Fly Swat'ting :) | The Boneyard

Fly Swat'ting :)

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
ONO's minutes and why fly swat'ting is not hurting her minutes.

Her stats from the last 10 games:
1584485027320.png

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A stationary block (just holding the blocking hand high and vertical, with little or no forward action) not only avoids fouls but also tends to keep the ball in play. Since it's not what the offense was expecting, the defense should be able to get those blocked balls at least 60% of the time when they remain in play. That's a lot better than allowing the team whose shot was blocked to inbound the ball near your basket for a second chance.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
A stationary block (just holding the blocking hand high and vertical, with little or no forward action) not only avoids fouls but also tends to keep the ball in play. Since it's not what the offense was expecting, the defense should be able to get those blocked balls at least 60% of the time when they remain in play. That's a lot better than allowing the team whose shot was blocked to inbound the ball near your basket for a second chance.
Amen Joe Swattin's a no-no. Whether it's a block attempt or a steal attempt. It's the most common non-contact foul call.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

When we're talking about 3 or 4 blocks a game; I'll personally take blasting a few of those up into the stands to discourage others from putting up shots around the rim.

Reaction Score
where the ball ends up can be effected by the position of the player who's shooting not just the angle/position of the shot blocker.............obviously if she's trailing the shooter the ball is going into the stands.............I've also seen ONO purposely block shots straight down on some occasions.......one or two energetic blocks early on serves the dual purposes of defensive motivator and a warning shot .........

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I tend to think snatching your shot out of the air or tapping it to a teammate and going the other way on a fast break for a lay up would be a lot more damaging to a players confidence that drawing a foul or getting a do over.

Anyway. I no longer give a sh#t because Geno has no problem with the hack/swat. If he had a problem with it she wouldn't be going into her Junior year still doing it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I tend to think snatching your shot out of the air or tapping it to a teammate and going the other way on a fast break for a lay up would be a lot more damaging to a players confidence that drawing a foul or getting a do over.

Anyway. I no longer give a sh#t because Geno has no problem with the hack/swat. If he had a problem with it she wouldn't be going into her Junior year still doing it.

I think I’m going to adopt your point of view for the same reason. ;)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It isn't so much the swat, it's that she uses her right hand on drives from the right. She needs to use her left hand on those and there will be fewer fouls called.
Pheesa was outstanding blocking shots with either hand. Unfortunately, it’s not a technique that most Bigs are comfortable with.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When we're talking about 3 or 4 blocks a game; I'll personally take blasting a few of those up into the stands to discourage others from putting up shots around the rim.
You keep valuing flash over substance. A ball that ONO swats into the stands results in a possession for the other team= not a good thing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Tina Charles went into her Junior year missing an amazing amount of bunnies. Geno & CD don’t want this & and are probably more frustrated than all of us fans combined. This team also has no alternative to ONO playing in the post. Geno frustration with ONO peaked at crunch time of the Baylor game. Geno has repeatedly criticized her practice habits. At the shoot around before the TN game Geno told her point blank “Don’t bother showing up if that is the way you plan on playing.” Geno and CD are pushing her buttons, it up to ONO to respond.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I do remember playing at Hartford Public. We got the ball got to a great outside shooter (who shall remain nameless) wide open in the corner. Public had a returning all state player about 6'7". He put that shot about 12 rows deep. Game over. 55 years ago and I still remember watching that block and how I felt. Blocks can intimidate but at about 1 super block a year, swatting doesn't justify the 2 or 3 fouls a game it can cause.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pheesa was outstanding blocking shots with either hand. Unfortunately, it’s not a technique that most Bigs are comfortable with.

We talked about this before. Shot blocking is an art. Your "prolific” shot blockers have 3 things that allow them to block a lot of shots.
1. Position. - You can't block a shot if you are out of position. I don't care how high you can jump. What happens when a player is out of position on defense? It usually results in an easy score for the other team.
2. Timing. This is a must for obvious reasons.
3. Hops (leaping ability). A player with hops will block shots that players without it won't. You can have position and timing. If you can't jump, you're just swiping at air. :confused:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom