0 season and was ranked the No. 1 recruit nationally by ESPN. So, Walker turned to her parents and then-UConn assistant Marisa Moseley, who helped Walker break down different aspects of the game she didn’t understand her freshman year.

“(She) made me understand and made me have that passion for the game again — never giving up and always believing in myself,” Walker said. “Like I can do this, you can do that. It’s just a process.”

Collier, Walker’s teammate at UConn for two seasons, spoke with her last week after she declared. Walker wanted to know what to expect in the WNBA, and the 2019 WNBA Rookie of the Year with the Minnesota Lynx seemed like a good source.

“I think, honestly, all UConn players translate pretty well to the pros because of how they prepare us mentally,” Collier said. “You obviously need some physical talent, but being mentally stronger is such a huge part of the game and they prepare us so well from Day 1 at UConn. So you pick up plays quicker, you can adjust to things quicker. I think she’ll be just fine.”

20/03/25/how-megan-walker-transformed-her-game-at-uconn-all-the-way-to-the-wnba-draft/?source=weeklyemail

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not much insight on her decision process but a few noteworthy quotes
I think Meg made the right decision for herself. She had a great statistical season which would have been tough to replicate next year with the talented freshmen. Also this past season she was the focal point of the team. Next season everyone will be talking Paige morning noon and night. UCONN needs another taller post to take the heat off of Olivia. Meg isn't the tall post, Edwards is. Meg's role would have changed and perhaps reducing her stat line and value to the WNBA. With Covid-19 who knows if there will be a next season for college and WNBA. Her value may have taken a hit.

Reaction Score
T think that with the situation evolving as it is that perhaps she, if possible, might rethink her decision. I'm sure that if she has completed the academic work for her Jr. year Geno would welcome her back and it very well might be to her advantage to do so.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
T think that with the situation evolving as it is that perhaps she, if possible, might rethink her decision. I'm sure that if she has completed the academic work for her Jr. year Geno would welcome her back and it very well might be to her advantage to do so.
When the first thread on Megan's declaring for the WNBA was started, a poster replied to a post of mine that by declaring for the WNBA, she gave up any remaining collegiate eligibility (which I believe is different from the NBA). So Geno might not have any say.
However, the NCAA and WBNA are in uncharted territory nowadays, so who knows what might happen.
Like what happens when the WBNA holds it's virtual draft and then the NCAA grants 2020 seniors another year of eligibility? And what happens if underclassmen are drafted and the NCAA allows them to play another year too?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom