Foley the only coach retained... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Foley the only coach retained...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess tonight's BB game is a must see, if it wasn't already. HCBD will be addressing the crowd during the 2nd timeout. Hopefully it is shown after the fact. I'm pretty sure the students will love him. Hopefully he get's them to show up in force for the BYU game to open the season.

There's no exams or Thanksgiving break in August right? ;)

Reaction Score
Diaco said something cryptic in the Courant article on Monday ( I believe)...something to the effect of wanting to see the plans the current coaches would present. Wondering if some of the incumbents couldn't figure out that leadership style after working under the PP regime where he and GDL pretty much ran the show. My take was that Diaco was looking for creative, energetic, idea guys. After working in a different culture for the past few years, I'm sure current assistants just don't have that M.O. And in their defense, how could they?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is the best case scenario in my opinion... in Foley you've got a guy who has consistently put together top offensive lines at multiple levels out of walk-ons and lightly recruited guys. I think he could coach anywhere he wants to and where he wants to is UConn.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
http://articles.courant.com/2013-10...016_1_paul-pasqualoni-mike-foley-warde-manuel

Article on Foley from October. Interesting bit about GDL...

Last edited:

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Linebackers excelled. canning wholley was a bad move

I would keep in mind that Diaco was Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/LBs for Notre Dame. He has coached Linebackers a LOT in his career. I agree that Wholley has done well here and wish him best but I trust Diaco to keep us in a good spot. Keep Calm and Fill Your Energy Bucket

Reaction Score
That's a nice "thank you" and kick in the ass to T.J. But, maybe he wanted out. In any event, its BD's team and he has a vision and plan undoubtedly. I'm pretty excited to see how things unfold. Hard not to like him and be all in.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'm thinking it is a widely-accepted reality that a new coach = a total flush of the bowl. No one in the program is shocked at being let go/shown the door. When Pasqualoni had the coffin door shut on him the coaches saw the black clouds rolling in. Kudos to them for staying focused on ending strong. Will look good on a resume and perhaps gets a good word from Coach D.

Reaction Score
ANY of the guys that were holdover's from Edsall's staff had to know the writing was on the wall.

Reaction Score
I totally agree that BD should be able to bring in whoever he wants. But to say any hold-overs from Edsall's staff should have "seen the writing on the wall" seems a little off. Edsall's staff are the ones that were here when we won.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
MASSHusky said:
I totally agree that BD should be able to bring in whoever he wants. But to say any hold-overs from Edsall's staff should have "seen the writing on the wall" seems a little off. Edsall's staff are the ones that were here when we won.

They were also here when we lost

Reaction Score
Yes they were...BUT show me one FBS level program that has a majority of the staff stay through 2 coaching changes...where the second coach was let go for not winning enough. Those guys from Edsall's staff were directly responsible for recruiting 9/10's of this roster. One of the only asst coaches I have ever seen survive multiple coaches was Art Kehoe at Miami.

Reaction Score
The fact that Foley is only referred to as Tight Ends Coach rather than mentioning the O-Line (which is the place I assume he's wanted for) makes me wonder about the accuracy of the info. Nevertheless, this is Diaco's team and as long as he doesn't have GDL's phone number I'm willing to give him the keys to the kingdom.
actually states lower on the page that foley took over the OL after GDL was dismissed.

Reaction Score
how is that possible? I mean wouldn't you want some continuity? you have to know get the kids somehow, their strengths and weaknesses. Just strange.
In BD's intro the only thing he said that was a clue to who would stay or go was that he wanted to play smashmouth on the Oline. That was Foley's strength.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Based on BD's statement, it sounds like current and former players and others around the program were effusive about Foley's merits. Others were either too new or not equally beloved. Foley is now with his third HC at UConn and has a decade's worth of cred amongst the lettermans club.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Based on BD's statement, it sounds like current and former players and others around the program were effusive about Foley's merits. Others were either too new or not equally beloved. Foley is now with his third HC at UConn and has a decade's worth of cred amongst the lettermans club.

I know personally the families of a number of our offensive linemen over the past 8-10 years and everything I heard (either directly from the kids or second hand from a parent) was absolute praise for Foley. I also heard from a former lineman (who played at a reasonably high collegiate level some 35 years ago and coached at a very high HS level for decades) considerable praise on Foley's ability to teach blocking fundamentals.

What Foley does best is not innovative or exciting which likely plays a large role in why there haven't been vultures circling our campus for years trying to pluck him off our staff. He also is far from perfect (as at out best under Foley we've never been much better than adequate in pass blocking but some of that may also be attributed to the level of our skill position players and the level of teaching of said players) but we are very lucky to have him and if I was told going in that we would end up retaining only one of the coaches from the final run of this past season, Foley is absolutely the one I would want.

Reaction Score
I didn't even see the thread on the job listings. This is simple. Foley is better than the guy Diaco had in mind or Diaco had Foley in mind to begin with.

No way,Diaco would be hired, and would take this job without a well developed plan to fill the staff. These guys don't just wing it.

Reaction Score
I know personally the families of a number of our offensive linemen over the past 8-10 years and everything I heard (either directly from the kids or second hand from a parent) was absolute praise for Foley. I also heard from a former lineman (who played at a reasonably high collegiate level some 35 years ago and coached at a very high HS level for decades) considerable praise on Foley's ability to teach blocking fundamentals.

What Foley does best is not innovative or exciting which likely plays a large role in why there haven't been vultures circling our campus for years trying to pluck him off our staff. He also is far from perfect (as at out best under Foley we've never been much better than adequate in pass blocking but some of that may also be attributed to the level of our skill position players and the level of teaching of said players) but we are very lucky to have him and if I was told going in that we would end up retaining only one of the coaches from the final run of this past season, Foley is absolutely the one I would want.

I am an offensive lineman aficionado, I don't know why, but I am. It is evident from watching the Huskies play, that Coach Foley is a very good teacher. You will rarely see an offensive lineman go the wrong way on an assignment or miss a blitzer. They are always in the right position to make a block. They have not always made said blocks, but not for lack of being where they are supposed to.

I am glad Coach Diaco chose to keep him. It shows me that he did his research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom