Floyd, Karaban, Clingan | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Floyd, Karaban, Clingan

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Akok’s inability or unwillingness to put the ball on the floor really hurts his chances to play more. Did he once this season take more than 2 bounces before giving the ball up?
Now that is valid. He has to improve that. But until late season Polley never did it either. I don’t think he lacks the ability. He did it as a freshman. Clearly I’m an Akok fan, but I hope we all realize how much better the team will be if he can be a major contributor.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Now that is valid. He has to improve that. But until late season Polley never did it either. I don’t think he lacks the ability. He did it as a freshman. Clearly I’m an Akok fan, but I hope we all realize how much better the team will be if he can be a major contributor.
With small improvements that can mostly be confidence and playing related he is the ideal 4 everyone is calling to play next to Sanogo.

This board is writing off so many guys who didn’t get real chances on a team that went about 10 deep. Over the years guys have consistently stepped up when they have the opportunity. Idk why this would be different here. We’re talking about a 4 who shoots above 40% from 3 and can be one of the top shot blockers in the country. Is that not something we want to trust Hurley to coach over the season?

Reaction Score
Does he have to clean up certain aspects of his D? Absolutely, but that applies to almost everyone. He did some things well, especially the weak side help, and in his limited time he knocked down threes which was something we really need.
Everyone having aspects of their D they can work on does not mean that everyone is at the same level. Weak side help is great but ultimately the most important aspect is that each player can D up their man and Akok just couldn’t do that this past season. Again, I would love for him to come back with that area significantly improved, and I think it’s very possible, I just don’t think Hurley can count on it.

Reaction Score
My friend the coach at one of the basketball focused prep schools in RI doesn't expect him to really see the court much at UConn. I asked why and he said "too slow" for that system. So I said, why recruit him? Answer was: "had to" for the optics.
So, he’ll be gone after 1 year, or after 1 semester?

Reaction Score
It’s necessary that whoever is playing the 4 can be relied on to score when they get the ball in the post or for an open jumper. Playing Whaley at the four was a detriment on offense

What Akok does on O, a couple of 3s and really nothing else including no offensive rebounds or keeping the ball alive, will not make up for what Whaley did overall especially on D. His improvement will need to be dramatic. Johnson as well and staying out of foul trouble which Samson did very well unfortunately. Hey I hope they both get better as they’re good kids with ability. But for now, our 4 is scary. May have to play small ball a lot I guess it depends on the portal as well.

Reaction Score
My friend the coach at one of the basketball focused prep schools in RI doesn't expect him to really see the court much at UConn. I asked why and he said "too slow" for that system. So I said, why recruit him? Answer was: "had to" for the optics.

Well glad your buddy isn’t one of our coaches. :oops: The kid has the skills at 7’1 to play and it’s up to the coach to find a way to make him fit despite the shortcomings early in his career. Then it’s up to him to get himself in shape to do more every year to adapt to Hurley’s system as well. But he can score and pass, rebound by mistake he will play. Up to him and DH how much.

Reaction Score
Karaban is the real deal, I expect him to be first off the bench and maybe some starts later on. As for Clingan, Hurley can’t screw around with Clingan as a freshman, like Ollie did with Josh and Hurley continued doing. The kid is the real deal. Clingan needs to get thrown into the fire, with Moore, Young, and Hurley teaching along the way, doing that will pay big dividends later on. Floyd can shoot it, so he will see major minutes.
Yes.

Reaction Score
Yes.
We have no idea if Floyd can shoot it when it matters. Watch shoot around at a UConn game and Gaffney doesn’t miss. When it’s game time he doesn’t make lol.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see us adapt and play Clingan exclusively in drop coverage, even zone. Maybe give him some run in the high hedge vs cupcakes, but otherwise use it sparingly.
See, you do get it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We have no idea if Floyd can shoot it when it matters. Watch shoot around at a UConn game and Gaffney doesn’t miss. When it’s game time he doesn’t make lol.
Except for his sophomore year when he shot quite well. Last year was an anomaly. I expect his shooting to return.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom